EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: satellite dome or dish antenna  (Read 14906 times)

JerArdra

• ---
Re: satellite dome or dish antenna
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
At Newport Beach California (when we had a dome) the morning dew blocked the TV reception for 3 mornings in a row so I had to climb up and dry it off.  It seems to me that dew blocks the  signal quicker and possibly more completely than rain because dew is a much finer, as in small, droplet so it clings more as opposed to larger droplets that may roll off sooner.

Re Canada, with our MotoSat Dish we received good TV signals in the maritime Provinces but after crossing to Newfoundland we only received TV the first night about 90 miles north into  Newfoundland. 

For those going to Alaska on the AlCan Highway you can get TV in the Campground at "Solders Summit" because it's at 4,000 feet altitude.

JerryF
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:00:20 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:07 PM »

At Newport Beach California (when we had a dome) the morning dew blocked the TV reception for 3 mornings in a row so I had to climb up and dry it off.  It seems to me that dew blocks the  signal quicker and possibly more completely than rain because dew is a much finer, as in small, droplet so it clings more as opposed to larger droplets that may roll off sooner.

Guess you had not tried Dome Magic, Jerry. My understanding of how it works is that it causes the droplets to become rounded on the bottom, so they just roll off vs. remaining flat and able to cling to the surface.

Anyway, it works for me - and with my new bionic hips, climbing the roof just to watch TV is not a good idea anymore (unless it's to watch Kentucky Basketball). From what I am reading here, I may be in trouble when I convert to HD. But that's a ways off for now.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
Bob,

I'm sure Dome Magic helps with dew droplets but dew seems not to affect dishes.  It's not fun to climb up on a wet, icy, or snow covered roof.  Also, it's not a very smart thing to do even with "original issue" hips!

Another gripe I had with the dome, in 2003, was that sometimes when you switched to another channel, and I do this often, the dish may have to re-align itself to another satellite.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »
Quote from: JerArdra
... sometimes when you switched to another channel, and I do this often, the dish may have to re-align itself to another satellite.

Interesting Jerry. In 6 years, our dome has not had to re-align itself when we switch channels. In fact, I always turn the controller off after getting situated in a campground, per the King Dome instructions printed on the switch. The switch is not turned on again until we get settled in another location/campground.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
Bob,

I'm sure Dome Magic helps with dew droplets but dew seems not to affect dishes.  It's not fun to climb up on a wet, icy, or snow covered roof.  Also, it's not a very smart thing to do even with "original issue" hips!

Another gripe I had with the dome, in 2003, was that sometimes when you switched to another channel, and I do this often, the dish may have to re-align itself to another satellite.

JerryF

I would agree, Jerry, and I have "never" done my roof when it was wet - for any reason or status of my hips.  My point was that Dome Magic is applied once a year -- and that one time is on a bright sun shiny and warm day when the roof and dome are dry. I clean the dome with simple rubbing alcohol before applying several coats of DM.

I probably out click most unless recording on both LNB's - and have never had a realignment problem. My dome is not fully automatic, so if realignment were necessary, I would have to do the remote and such. That "would" be a bummer, but has never happened. OTOH, the wind would often blow my crank up off alignment . . .

After that "super blow" in QZ last month, I came home after Lorna's solo for the week attendees dinner, turned on the TV, and watched the late news. No raising the dish or alignment necessary . . .
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
A nice cold dish and a nice dry snow and it doesn't cling at all unless the angle is shallow.  If you are in Maine and use Dish Network, nothing clings to an open face dish - it is almost 90 degrees to the ground!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 08:08:04 PM »
That's it, I'm canceling DTV, signing up for Dish Network, buying a vertical dish, and we're going to winter in Maine.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
That's it, I'm canceling DTV, signing up for Dish Network, buying a vertical dish, and we're going to winter in Maine.

Did you get a recommendation from Fred as to which part of Maine would be best????
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
I'm sure I'll get plenty of suggestions  ;D

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:01 PM »
And as you know the gain of a dish is proportional to the size so the smaller dish in the dome will always suffer from rain fade and the like more than a larger dish.
Absolutely, and that's part of the point. You start out with a marginal gain reflector, than add further attenuation in the form of a dome. THEN it rains.....

123rickw

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
Thank you all for your input in helping me make one of the many decisions in my purchase.

Hosted by Over The Network