Vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Olcoon

Now that I'm about the width of a frog's hair from retiring, and me & the Mrs. have bought our first RV, a 5r, I've kind of been wondering.  While working I got X amount of time off every year for vacation, to get away from work.  Now that I won't be working anymore, when I go on vacation, will I have to go back to work?

Inquiring minds just gotta ask!

You'll find people who workcamp, people who volunteer, people who pick up some kind of job to supplement retirement income. You'll also find people who think "work" is a 4-letter-word and avoid it like the plague. You'll figure out what works (oop, sorry) for you as you go along.

Enjoiy your retirement
Wendy

My wife and I both found that we enjoyed taking a vacation from retirement by, uh, making gainful use of our skills from time to time  [I won't use the 4 letter word!].  We did it by workamping, by volunteering as an officer of a local organization, and occasionally by engaging in for-profit crafts.  It was fun (cause we didn't HAVE to do it) and often a rewarding experience (though not so much financially).  Fortunately we eventually outgrew the need.  ;D

Took a while to get weaned off the rat race huh. ;D I hope to be fully retired in less than 4 years and spend more time traveling. If I do exchange services for pesos (won't use the four letter word) it will be doing something I will have fun at, the money will maintain the fuel and rum funds.

We have been volunteering as campground hosts for a couple of years.  Hosting allows us to see different parts of the country, in a bit more detail than vacationing.  We meet a lot of great people, and have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.  We try to stay booked about six months ahead and follow the good weather around the country. 

We tend to enjoy RVing in state, county, and NTL parks.  These places don't pay the host, but we get a free camp site with hook-ups.  Because of our preference for the more natural parks, it seems that the majority of our locations end up being for tent camping. 

After 32 years working for a phone company I retired and got a part time job working for an RV dealership doing orientation and pre delivery inspections. It was not only fairly lucrative but also very beneficial when I had repairs to do on our motor home. This would have been my 13th year but sales were way down and I only got 3 weeks of work. So I "retired" again and really enjoyed the summer.

This summer we will be working at Yellowstone National Park. The dealership couldn't guarantee me any work and we decided we just couldn't pass up this opportunity. Looking forward to working a little and taking lots of photographs. :)

Since retiring 5 years ago, I seem to be working harder now than ever, only pay I get now is JWD from my wife.

Sometimes I think I need to go back to work and use that as a vacation.

About the retirement check, I like to say that the old Grumman Aircraft Company ( now Vought Aircraft) pays me to stay away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom