Stay away from Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we were in Mx last fall, the visitors from the US were outnumbered by Canadians about  3:1.  Some friends of ours just returned from 2 months in Mx traveling on a motorcycle and they said the same thing, it's Canadians 3 or 4:1.  Even with the Canadians, tourism is down, way down.  The 5 miles of beach in San Carlos near Guaymas was, for all practical purposes, vacant.  The resturants were empty.  So, in some ways, it is an ideal time to visit.

It's not like the US is isolated from this drug related violence: http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs6/6184/marijuan.htm
quote:

Marijuana Seized Along Interstate 40

In February 2003 Arkansas State Police officers seized 2,669 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated retail value of $3 million, from a recreational vehicle traveling east on I-40 near Clarksville during a routine traffic stop. The driver of the vehicle was stopped for a license plate violation and because the vehicle was impeding traffic by driving too slowly in the left lane. The responding officer became suspicious when the driver appeared nervous and because the vehicle was not registered in the driver's name. Prior to the search of the vehicle and the arrival of backup officers, the driver, a 31-year-old male, fled on foot. Seventeen boxes of marijuana were discovered stacked in the bedroom of the recreational vehicle. The marijuana was compressed into 464 bricks weighing 4 to 10 pounds each and wrapped in multiple layers of cellophane. Some of the boxes were marked with a reverse swastika symbol, the letter C, and a bull's-eye symbol. More than 15 pounds of coffee beans and ground coffee were strewn about the interior of the vehicle to mask the odor of the marijuana. The vehicle was en route from Yuma, Arizona, and allegedly was traveling to Hickory, North Carolina.

Source: Arkansas State Police.

Maybe it's the people who buy the drugs that are really responsible for the Mx violence?

FWIW... I consider Mexico a third world country after my experience some years ago in downtown Cabo. Never will go back again as an innocent tourist.

carson FL

"And what makes you think that the outcome would have been any different if the villagers had guns? "

Common sense .

Here in Texas armed criminals are shot by civilians in defense .  In Mexico armed criminals slaughter civilians .    You don't understand the difference ? 

" And I assume that the police officers have guns. "

The Chief of police of Aguas Calientes was ambushed .  He was tortured , murdered and his body was dumped two days later .  My friends couldn't attend the funeral because the criminals take photographs of attendees and threaten family members .

No , LEO is not a working solution in Mexico at the moment because of the corruption .  The Mexican Army seems to be the only thing that puts a dent on the cartels .
              Ironically , the reason for the escalating violence is because the cartel members are losing their drug trade and resort to kidnapping and violent robbery instead .

I am here to serve you , if you need any more details on Mexican law , economics or traditions .

I do apologize for making the comment that started this always HOT topic, but do commend everyone for their restraint in their comments.  However, watching this mornings news just reminded me why I hold MY views.  Somewhere in the states last night, a three year old picked up a pistol set down after her father was exploring what he thought was a prowler, and the end result is she shot herself and is now no longer with us. 
  I can't tell you the statistics on crime rates in Canada but my gut tells me they are lower than most areas of the USA, and we do not have any right to bear arms, so hand guns are rare.  I would far sooner put up with the occasional risk, as opposed to the tragic senseless loss of a 3 year old.  Having had some military training and having been part of a sharpshooting team, I know how to handle a weapon, but I really do not believe that if faced with decision of pulling the trigger, which mean shooting to kill, I do not believe I could do it.  And that's when it gets really dangerous.
    This is such a personal emotional issue, maybe we should just get on with RVing.

Ed

Guns or no guns, I thought RV folks would find this interesting.  I met a DEA agent, socially, and mentioned to him that I didn't think RV people fit their profile very well... older, gray hair, mostly conservative type folks, etc, etc.  He said RV people are now in the top 3 of their profile list for drug smugglers, especially if there is only one person aboard.  If there are two people, like a couple, visible then the profile drops a little bit but not much.  Sooooo, don't be surprised if you are searched thoroughly when you hit a check point... RVs are now a prime target.  Incidently, the current  numero uno is a new, expensive sedan with one driver dressed in very expensive clothing.  At least this is the info he shared with me.

