E-mail server with Verizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

I recently started a Verizon wireless broadband account. Everything is working great. Using it at home and on the road.

I have been using Windstream dial-up as that was the only thing available at my home location. My e-mail server is @windstream.net and I'm using Outlook Express. I also have a Google e-mail account but don't really like their screen setup, kind of confusing.

I'm about to drop my Windstream account. My question is for people using Verizon wireless, what do you use for e-mail server and what program do you use.

I would suggest you stay with Gmail as you already have an account there.  If you don't like the web access to Gmail, you can use any good email program, like Thunderbird, to access your email via POP3 or IMAP.  See the Help in Gmail for the details.  It will tell you exactly how to set up your email program.  I would recommend POP3 as you then have your email stored on your computer and not somewhere in the cloud.  You can keep using Outlook Express if you prefer, but there are better email programs available.

I use the gmail server and I also have a cheap account at fastmail.com (one time fee of $16.95 when I got it) that lets me use their smtp server and a mailbox.

Gmail is a very reliable server.

Gmail also has a SMTP server for sending mail.  And it doesn't use port 25 that is often blocked by ISPs so you can send email regardless of how you're connecting to the internet.  It's also encrypted so your email doesn't go out as clear text, another security benefit.

I checked more thoroughly on Google and Outlook and found that I could have Outlook check more than one address when opening. Google helped me set it up so that Outlook opens and checks my Windstream account then checks the gmail account.

Works great, thanks guys for the responses. My and computers mix like fire and water.

Just a note that the newer email clients (i.e. outlook 2007 and thunderbird 3) have started to make it even easier to set up your email - in the wizard just put in an account name, email address and the password and it will automatically set up the imap/pop inbound and smtp outbound for you.
        Ralph

I currently have multiple accounts and use Windows Mail to access all accounts. It is simple and I do not have to login everywhere to get all my emails. I do not think it is compatible with Hotmail or Yahoo though.

I use my Verizon tethered phone for internet if I don't have good local WIFI ...meaning I use Verizon about 80% of the year in our travels.  I have several email accounts, but forward ALL of them through gmail because of the very good gmail spam filter. It rarely lets a spam message through. Then I retrieve email from gmail via Outlook. I've used Outlook Express in the past and it would work very much the same way.

Back
Top Bottom