Interactive Quiz. A little humor for those over 50!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelafar

I hope some people get a laugh out of this story being that I'm 23 years old.  :)

When I bought my RV I was driving home on the Mass Turnpike.  This was my first time driving an RV, a 23ft 1979 Shasta mini.  Before I started the 3 hour trip home, I of course adjusted the mirrors, and got familiar with the dashboard and such.  "Great!" I thought, "This should be easy; I've driven 20ft box trucks in Manhattan, what's 3 more feet and some open highway?"
    About an hour later into the trip I found myself flabbergasted and pulled off on the side of the highway.  For the life of me I could not find out how to dim my high beams!!  I had already snapped the cruise control lever off thinking that was it, and was frantically searching the dashboard and steering column for a switch, a lever, a button, anything!  With no luck of finding such a mechanism I decided I should 'get going' and just try to make my way home, feeling horrible for blinding anyone coming at me and horribly confused for not being able to figure out how to dim my lights!

The next day I was showing my neighbor my new buy (he's 60years old), and told him of my endeavor on the highway the night before.  He began to laugh when I told him that I didn't even think that it came with low beams and that I was 100% sure that I checked every switch/nob/and button on the whole front end!  (He even tried to bet me 50 bucks he could find it in 5 seconds!)

My quiz for You is, where did my dimmer switch end up being?
The first person to get it right gets a free night at Housatonic State Park in Sharon, CT paid by me.  We would have to arrange dates but I will hold true to my word. http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325220
This should be easy for anyone over 50!  ;)

You got it Seilerbird!  Next time your in northwest CT you got yourself a free night at Housatonic State Park, just drop me an email!

The Subject title "Interactive Quiz.  A little humor for those over 50! is mis-stated, I for one am only 42 years old and new the answer to that question as I have driven many a car with the old floor high beams before, in fact my wife who is only 38 years old new the answer to this question. I guess we'll just have to call you a green horn then.

Don't worry about it though, my kids are lost too when it comes to knowing anything about alot of things that my wife and I have experiences with as we were with things our parents had experienced. ;)

I wish they'd put the high-beam button back on the floor. Much easier than grabbing the column lever. And, yes, I'm over 50.

Wendy

Luvcampen said:
The Subject title "Interactive Quiz.  A little humor for those over 50! is mis-stated, I for one am only 42 years old and new the answer to that question as I have driven many a car with the old floor high beams before, in fact my wife who is only 38 years old new the answer to this question. I guess we'll just have to call you a green horn then.

Don't worry about it though, my kids are lost too when it comes to knowing anything about alot of things that my wife and I have experiences with as we were with things our parents had experienced. ;)

Maybe you and your wife should write a book so your kid can more easily gain your knowledge!  ;)

I would guess you never saw a starter just to the right of the gas pedal before either.

Schooner said:
I would guess you never saw a starter just to the right of the gas pedal before either.

Well, I've never seen that either. But I do remember the floor high-beam button as well as 25-cent a gallon gas. Oh yeah, I also remember 3 bedroom houses in southern California for less than $30,000. And NO, I am NOT old.

Wendy

Wendy said:
But I do remember the floor high-beam button as well as 25-cent a gallon gas. And NO, I am NOT old.

I worked at this gas station in a suburb of Kansas City several years before this picture was taken and can remember 15?/gal gasoline at the time. I don't feel old, but may be approaching that state.  :)

Attachments

• Sunrise Oil Co-2.jpg
    Sunrise Oil Co-2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 105
seilerbird said:
On the floor next to the brake pedal.

Haha, I learned the hard way too..  Was curious to what it did for the couple times I drove it, but I eventually/accidentally figured it out on the 2nd or 3rd trip.

The seller of my van pointed the switch out to me.  I managed to flash a few people accidentally because the brake pedal had a habit of staying depressed before I got all my lines fixed.

Let me take you back a few years.... 1939 Willys    1941 Dodge.... 1955 Dodge. I think they all had the dimmer switch on the far left side, left of the clutch pedal. 

Who cares... they worked.  ;D

Carson FL

Anybody remember turning the key then pushing the gas pedal to the floor to engage the starter? I discovered that by accident while playing in a mid fifties Buick. My dad had to keep backing off the gas in the Chev p/u going uphill so the vacuum wipers would work. ;D

Heck, I'm still driving a vehicle with the dimmer switch on the left side of the floor near the clutch petal.  It's a 1963 International Harvester Scout 80.

OK, how many learned to drive a Model A Ford??  Remember what the levers on the steering wheel column were for and explain the gas gauge on the dash!!

I first drove a Model A in 1943. I was 8 years old. Lived on a farm. I'm not too clear on the levers, but think I recall that they were gears. I remember a sight glass for gas, but not sure that was on the Ford. Mostly, I drove the horses and the mules, that being in SW Missouri. When I went to town to sell produce, I drove the horses, towing a wagon. Coming home, I sat on the back and watched the scenery. The horses knew the way, knew to stay on the right side of the road.  ;D

Ray D  ;D 

I too can remember the dimmer on the floor,and being a long tome Ford man (also left handed) I was very disappointed when they started putting in locking steering columns and took the the ignition switch off the lower left side of the dash.

I can beat all of you. I had a early 60s Nash Rambler with juke box drive (push button for those of you too young to know). In mine the seats reclined and I couldn't use it to go to drivein movies (Outside screens where you drove up, hooked up speakers and hopeflly......remembered to take the speapers off before you pulled out.

Back
Top Bottom