Interesting comment from the DEA official.

Last time we drove north from Yuma, AZ we stopped at the border patrol checkpoint. My wife was driving, as she does 95% of the time. When she opened the window, one of the agents, who looked like he might have originally been from south of the border, said in a Spanish accent "Welcome to Mexico Senora, have a nice day". It took Chris a second or two to realize it was a tease, and she laughed. I could see the other agents turning away and cracking up.

I guess we didn't fit the profile that day  ;D

About 2 years ago my wife & mom took a Norwegian cruise, one of the ports was Topo la Bampo MX. They took an excursion, a bus trip to some beach and they had 4 armed guards with machine guns riding in a jeep to protect the people on the bus, CRAZY! I wouldn`t RV in Mexico even if it was all free.

I like good scotch and good scotch can be purchased in MX border towns at considerable savings.  Generally when we are close to a MX border town I will cross for that purpose alone, while DW waited in the US.  The last few times that I did so, I wasn't in MX for more than 15 - 20 minutes.  Today I'm not so sure that I would even do that.  Perhaps a small border town like Progresso TX/MX or Douglas, AZ/Auga Prieta, MX.

What a shame! 

We had a great time on a Copper Canyon RV Caravan a few years ago and had really planned on returning to Mexico on our own but the violence the past couple of years has dictated a wait a see attitude for us. We do travel to Algodones near Yuma each year and do not see any change in the atmosphere there.

Geodrake,

A current neighbor of mine was born and raised in Douglas, AZ.  Both he and his wife's parents still live there as well as several of their siblings.

With that said, he told me that no one in their combined family's any longer even walk into Aqua Prieta, Mexico.  They feel it is to dangerous and not worth the risk.  BTW, some years back they all went to Aqua Prieta a couple of times a week sometimes just to have dinner.

JerryF

Last year while volunteering at Patagonia Sonita Nature Conservancy, just north of Nogales, I met a Nogales, Az native and asked his advice on crossing.  He said that they used to go there to the dentist.  He also said that he has an office and employees in Nogales, MX, but they no longer cross. 

geodrake said:
I like good scotch and good scotch can be purchased in MX border towns at considerable savings.  Generally when we are close to a MX border town I will cross for that purpose alone, while DW waited in the US.  The last few times that I did so, I wasn't in MX for more than 15 - 20 minutes.  Today I'm not so sure that I would even do that.  Perhaps a small border town like Progresso TX/MX or Douglas, AZ/Auga Prieta, MX.

What a shame!

We were in Port Isabel, not too long ago, and did the hi priced booze trip at Progresso.  Since we were not from Texas, we could bring quite a bit of product back, once a day.  It was about 1/2 the price in the US even with the Tx Tax.  The store was actually located in Tx, the clerk would walk you to the turnstile, hand you the sack of booze, you walk across the street and back into the US.  It took about 20 seconds.  They also had jewelry, watches, wallets, perfumes, etc ... all at "free port" prices.  You need a passport to re-enter the US.  I'd go early in the AM B4 the drug cartel army wakes up.  LOL.

Jeff said:
We had a great time on a Copper Canyon RV Caravan a few years ago and had really planned on returning to Mexico on our own but the violence the past couple of years has dictated a wait a see attitude for us. We do travel to Algodones near Yuma each year and do not see any change in the atmosphere there.

The SKP Mexico Group went to Kino Bay in Feb and plans to go to the East Coast next year... It will be interesting to see if they cancel or not.  BTW, if you go through the Mariposa Crossing near Nogales, it's 4 lane divided toll road all the way to Mazatlan with no vehicle permit required as far as San Carlos/Guaymas.  Not much traffic these days.  There are 3:1 Canadians to Americans in the RV parks.  We are watching the news but based on a visit last Nov/Dec if you cross early in the AM and get 100 miles south of the border B4 noon, the state dept says "no worries".  I don't know... maybe it is getting worse, or spreading.  I guess Baja is going to die, economically, if this continues.

