Slim Slider anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Has anyone used/installed the Slim Slider storage bin slide trays? The rails and the tray base are all-aluminum, so there's no need for plywood. However, they're quite a bit more expensive than the equivalent Joey Bed slide trays.

Tom said:
Has anyone used/installed the Slim Slider storage bin slide trays? The rails and the tray base are all-aluminum, so there's no need for plywood. However, they're quite a bit more expensive than the equivalent Joey Bed slide trays.

Based on Terry Brewer's recommendation, we had SS install a slider in our coach. Our coach came with a tray in the front bay that was a lot narrower than the bay. They relocated the factory slide to the rear bay where is was a perfect fit and installed their slider in the front bay. It fits perfectly in the space, I have lost very little space with it, it opens to either side and I have full access to nearly the whole tray from either side. The owners are easy to work with and if you take your coach to the factory in Orafino, they do a great job of installing. Worth the extra bucks for the tray over Joey Bed. Highly recommended.

They usually attend the FMCA shows and will probably be at Indio and Pomona in January and March. Usually offer a show discount for trays ordered at the shows.

Thanks Bernie. I talked with them at QZ and they seemed to have a much better product than Joey Bed, but of course I was looking at a bench top setup. I might wait until one of the rallies. BTW do you have plastic bins or metal? Mine are plastic and I was wondering if I needed to have them locate the lower supports over the metal braces for the bins rather than relying on the plastic bin to take the load.

[edit]Typo[/edit]

Tom said:
Has anyone used/installed the Slim Slider storage bin slide trays?

Terry had one installed in my bay.  It goes almost the  entire width of the coach.  As Bernie mentioned we lose only about  one inch on each side and what I like the most about it is that despite how heavy I load it, (recall I paint rocks) it  is always  easy for me to slide in and out.  The release mechanism  is secure in locking it into place and  releases easily.  I really really like it and they are wonderful  folks with whom to work.  We mailed them the measurements and they had it ready for us on our way up north for installation.  They even filed out a  small piece of the frame that had not been considered in the measurement done by Terry which caused an install glitch. Measure carefully all the way to the top of the bay even though the  slide goes in the bottom, anything in the way will hang it up.

Betty Brewer

Thanks Betty.

Betty Brewer said:
Measure carefully all the way to the top of the bay even though the slide goes in the bottom, anything in the way will hang it up.

I wouldn't have thought of that and could easily have had a HFWPOH moment.

Tom said:
BTW do you have plastic bins or metal? Mine are plastic and I was wondering if I needed to have them locate the lower supports over the metal braces for the bins rather than relying on the plastic bin to take the load.

Tom

I'm not sure what you are referring to. They didn't supply any bins, nor brackets for bins, so I can't respond.

Tom said:
Thanks Betty.

I wouldn't have thought of that and could easily have had a HFWPOH moment.

Tom

You also have to take the struts and any other appertanances into consideration. We ordered ours at the last Pomona FMCA rally and they were parked a couple of coaches away from us, so they just came over and measured it for me. Perfect.

BernieD said:
They didn't supply any bins, nor brackets for bins, so I can't respond.

Bernie,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was talking about the basement storage bins (or bays) that are an integral part of the coach. Some coaches have metal bins and some, like mine, have plastic bins supported on metal straps &/or metal L-section. Some folks (including suppliers and dealers) cringe when I suggest putting slide trays in my storage bins, suggesting I should only do it if they're metal bins.

Because of a concern I raised when I talked with the SS folks at QZ they told me that, if I would measure where the metal straps/supports are, they could weld their cross-members to coincide with these. That way, the entire slide tray sits directly over the bin supports and I can drill down into the latter for the securing bolts instead of drilling & bolting into the plastic bin.

TOM,

I currently have a slim slider and it works fine.  With mine they put a 4 inch high  side wall around the entire sliding platform so small items do not roll off the edges.  For example on one side I have poles that are used with the brushes used to wash the MH.  Also on the edge where you pull it out I keep some small items plus it make it easier to pull it out.  If you want a photo or two ask and I'll put them on this board.

JerryF

I was talking about the basement storage bins (or bays) that are an integral part of the coach. Some coaches have metal bins and some, like mine, have plastic bins supported on metal straps &/or metal L-section.

Tom

The floor in our "basement" is structural and I am not sure what it is made of. Our Damon had plastic bins for bays  in the basement but there was no open area in which to put a slider. The bins were only a couple of feet deep.  I'm still not clear on your arrangement.

Thanks Jerry. Good idea to have the side walls on the trays. Were they additional cost? I have a SlimSLider brochure in hand and it shows only a short (maybe 1.5"-2" high) wall.

BTW are your storage bays metal or plastic?

Bernie

Check out this diagram of the chassis on the Monaco Camelot. Look at the areas where the storage bays will eventually be and you see they're just metal frames. In the case of the Camelot, they merely slide plastic bins into these slots, fasten down and attach doors so the final product looks like this. They've changed the doors for 2006 from flip-up to side-swing and given the bay material a fancy name, but it's essentially the same construction.

My concern was allowing the SS to sit on unsupported areas of the plastic bins (the areas with nothing but fresh air in the first diagram). The weight concentrated in these areas woud cause the plastic to sag and I think this is why some dealers have said they wouldn't mount a slide tray in one of those bays. The SS folks appeared to understand this and told me they could change the position of their feet (or bottom rails) so they would sit on the peripheral metal structure &/or the intermediate cross-members (part way into the bays) in the diagram. (I was talking to a guy who said he does the welding).

Tom

I still can't envision the interior of the bays, but think I understand what you are getting at, you'll have to give me a tour at QZ. SS has their own welding equipment in house and each tray is custom built. Even better, they are familiar with and comfortable with your particular circumstance. Sounds like that should be your option.

Sure enough Bernie. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone has installed them in plastic bins/bays.

From what I recall, most (but not all) coaches have a similar construction to Monaco as far as bays are concerned. i.e. they're all basically a box made out of whatever material inserted/fastened into the frame that hangs beneath the chassis (the frame is really an integral part of the chassis).

I know that a number of coaches we've looked at from various manufacturers, including TS and Monaco, have metal bins (aka metal bay liners). I can't tell from this photo what it is on this TS. It appears to be carpet over something, but I can't tell if the something is sheet metal or plastic. On my Camelot it's definitely plastic - something I didn't give any thought to when we bought the coach.

Tom

I believe that the material under the carpeting in our bays is a wood composite sheet supported by the metal framing of the undercarriage. SS bolted the tray support mechanism to this material and it is holding up just fine.

Thanks Jerry. I suspected that might be the case on the Executive.

Thanks Bernie. That sounds quite strong and unlikely to warp.

Tom said:
Thanks Bernie. That sounds quite strong and unlikely to warp.

Tom

To check construction and fit & finish, I crawled into the bay and had the doors closed to make sure there were no light leaks. I felt very good and comfortable on the base material. No bouncing or movement.

Back
Top Bottom