EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Living in a Van?  (Read 16905 times)

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

poncho62

• ---
    • Budget RVs
Re: Living in a Van?
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
You know what they say....."Build a man a fire and he will be warm for one night, Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"
Doesnt really apply here, but I thought it was funny
Hanover, Ontario, Canada

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
  • Life's a series of experiences, enjoy every one.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
I've seen converted 4WD vans to have a safe place to sleep deep in the boonies.  With my MH, going off road to camp is just not an option.  But with a 4WD van that has been converted to an RV, living in it would be tight, but you could go just about where ever you want.  I've gotten plenty of 4WD's stuck, but a 4WD van would be better than a MH for maneuverability in all types of conditions. 

They say people are living in vans because they can't afford any other place to live, and that's better than living on the streets.  But I'm thinking of it as an additional, more maneuverable option.  But I have way too much stuff to try to even full time in my 37.5' unit with a slide out, much less a van.  I've read the FT'ers group saying that have to sell the S&B along with the rest of their stuff to go FT.  It makes me shudder.  I have an unhealthy attachment to my stuff.  The FT group is a good group to read stories about those ridding themselves of their stuff.

I've not only read about the "100 things" movement, but talked to a family that has done it.  They say it took so much stress off when they finally got to the point to rid themselves of all their stuff.  In addition, they have more quality time with their kids.  They are not living in a van though, in a 400 sq ft house.  But with my current mindset I'm not sure if it would be workable for me to live in a van. I think one either really has to want to, or have no other option. 
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G , Ford V-10
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

Jere and Laur

• ---
  • live every day
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
During the winter season 1973-4 my friend,her dog and I stayed in Teton Village in a van/camper and skiied the entire winter. We had a 3way fridge, 2.5 cu ft, a 2 burner gas stove top and a catalytic heater, just one. This was in a different time as today there's no overnight parking at the village. You might get away with a 2-4 day stint but it's still a small place where everyone knows your face. And the camper thing would be a dead giveaway.  Back then there were motels at the base where we made friends and on a cold -40 deg night the night manager gave us a room, very thoughtful of him, but all our canned food froze as our body heat wasn't there to keep the place fron freezing.  5mi towards Jackson there is a CG where you can stay in winter, Fireside but in summer it's $100-125/nite but the Village has the 4Seasons at $400 and up. The van was a short 1965 Chevy cargo reg roof with just enough room for a 6ft bed with storage underneath.  I was 23 at the time and it was very doable.  There were three other vans that stayed the season with us, great time!
2010 Carri-lite 36XTRM5 pulled by a modified 2008 Chevy XCab 3500HD DRW Chesterfield,  NH w/2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
2009 1100RX Mountain Star TC pulling 2001 Ebbtide Campion 200

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
  • Life's a series of experiences, enjoy every one.
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
During the winter season 1973-4 my friend,her dog and I stayed in Teton Village in a van/camper and skiied the entire winter. We had a 3way fridge, 2.5 cu ft, a 2 burner gas stove top and a catalytic heater, just one. This was in a different time as today there's no overnight parking at the village. You might get away with a 2-4 day stint but it's still a small place where everyone knows your face. And the camper thing would be a dead giveaway.  Back then there were motels at the base where we made friends and on a cold -40 deg night the night manager gave us a room, very thoughtful of him, but all our canned food froze as our body heat wasn't there to keep the place fron freezing.  5mi towards Jackson there is a CG where you can stay in winter, Fireside but in summer it's $100-125/nite but the Village has the 4Seasons at $400 and up. The van was a short 1965 Chevy cargo reg roof with just enough room for a 6ft bed with storage underneath.  I was 23 at the time and it was very doable.  There were three other vans that stayed the season with us, great time!

What is it about experience that lowers our tolerance for inconvenience as the price of an adventure?  What a great story and experience you two enjoyed.  At 23 I would have been all over that, today, I'm more concerned about being able to stand up straight while I shower every night before bed.  That would be one very custom van.  ;)
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G , Ford V-10
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

Jere and Laur

• ---
  • live every day
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
And that's why we have a nice big 5er now, no more going out for a restroom, having to go to a store every 2-3 days for fresh food and a shower.  On the airport side of Jackson we joined a swimming pool, sauna and some great homemade bread for $8/month it was a pool club, Gass just jumped to a record  $.55 those were the days, now my shower has a seat.
2010 Carri-lite 36XTRM5 pulled by a modified 2008 Chevy XCab 3500HD DRW Chesterfield,  NH w/2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
2009 1100RX Mountain Star TC pulling 2001 Ebbtide Campion 200

Hosted by Over The Network