Lancaster, CA Musical Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Today I drove (twice :D ) the strangest piece of highway that I can remember. The city of Lancaster built a piece of highway that plays the "William Tell Overture". If you are in the Lancaster area, drive west on Avenue G between Avenue 30W and Avenue 40W toward the Fox Airport. Stay in the left lane and drive at 55mph with your windows up and you will hear the William Tell Overture. By the way, it sounds better at 55 than 60 :D :D

Bernie, You've been in California too long. You do this drive with your windows UP?

Wendy

Wendy said:
Bernie, You've been in California too long. You do this drive with your windows UP?

Yep, those are the instructions. I guess it helps develop the sound inside the car. Won't be in CA much longer, we leave for Laughlin/Bullhead City tomorrow morning.

Bernie,
Should have said something earlier, We are home in Palmdale. Could have had a mini rally or at least a cup of coffee. We finally are going to get to leave next week and go to Yuma.

Bernie:
Do you drink or smoke pot? 
If you drive the other direction what is on the flip side?
Does anyone else in the car notice this?

jerryarlyne said:
Bernie,
Should have said something earlier, We are home in Palmdale. Could have had a mini rally or at least a cup of coffee. We finally are going to get to leave next week and go to Yuma.

Jerry

Sorry, I wasn't thinking and should have tried contacting you. We did drive into Palmdale a few days ago.

geodrake said:
Bernie:

George

Never tried pot and hadn't had a drink since the nite before ;) . There is nothing on the flip side, west bound side, innermost lane only. The musical road was purposely built by Lancaster, is marked by a sign at the beginning of the stretch and the tune is easily heard and recognized by anyone in the car. ;D ;D

Heard of a musical road in OK. 65 MPH westbound rewarded you with Garth Brooks Greatest Hits.
  Eastbound you sobered up, your wife returned, dog came back to life...

Guess we'll have to try it out next time we're out that way. Website says it was originally someplace else, built by Honda for a commercial, but the neighbors complained so it was smoothed over then rebuilt where there were no neighbors to complain. Fun to read about at Roadside America.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Guess we'll have to try it out next time we're out that way. Website says it was originally someplace else, built by Honda for a commercial, but the neighbors complained so it was smoothed over then rebuilt where there were no neighbors to complain. Fun to read about at Roadside America.

Wendy

That's where Marlene found the recommendation. Since we were staying at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds Campground, about a mile away, it was convenient. Wish we would have discovered it sooner, I'd have probably driven it every day. Didn't try it with the coach when we left this morning.

By the way, the AV CG is a real buy, extra large spaces with full hookups; 30 amp backins for $20 and $25 for 50 amp pull thrus. You do have to be careful with the power since we exceeded 131 volts intermittently every nite.

Bernie,

When you first mentioned Ave 30, I was going to ask if you were at the AVFG.

It's become a regular stop for us, and I've posted about it numerous times. Great place to stay, easy access and, since we normally grab one of the pull-throughs, we don't even unhook the toad. That puts the coach a little far forward in the pull-through, but I normally only plug in electric when we're there anyway.

Hadn't heard/of the musical road, but I'll check it out next time we're there.

Tom

We've been staying at the AVFG since it first opened. We had attended a rally the last year at the old Fairgrounds and then the next year at the new one. We have done a number of rallies at Lancaster and always enjoy staying at the AVFG.

Aye Bernie, a Monaco rally was our first experience at AVFG.

geodrake said:
Bernie:

I bet if you drove it in reverse it would sound like a message from the devil. :eek:

RV said:
I bet if you drove it in reverse it would sound like a message from the devil. :eek:

More like a funeral dirge, since you need to drive over 50mph to get it to sound right. Maybe the devil likes driving that fast in reverse, not me ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom