Electric Bikes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Throttle-based bikes, the best electric bike in terms of comfort. For easy mounting and dismounting, the iZip Zuma would be ideal. If you're looking for compactness, the Brompton Electric Bike would be the best electric bike for you.

Wi1dBill said:
Built my own 2 person 4 wheel bike , add electric Green Hornet motor 36 Volt L/I battery.  Made from PVC pipe. Search on line for PVC Bikes or Americanspeedster.com and there is a gentleman in Florida that sells these or the plans and kits to build your own.

Weights about 150# with electric but wife and I can easily load it in the back of the truck.  There are some weak areas that I've had to re-engineer due to the hills and inclines in  NW Ohio..  It's a real head turner and we have a ball with it.  We've put a over a hundred and fifty miles on it this past summer just messing around.  If you decide to build one, let me know and I can direct you to youtube videos and give you pointers.

Can you post some pictures?  Sounds very neat.

Kjansen

On the PVC bike follow this link

http://americanspeedster.com/

I built the sidekick.  Couple of weak spots, needs better brakes if you plan on riding on hills. Also, I had to reinforce the drive sprocket on the pedal shaft and built a the better chain tension rod.

Added chrome fenders, lights, rear view mirrors, a rear basket and made a different sun shade.

Strongly suggest watching the youtube videos (29 in all) were the gentleman documents building a sidekick.  He shares a lot of tips and ideas that saved me a ton of time and I probably avoided many mistakes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooWAje7ayVE

We have a fifthwheel so, currently, I trying to design a carrier over the cab of the pickup so we can take it with us out west next winter.

Pricing, I have about $1,200.00 in the base unit.  Add an electric motor and it will cost another $1,000.00 

I have read with a certain amount of interest the different opinions on electric bikes and in some cases went off topic. The question was regarding electric bikes, not mopeds or adding an electric motor to an existing bike. The issue was about opinions about electric bikes because the originator was interested in the idea. Not one person asked of the originator was riding a bike now, or was this something they might want to try. No one asked if the idea might have had to do with saving the planet. No one asked where the originator usually camps, what kind of terrain. Do they camp at La Posa or Boyd's in Key West. What is it they want to accomplish on the bike? What kind of rig do they have? A class A with a tow car?  How would the bike be attached? A 5th wheel might require a special rack. Same as a class c without a tow car. Will weight be an issue? Would a folding bike work best? From my own personal experience, 20 mph of more than adequate for just getting out and about, heading to the rec hall, or just being a nosey parker at the RV park so they can start some gossip. I have seen it all.

Riding an electric bike is not the same as a moped or your GMC dually. Your butt hurts if you aren't used to riding, the right seat helps. Then your legs. There will be times when you don't want too look lazy and actually do some pedaling. Then there is the security of locking it up.

Of course these are all obvious things to consider. The bigger question is, what do you want it for? I use mine to go from the RV park to the store, small shopping. Get some fresh air. Then there is the tooling around the neighborhood. For those who take issue with speed and range, for one the speed is fine because you are not exerting any energy. The speed is a federal limitation. The range of based upon battery type, volts, amps and the motor. Trust me, 20 miles on a charge is more than enough for most people, butt hurting comment. There are two things to look for welded aluminum frame and lithium batteries. They run 15-20lbs lighter than an AGM/steel bike. It's a big deal, but they are a bit more expensive.

Some facts about e-bikes. I don't care what the ads say, when you read the fine print, almost all alleged American made and/or assembled bikes have Chinese electrical and mechanical components. Not to worry. The Chinese know what they are doing. I read here about Pedego. Sure, they make the frames here, but like Currie, everything else is foreign sourced. The question is this, do you equate value to the amount of money you spend on something? A friend of mine just spent $3000 on an electric bike because she thought it was ALL American. My bike cost 1/4 that and has the exact same mechanicals and electrical. So its important to think about what you are wanting to do. Do you want to risk $3000 only to find out it's not for you? A $700 e-bike is alot easier to sell on Craigslist that one you spent $3k for.

No doubt that some of you will see me riding around here at Quartzsite this winter. Maybe it will cool off by then.

Till then, happy RV'ing

Hi qazbikes,

First welcome to the forum. You hit on a lot of good points. When people first post a topic here, it is my observation that topics can and often do, drift off topic. There were some ideas proposed that might have helped the original poster with his question. The problem often is, there has to be someone who is knowledgeable or expert on the subject so the topic is properly addressed. Also the original poster only posted once then disappeared rather than give us more ideas on what he might be after or if he even bought a bike.