Mexico is what it is because of corruption which is inherent from the top on down,but I can't let the remark about the NRA and private gun ownership go unanswered.It is undeniable that  crime rates have fallen dramatically as gun rights have been returned in the U.S.Look at what has happened to crime rates in Australia and Canada as private gun ownership has been curbed or denied.(thank goodness the lawmakers in Canada are allowing long gun ownership again)It is history that the first thing those who would deny us our God given rights is to disarm the people so they are powerless to resist.I always hurt when I hear of a gun related accident that happens to innocents,but why don't we hear a similar outcry when autos or alcohol and drugs,etc cause deaths in our young?Why don't we ban these?Anywhere there is responsible citizen gun ownership,there is safety and freedom.Let me at least be as armed as the criminal who would harm my family or my neighbor(criminals don't obey gun laws)and our society will be safer for all of us.The statistics prove it.Larry

I agree 100% with you Larry.  Why is it that some people in the population are called "criminals"?  If I'm not mistaken it's because they DON'T obey the laws!  If all firearms were illegal who would have firearms?  England (along with numerous other countries) is a prime example, handguns, and some other firearms are illegal there and have been for several years.  But there are still crimes commited with firearms.  Wonder who is commiting those crimes...the honest, law abiding citizen?  Not hardly!  Goes back to the saying..."When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"

taoshum said:
Guns or no guns, I thought RV folks would find this interesting.  I met a DEA agent, socially, and mentioned to him that I didn't think RV people fit their profile very well... older, gray hair, mostly conservative type folks, etc, etc.  He said RV people are now in the top 3 of their profile list for drug smugglers, especially if there is only one person aboard.  If there are two people, like a couple, visible then the profile drops a little bit but not much.  Sooooo, don't be surprised if you are searched thoroughly when you hit a check point... RVs are now a prime target.  Incidently, the current  numero uno is a new, expensive sedan with one driver dressed in very expensive clothing.  At least this is the info he shared with me.

Sad to say that isn't a new thing.  I've been in Law Enforcement for 30+ years, and we were alerted to this as far back as the 70's or 80's!  However it may be in the increase these days.  Back then we were told that some of the people doing it were in the business to add to their retirement check.  With the economy the way it is now there may be a lot of people who wouldn't have thought of it before, doing it now!

Long guns have NEVER been illegal in Canada!!  All that is required is that you register ownership of all long guns.  What is occuring is that there is a Private Member's Bill that passed first reading before the House was Prorogued, who knows if it ever will pass as very few Private Member's Bills ever make it through to Royal Assent.  Plus where do you get your stats that crime is increasing in Canada????  Please share them, let us see where and how crime is increasing.  If we could keep the illegal gun trade from our Southern neighbour from crossing into Canada, we wouldn't have a gun problem.

England (along with numerous other countries) is a prime  example, handguns, and some other firearms are illegal there and have  been for several years.  But there are still crimes committed with  firearms.

Well, yes, sort of. I lived in the UK for 32 years, but don't claim to be an expert  ;) Private citizens there were not allowed to own guns per se, but air rifles and shotguns could be owned under a licensing system. Relocating to California 30 years ago was quite a culture shock, including a firearms shock. Look at someone the wrong way on a freeway, and they're just as likely to point a gun at you.

Hfx_Cdn said:
  If we could keep the illegal gun trade from our Southern neighbour from crossing into Canada, we wouldn't have a gun problem.

Well that's baloney; you'd just have the problem from somewhere else.  The solution is to eliminate the demand, not the supply.  Do you really believe that if illegal guns couldn't be had easily, they wouldn't be wanted, or obtained, at all?

Back
Top Bottom