Stay away from Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmax1

Vacationing with his wife at an RV park in Mexico turned into a frightening ordeal for a Calgary man who was shot when two attackers tried to force their way into the couple?s motorhome.

Links to full story:

Vancouver Sun

Calgary Herald

Admin edit: Removed copyrighted material and posted links to original sources.

Ah yes, but in the U.S. Yves could have been armed and defended his "home". May not have been shot either.

In the US, chances are a lot better that the robbers would have been high on meth and more dangerous.

Baseball bat is legal.

vmax1,

Do you have a link to the source for that report? Looks like it might be from a Calgary press or news web site.

Be advised that copying & pasting content from other sources is not permitted here without the express permission of the author &/or copyright owner. Our forum rules explain how to quote such work.

Thanks.

Tom, there are 3 links to the story on Google Canada, here is one.

Ed

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Close+call+victim+Mexican+shooting/2650749/story.html

As for what would have happened if he had a gun, there likely would have been 4 dead instead of none.

Thanks Ed. One of the staff members also gave me a link to the Vancouver Sun, so I included both.

That is exactly why I refuse to leave the Good Ol USA, except for a yearly jaunt to our good neighbor to the North for a fishing expedition.  Yes it could happen here in the USA, or even in Canada, and it has happened.  But the law enforcement in the US and Canada aren?t corrupt like in Mexico and other similar countries.  We don?t have the drug lords running rampant like in Mexico and other similar countries.  On top of that our governments in the US and Canada are more stable, and very much less corrupt.  We are new to the Rving scene/culture, and we will not venture across the US border, with the exception of possibly a few jaunts into Canada.  I know others will disagree with, and argue our opinion/decision.  That is fine & one of the freedoms we enjoy in this country.  Personally I feel there is enough to see and do in this country to keep me occupied the rest of my life and beyond!  I?ve seen first hand how things are done in other countries in my travels courtesy of the US taxpayer while I was on my extended vacation in Uncle Sam?s Yacht Club (US Navy).  As far as I?m concerned I?ll never go back to most of those rat hole countries!  As far as the gun situtation is concerned I go back to a saying that supposedly came from the old west..."God created man, Col. Colt made them equal".  The Second Amendment isn't in the US Constituation to take up space and waste paper! JMHO

One of the worst things about being attacked in Mexico is how violent the drug cartel enforcers have become and their "kill'em all violence" can carry over to common criminals.  Sometimes just to get the person they want to get they go ahead and kill everyone who is in the general area.

To say it could happen "anywhere" in the US is just plain wrong.  It may happen in some places in the US but not anywhere.  To put forth the idea that we are just as bad as Mexico is NOT true because we are not just like Mexico and I might add neither is Canada just like Mexico! 

All I know is that the place I`m staying at Voyager RV park outside Tucson is super safe and secure, its warm enough, and the only thing I have to worry about is getting to much sun.

Thanks, Jerry. Appreciate your comments.  :D

I declined, until now, to comment on the "samenous" comparison as this is a family forum.  ???  ::)  The comparison is noxious, so I will hold my acid tongue, and just say thanks, again.  :)

Hfx_Cdn said:
As for what would have happened if he had a gun, there likely would have been 4 dead instead of none.

Strongly disagree with your premise. Fact is, these people are emboldened because they know that US and Canadian visitors are not allowed to bring weapons into Mexico. In most cases when citizens are armed, crime rates have drastically decreased. The key to success is to have a weapon, be trained and current in its use, and be willing to use it to defend yourself and your loved ones. 

Richard,

Thank you for again posting this web site.  Anyone who reads these stories will understand completely the personal risks they are taking if they venture into Mexico.

In most cases when citizens are armed, crime rates have drastically decreased.

Right!  And if you don't believe it, just ask the NRA.  More guns in the hands of citizens is what we DON'T need! 

rsalhus said:
Right!  And if you don't believe it, just ask the NRA.  More guns in the hands of citizens is what we DON'T need!

I guess I do not understand the anger in your statement.  My brother in law was a police officer for 30 years before he retired, and even he believes that well trained citizens that carry guns will deter crime.  I nor he can come up with one instance of all the citizens that have used a gun in self defence or to help out a person being brutally beaten or shot at that put anyone else at risk or harm.  The statistics are there from any state that has concealed carry, crime rates are down.  I personally do not own or carry a gun, but someday I might want to exercise my constitutional right to do so.  You might one day be the benefactor of someone carring a gun to protect you, so please think about it.

I guess I do not understand the anger in your statement.

I don't usually express my opinions on subjects like this, and this will likely be my last post on this thread, but it makes me sick to see all these laws being enacted allowing people to carry guns just about anywhere and everywhere they want to.  Arizona just passed a law allowing concealed weapons to be carried into bars.  And now there's a law in Arizona allowing concealed weapons in State Parks.  Would we be safer if everyone carried guns or if guns were only carried by officers of the law?  I believe less guns being carried is inherently safer.

My brother in law was a police officer for 30 years before he retired, and even he believes that well trained citizens that carry guns will deter crime.

By well trained citizens, are you referring to law officers?  If so, I certainly agree that lawmen carrying guns do help to deter crime.  But what about the untrained, unstable citizens that carry guns, do they deter crime or instigate it?  I think we all know the answer to that one too.

Other than the towns of Nuevo Laredo and Juarez , most of the danger in Mexico is in the states of Sinaloa and Michiocan .  Of course these bandidos can travel .  A few years back they lined up the people of a small village near Rosarito , BC and killed everyone including the children .  They have the advantage because they no one had any guns to defend themselves .

Kidnapping and torture of people including police officers is now quite common .

The only bit of good news is that although the drug traders are heavily armed , they are no match against the trained soldiers of the Mexican Army .  The last time I read about a confrontation , there were 12 dead mafiosos and 1 wounded soldier .

jasavak said:
Other than the towns of Nuevo Laredo and Juarez , most of the danger in Mexico is in the states of Sinaloa and Michiocan .  Of course these bandidos can travel .  A few years back they lined up the people of a small village near Rosarito , BC and killed everyone including the children .  They have the advantage because they no one had any guns to defend themselves .

And what makes you think that the outcome would have been any different if the villagers had guns?

Kidnapping and torture of people including police officers is now quite common .

And I assume that the police officers have guns.

The only bit of good news is that although the drug traders are heavily armed , they are no match against the trained soldiers of the Mexican Army .  The last time I read about a confrontation , there were 12 dead mafiosos and 1 wounded soldier .

So are you saying that well armed, well trained LEOs are the solution? Not common, untrained civilians?

And, in the US, you can get hurt too... see http://www.rvindustrynews.com/  Woman attacked by Golf Cart.

Back
Top Bottom