I purchased an EG La Mans electric bike. My seat is very comfortable and I have been able to ride it without much problem. My legs do get tired after putting some miles on it. I like the fact that I am getting exercise while riding as I do as much peddling as I can. Then if I get tired it will get me home without having to peddle. Only exception to this my battery went dead about a mile from home so had to peddle the rest of the way but hey that's good for me.

I won't address the topic of saving the planet as that will get political. I wish that bikes were made in America as I don't want to support the country that is doing most of our manufacturing (also political and best not to address).

Security is of concern to me. I have a bit over a thousand invested in my bike. I am looking into ways of making sure it is not stolen. Parking it inside the motorhome when away on side trips might be one way. My wife and I are thinking of getting a second but would need to know she will ride it enough to warrant the purchase of the second bike. Other wise we could just share the one. I'd probably do the bigger distance if we needed to make a grocery run or something of that nature as I have more strength and have spent a lot of time on regular bikes in the past. Speed is just fine for me at 20 mph. I don't want to write any checks that my body can't cash and any faster I might not recover from. Helmet is always a necessity.

I hope that we can run into each other at quartzite in the RV Forum Community where members park. I'd like to see your ideas on riding, security, safety and other topics in regards to electric bikes. Also looking for a good rearview mirror as I don't like to turn in order to look to see if I have traffic headed my way. It sounds like you may be the person who knows more than most of us and we can use that kind of help. I will have to see if my old bike rack is solid enough for my electric bike. It is about 24 years old, made in America and solid. Can handle two bikes, so one electric bike should be fine. One problem is protecting the electronics from damage when driving the RV in wet weather. I also am going to have to figure out how to clean, lubricate the bike. Best Regards to you!

I do own an electric bicycle. Actually I own a simple 7 speed Schwinn bicycle and I installed the front wheel electric kit conversion. I love it! I can switch out the kit with another bike, so I liked that option of having bike and kit separate.

The difference between mopeds and an electric bike, is the bike has pedals and falls under bicycle laws, as I understand it. Mopeds don't have pedals or they are just for show... and they come under different rules. Electric bikes are nearly silent, a huge plus. Never seen a campground that banned bicycles.

I bought the front wheel conversion kit with a 20 mile battery. I pedal all I can but if the head winds are strong or the hill is tiresome, then I push that switch. The doggy rides in a basket up front and we carry a bunch of crap with us at times. I raced up and down the beach on a windy day and folks couldn't tell I had an electric bike, so it was pretty funny, they thought I was so fast going upwind.

I love zipping around the campground and parks. When kids are around on their bikes, I just hit that button and fly past them just for fun and giggles.

The NICEST thing about an electric bicycle is you will get MORE exercise. I know that sounds funny, but it gave me the encouragement to go out and have fun, knowing that if I became tired or the head winds too strong, I could still get home again. So I am out and about on my bike a lot MORE since I got the electric kit.

The dog and I love it. Though the first time I used the electric kit with the dog in his front basket, his ears shot up and he turned to stare at me with that "What the heck?" look. Now he is used to the fun.

Front wheel conversion kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7IA5JG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00K7IA5JG&linkCode=as2&tag=motorhomeandrvstore-20&linkId=YZGLL52AMUTTRTHS

Attachments

• hilltopper electric bike kit.jpg
    hilltopper electric bike kit.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 22
  • doggy in bicycle basket.JPG
    doggy in bicycle basket.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 27
The OP asked for pros and cons, so I'll add my two cents which may be unpopular....
As an avid bicyclist, IMHO motors belong on scooters and mopeds. E- bikes are incredibly heavy and inefficient. From my observation, not a lot of pedaling goes on with these bikes. My recommendation is get the small CC moped for that kind of ride, and pedal a bicycle.
There... I said it. Fire extinguisher at the ready.... :)

Hi BinaryBob,

Nope, no flaming here. I appreciate what you are saying and can relate. I chose the Ebike because it is helping me to recondition myself into riding again. I use to do about a 100 miles a day on my regular bike. Since I am always working, it's hard to get out and find the time to ride. With the Ebike I have been able to ride into work on clear days so I don't get wet (mainly the bike itself). If your lazy then you are right, might as well get a moped.

I have been able to gradually work my way up to higher miles on the EBike and I do get a work out as I do peddle as much as I can. I will use it for hills, to get me to a safer spot with on coming traffic and to get me home if I get wore out. I didn't know if I would be able to get a work out with these but I have been able to. If I am in a hurry and needing to go somewhere fast then I can use the drive to take me so I can get there faster.

