BrakeSafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncluley

Need brake system for my toad.  Really like idea of having toad's brakes operated by diesel pusher's air brake system.  I cannot find any local dealer who sells and/or installs the M&G Cylinders.  However, I did find that Blue Ox has a air cylinder system -- BrakeSafe.  Does anyone have any experience with BrakeSafe.  I'm thinking of having it installed in a 2006 Honda CRV.

All input will be greatly appreacited.

I haven't used the BrakeSafe system or read reports about it, but Blue Ox has a good reputation for their other products. The installation instructions on their web site don't show anything more complex or difficult than installing one of M&G's systems. In the case of coaches with air brakes, both systems taps into the coach's air system. The "advantage" of M&G is that you don't have anything permanently attached to the brake pedal.

If you can undo and fasten a couple of nuts and bolts that hold the boost to the master cylinder on your car, you can install the M&G system as easily and quickly as you could install the BrakeSafe system.

Have you called or emailed M&G to ask for name of your nearest dealer or if they'll ship you a unit?

I would strongly recommend that if you are going the air actuated route the M&G is the very best way to go.  Although I have never seen the Blueox system in operation IMHO it looks kinda like a Kludged together thing.    We use the Brake Buddy and have for over 100K miles with excellent results.  However, if I were to install a air operated system it would be the M&G.  Many satisfied M&G brake systems in service right here in the framily.

I have e-mailed M&G -- twice -- over a week's span -- no response about local dealers/installers AND, unfortunately, I am not physically capable of installing it myself.  I'd telephone M&G but we decided to give up our phone a few months ago -- we hardly ever used it except to answer calls from pols and charities.

What part of the country are you in? One of M&G users may know someone in your area who would install it.

Norman,

We own several Blue Ox products and have found that they not only offer excellent products, but comparable service after the sale.  I wouldn't be concerned about recommending any of their products.  They have a large selection so you can choose the best product for your needs.

ncluley said:
I cannot find any local dealer who sells and/or installs the M&G Cylinders.  However,

I am not 100% sure but

1: I know when I E-mailed M&G they responded... Not exactly promptly but they did respond
(Took about a week if memory serves)

2: Their web site had a "Dealer locator" button where you put in your zip code and away we go

John

M&G's web site does indeed list dealers (no need to enter a zip code). There's also a phone number on their web site: 1-800-817-7698, but ncluley says s/he doesn't have a phone. I wonder if you can make an 800 call from a call box  ???

If you have a coach still on warranty, check your instructions. Freightliner states if you tap into the air system for the coach's brakes, it will void your warranty.
I recently purchased system from SMI. It is their radio controlled sytem.

smies said:
If you have a coach still on warranty, check your instructions. Freightliner states if you tap into the air system for the coach's brakes, it will void your warranty.

I think Freightliner would have a hard time voiding a warranty unless they can prove that tapping the air line caused a warranty item to fail.

smies said:

I drove a Freightliner chassis for 4 years/66,000 miles with the M&G and no hassles from Freightliner on any warranty problems. No problems with the chassis air system either.

Thanks!  I checked the dealer listing on M&G's web site -- none in NJ, CT, or DE and none within 500 miles of me.  And, they finally responded and confirmed that they do not have a dealer near me.

I guess I will either have to go without brakes for a year or two until I get to start major travelling (just kidding) or settle for BrakeSafe or BrakeBuddy.

Anyway, Thanks for the input.

Have you asked your nearest RV dealer or repair shop if they can do it?

It seems that in this area of the country (NJ) RV dealers will only install items that they sell.  And, I am apprehensive about having someone install a safety unit if that person has no prior experience doing so or has not been trained to do so.

Thanks for the input -- I am going to check out BrakeSafe at a dealer in PA.

ncluley said:
It seems that in this area of the country (NJ) RV dealers will only install items that they sell.  And, I am apprehensive about having someone install a safety unit if that person has no prior experience doing so or has not been trained to do so.

Thanks for the input -- I am going to check out BrakeSafe at a dealer in PA.

Norman

If you will be attending a major FMCA rally in the near future, M&G usually exhibits and installs at the rally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom