Where do you wash your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crackodawn said:
I wash the MH about 12 times a year. All of the gear to do this is in one bucket. I use warm water to wash and cold water to rinse.

Impressive!  Got a photo of that bucket?  I'd love to see how you have it all together, sounds pretty efficient.  Unfortunately I don't have a factory on-board compressor (nor would anyone without air brakes or suspension on a DP) but I did purchase a used tank, compressor, and air horns to install sometime this year.  I like the idea of adding a pressure washer to that collection of air tools.

scottydl said:
Impressive!  Got a photo of that bucket?  I'd love to see how you have it all together, sounds pretty efficient.  Unfortunately I don't have a factory on-board compressor (nor would anyone without air brakes or suspension on a DP) but I did purchase a used tank, compressor, and air horns to install sometime this year.  I like the idea of adding a pressure washer to that collection of air tools.

I'm washing the MH tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post them. You won't need a very large tank for pressure wash, set it to fine mist spray.

brennaman said:
OK may sound like a silly question, but we just took possesion of a new to us RV, and I would like to give it a good wash and wax.  Living in a cul-de-sac, it barely fits in the driveway.  Also we are not allowed to leave the RV in the driveway overnight.  ( my neighbors said they don't mind, so prior to a trip we will probably have it there overnight before a trip).  Is it OK to wash your RV at a campsite, or do they frown on that?  Or do campsites have places you can park your RV to wash it?  We store it in a cave, and I could wax it there, but not wash it.  Thanks  Phil
  It would not be a good idea to wash any RV at Blue Beacon. Had my Work and Play washed at one in Texas and they used an acid wash on it. Left cloudy mess allover trailer.

We just drove though a ton of construction and in one place, even though it was nice to have the dust watered down by a water truck, it made a terrible mess of the coach.  When we got camped, the campground allowed us to wash it.  My husband puts on a coat of carnuba wax at least once a year, usually in the Spring.  We got out our buckets, the long brush, hose and lots of towels.  The coach cleaned up like a charm,  He washed it with a little Dawn in cold water, rinsed it, then I came along and towel dried....it sparkled right up.  Of course it took half a day; but was worth it.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
We just drove though a ton of construction and in one place, even though it was nice to have the dust watered down by a water truck, it made a terrible mess of the coach.  When we got camped, the campground allowed us to wash it.  My husband puts on a coat of carnuba wax at least once a year, usually in the Spring.  We got out our buckets, the long brush, hose and lots of towels.  The coach cleaned up like a charm,  He washed it with a little Dawn in cold water, rinsed it, then I came along and towel dried....it sparkled right up.  Of course it took half a day; but was worth it.

Marsha~

Dishwashing liquid is not good for your wax and paint. Get some liquid car wash, Blue Coral has some with soap and wax all in one solution. I bought mine at WalMart, less than four bucks.
J

Marsha,

I use  the Protect-all wash and it works well and does not need a rinse if you are where they don't allow washing.  I use it to wash off the bugs and stuff each night after traveling and have never had a problem with a park.  Half a bucket of water and a cap or 2 full of wash liquid and it does a good job.  When necessary I will touch up the front with either Protect-all wax or Dri-wash & guard to keep a good coat of wax on the MH.

On the road, where available and needed we wash at Blue Beacon.  Most know to use care with RVs but check to be sure.  They do not wash the roof but do have an overhead rinse that does a fair job.  There are other truck washes but we only use them if they are recommended on this or some other forums.

Haven't washed my coach with water in nearly two years since I started using The Solution waterless cleaner.  Paired with my California Duster it has really worked well for us.

More and more campgrounds prohibit washing. Having worked in campgrounds ourselves for several years, we know how often wash problems generate complaints at the office, so it's not surprising.  Puddles and over-spray onto people or other RVs are the main complaints.  Some places charge a fee, sort of an obnoxious tax, to keep a lid on washing without prohibiting it altogether.

I touch ours up regularly with a spritzer of 15-20% vinegar & water & a microfiber cloth, but it does remove wax as well as dirt. If I am where they permit it, I use a good old bucket of water, Turtlewax Wash, and the long handled wash brush and a hose.

The Protectall Wash does a nice job too and needs no rinse. Great for a bucket & sponge or brush wash when using a hose is not allowed or possible.

Wendy said:
A lot of do-it-yourself carwashes have an open bay where you can wash an RV if you have enough quarters.

I was in one of those near Spokane recently as they also have a FREE (ask donation to charity) dump station.

There was a catwalk on both sides as well so you could reach over the roof and get good leverage on the upper sides.
No buckets allowed but I keep 35mm film cans full of quarters around for this sort of thing (about $7.50 per).

Water-less wash,,,,,,,protectall,,,,for the last 4 years.......only soap and water one time..............

Do it in sections,,,,,,stays showroom clean and shiny.....

I am new at this motorhome thing.  But I washed, with a bucket of water and a long handled brush the front of the motorhome and the windshield a couple of places.  Bugs you know.  I then rinsed with a clean bucket of water and the brush.  Noone said anything about it.  But I could see a problem washing one in a park.

Jim, we use Protect-all as well and it works great most of the time.  However, what we went through coming into East Yellowstone left the coach caked with mud; Protect-All does not do a good job in that situation, so it needed a good wash.  Like you, Tim gets out the ladder every time we pull into a camp to clean the front windshield and remove bugs from the front of the coach.

Marsha~

brennaman said:
OK may sound like a silly question, but we just took possesion of a new to us RV, and I would like to give it a good wash and wax.  Living in a cul-de-sac, it barely fits in the driveway.  Also we are not allowed to leave the RV in the driveway overnight.  ( my neighbors said they don't mind, so prior to a trip we will probably have it there overnight before a trip).  Is it OK to wash your RV at a campsite, or do they frown on that?  Or do campsites have places you can park your RV to wash it?  We store it in a cave, and I could wax it there, but not wash it.  Thanks  Phil

I have same issue but no truck washes nearby and even though my neighbors said they didn't mind my RV in the driveway one of them still called the cops complaining about a vehicle that didn't belong in the neighborhood. Anyway, I will do a poor mans wash at the CG where I bring a bucket and sponge and wash the painted lower portion and the front and then do my best to rinse it and then use micro fiber towels to dry. Most people don't even notice I'm cleaning it because I do it either real early in the am or at dusk. I always tell the CG clerk/owner/whatever that I may wipe the RV down and none have said no yet, even at no wash CG's. As long as it doesn't look like you're doing a full fledged detail you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom