Interactive Quiz. A little humor for those over 50!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drive 2 trucks and a 72 Roadrunner .. pretty much all in the same week.    It is amazing how long it takes me to remember where all the different functions are located on a 1972 Plymouth, a 1993 Ranger and a 2008 Toyota Tundra LTD.  :-[

Bobandpamlemay said:
I can beat all of you. I had a early 60s Nash Rambler with juke box drive (push button for those of you too young to know). In mine the seats reclined and I couldn't use it to go to drivein movies (Outside screens where you drove up, hooked up speakers and hopeflly......remembered to take the speapers off before you pulled out.

My '61 Valiant had push buttons for shifting too.  Great way to go.

Jim Godward said:
My '61 Valiant had push buttons for shifting too.  Great way to go.

Yup .. me too ... Push Button Mopar tranny in a 56 Chrysler New Yorker with a 354 Hemi ... Sure wish I still had that car...

My cousin had a '73 (I think) Plymouth Valiant with a 3 on the tree shifter (and no power steering). The high beams and washer fluid switch were on the floor next to the clutch. God help you if you had to downshift going around a corner with the high beams on and a dirty windshield while a car was coming the other way  :eek:.

He also owned a 72 Chrysler Newport with factor 8-track player!

carson said:
Let me take you back a few years.... 1939 Willys    1941 Dodge.... 1955 Dodge. I think they all had the dimmer switch on the far left side, left of the clutch pedal. 

Who cares... they worked.  ;D

Carson FL

They may have worked in Florida and the sunny south. But after a few years in the north with the snow and slush and ice they rusted and became a pain. Needed a lot of WD-40 ... or did we even have WD-40 then???

How about a 1948 Hudson with a wet clutch that went to the floor when the pressure was taken from the gas pedal, and you could shift to the next gear. [Drive  Master]

The trick was to dimming the headlights while in the process of shifting gears.  Of course, "brights" weren't all that bright on an old 6 volt system with a generator that needed new brushes - oh yes, and a radio that sucked the electrons right off the bottom of the battery cells.  Remember the old radio vibrator - hummmmm...  Took 15 mintues to warm up the tubes and pick up Del Rio.

Thanks for that Model T link, Pierat.

Definitely should be on the curriculum for today's  Automotive 101 students in High School.  8)

Carson

My grandfather had a 1931 Ford model A pickup truck. The two levers just under the steering wheel on the Model A, one was the manual throttle and the other was the spark advance/retard. I do not remember which was which. If that is not correct it might have been on his Willeys Overland touring car. Don't have any idea what year it was. He peddled strawberries. He was known as "Strawberry Sam" and he was proud of it.

Many automatic transmission transit buses have two of those floor switches.  They activate the left and right turn signals as long as the driver's foot is pressing on them.  When he removes his foot the signal turns off.  This lets the driver keep both hands on the wheel while maneuvering through heavy traffic.

Lou Schneider said:
Many automatic transmission transit buses have two of those floor switches.  They activate the left and right turn signals as long as the driver's foot is pressing on them.  When he removes his foot the signal turns off.  This lets the driver keep both hands on the wheel while maneuvering through heavy traffic.

Now I do remember that ... I drove for our local municipal transit commission back around 1975 for a short while and they had the turn signals on the floor switches. As I recall I found that a little confusing until I got use to it.

I had a 65 Studebaker that had the high-beam switch on the floor, and a little rubber pedal that you squeezed with your foot that squirted the windshield wiper fluid on the windshield (you had to pump it).  Another strange feature was a switch on the dash that allowed you to completely turn off the dash lights, while the headlights remained on.  I could never figure out why you'd want to do that.

I have seen the floor button (HIGH/LOW switch) and pedal pumped windshild washers and even accelerator operated starter switches.

I actually like the floor switch better for High/Low beam.

Plus.. there are a few cars out there with one more pedal... just to the left of the brake pedal... I even know what it's for :)

I'm not that old, but I've had several vehicles, cars and trucks, that had the dimmer on the floor by the clutch pedal. I still prefer them there, and they lasted longer than the car did, too.
For levers, my all time favorite was a Willys Jeep, it had a forest of levers on the floor, one was for transmission gears, one was for in or out of 4-wheel drive, one was for 4-high or 4-low range, and one for in or out of overdrive. It had manual windshield wipers, too, just little levers over the windshield you had to turn by hand to wipe the rain from the windshield. What a hoot to drive in the snow.

Our 1953 MG has the switch almost on the floor.

The old Fords had a lever for the Throttle and a lever for the Spark Timing on the steering column.

Attachments

• 1953 MG TD Berry La Verne CA.JPG
    1953 MG TD Berry La Verne CA.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 23
  • MG Dimmer Switch.jpg
    MG Dimmer Switch.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom