Roof repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobandpamlemay

Hello All: I have a problem and need advice. Several weeks ago I pulled into a "pull through" site in South Texas in a rain storm and didn't notice the low hanging tree branch over head. When I pulled out in the morning I put a crease in the roof of the 5er and ripped up about 3 feet of rubber roof. I've had the rubber patched temporarily amd have talked to someone about cutting out the damaged spot and replacing the damaged metal prtion and putting new rubber on top.

Has anyone experienced this type of problems or am I really the dumbest person I know. If you have.....what did you do???

Bob

Don't beat yourself up too bad, Bob. You aren't the first - or the last - to tear a rubber roof. Or even a fiberglass one, for that matter.

Depending on the damage, it may be possible to glue the old rubber back down and seal the edges of the tear with Eternabond tape or similar rubber roof patch tape. Eternabond is essentially a permanent fix - it is that durable. I covered a gaping hole in a metal roof on one of my storage buildings with it (a falling tree limb plunged through it!) and it has been in place for 7 years now.

If that doesn't suit, the damaged section can be cut out and anew one pieced in, again sealing the seams with either Eternabond or a self-leveling EPDM roof caulk.

Gary: Thanks for the reply. My concern is replacement of the "metal" portion of the roof where it rounds at the edge. The guy I talked to said he'd cut out the damaged metal and replace with new and then the rubber. I forgot to ask him how the new would be anchored to the old roof under the rubber. I assume thin metal screwed to the old but I don't know. I'm trying to get an education before I commit to having it fixed.
As for beating myself up....I did lots already and the DW adds to it from time to time.

Bob

i have no personal experience yet but i bought a roll of eternabond tape to be ready for roof leaks on my moho. i got mine from an rv store. :)
check this website:
www.eternabond.com/?Click=2034&gclid=CK7q3bWJo6ACFR0pawod5l5T5g

Back
Top Bottom