It is my hope to get enough build up in the legs again to switch over to my other bike which is non-electric. Also need to shed some pounds. I suspect that you could run circles around me Bob at this time. Maybe I can get back to where I was at in the past or at least part of the way. I do like the electric bike though and I have used it a fair amount after purchase.

P.S.

More power to you Miss Mermaid and your little dog too!  ;D

Al, that sounds like a fantastic plan.
My previous post noted the apparent lack of "bicycling" with e-bikes.
OTOH you are using it both for utility and as a conditioning tool which frankly I had not thought of. When you switch to a regular bike it will seem like a feather and you'll be flying!
I don't ride circles around anybody. I'm like the energizer bunny- slow but can ride all day.
In 2005 I rode across the US from San Diego CA to Jacksonville beach FL in 6 weeks with full camping gear.
No support wagon. I sure couldn't do that today. Time marches on.

Hi BinaryBob,

In my early years, I had planned to ride out to Oregon to visit my sister, about 2,100 miles. I had laid out places to stay and items to take. I was going to travel pretty light and buy things along the way. I was going to do about 100 miles a day so would have taken about 21 days or a bit more. Sure I would have stopped and taken a day or two off and if it was stormy then would have taken time off the trail. Hopefully not too far away from a town that had a hotel. Plenty of dog spray so I didn't become a tasty meal along the way.

Figured I would have worried my kind Mom to death so decided not to do it. She had me ride to my aunt's house 50 miles away to make a dry run test. When I got there I stayed for a couple of hours then headed back. Aunt tried to talk me into staying the night but wanted the 100 miles in that day. Got home and rode another 20 miles before kicking off for the day. Boy wish I could do half that now!

The EBike has been helping me and makes me want to get the light weight bike out. I'll have to do some work like tires and adjustments.

California to Florida and that was only 9 years back!! Six weeks wasn't bad. How many miles per day?? Sounds like about 50 per day or so. I bet it was an exciting trip.

It was the trip of a lifetime!
My son and I did this trip. Not sure of the average miles. Some days we did 100+ and some days we stayed a bit.
Actually the biggest challenge was those DARN southerners.  LOL They are the friendliest people on the face of the planet. We'd try to kick off early and get some miles in but they like to talk all day. They'd ask what we're doing, and after getting over the initial - You're CRAZY! we had the most interesting conversations about everything.
The only help we had, was a stretch from Sanderson TX to Langtry. While sitting in a breakfast diner, a county judge overheard us and insisted he cart us and our gear across this 60 miles of desert. It was 108 degrees and climbing. He said we would "most certainly die" if we attempted to ride this as there is absolutely nothing along 90 all the way to Del Rio and there was no way we could carry enough water.
We dodged a lot of bullets thanks to the locals....

oops forgot picture of bike for sale

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 25
BinaryBob said:
The OP asked for pros and cons, so I'll add my two cents which may be unpopular....
As an avid bicyclist, IMHO motors belong on scooters and mopeds. E- bikes are incredibly heavy and inefficient. From my observation, not a lot of pedaling goes on with these bikes. My recommendation is get the small CC moped for that kind of ride, and pedal a bicycle.
There... I said it. Fire extinguisher at the ready.... :)

I have an electric bicycle and yes it's a tad heavier, but YES, I pedal a lot! I just push my electric button when I need help going uphill or upwind or trying to get through traffic as fast as possible. For me it means I get out and about on my bicycle a lot more. I am not a racer, I am not in good shape, but by golly, I am getting a lot more exercise with my Electric bicycle because I am happy to pedal, knowing I can ave electric assist if I am tired, if the hill is rough or if the head winds kick in.

I don't tow a car, I don't have money to have a noisy scooter too. I either drive the RV or ride the bicycle, my two choices. Now that I have the electric kit (see my earlier post for links and info) I am THRILLED.

If you are super athletic, then of course you can pick apart an electric bicycle, but for those of us struggling, it's a fabulous invention that has enhanced my life.  ;D

GerardF said:
Hello fellow RVers,
Does anyone own an electric bike?  I'm thinking of purchasing one and was wondering about the pros and cons.  Also which brands you might suggest.  I was introduced to this brand called "Pedego" and they seem to make pretty good quality e-bikes.  I'm not very knowledgeable about these e-bikes but I have seen tons are articles about them lately which on peak my interest.  Any assistance, direction, and general info would be great!

Thanks,
Gerry
Hey Gerry, I think that the main reasons why to buy an E-bike are: that it is less hard on knees and joints than riding a traditional bicycle, you wont get hot riding up hills, wont struggle riding in the wind :)
Hope you find my opinion useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom