Thinking of changing out Captains chairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out seats made by Bostrom. They make seats for the heavy duty truck market and have some of the most comfortable seats that my overgrown behind has ever been.

George

cvrvr said:
Check out seats made by Bostrom. They make seats for the heavy duty truck market and have some of the most comfortable seats that my overgrown behind has ever been.

George

George question abou the Bostrom seats - how would you compare them to the Flexsteel? Is there anywhere to see/feel (sit in) before just purchasing?

What vechicle did you have with the Bostrom seats?

Fred

Wendy,

In October we will probably be in southern AZ and on our way back to the lot in TX.  Come to TX this winter I will help you.  We have this full hookup site with laundry right next to the site.

Fred,
For Bostrom seats check out the parts departments of heavy duty (semi) truck dealers, or heavy duty parts houses.  There is one near me that has a seat set up in the sales counter area.  Most of these seat are air ride, in that they have a air bag suspension system that is not mounted on a swivel pedestal like RV seats.  They also require a small airline from the air brake compressor to inflate the air bag.  All things to consider.  They are extremely comfortable as they are usually in use 8-10 hours a day almost every day, but very utilitarian looking.

Looking thru other forums I noticed that I came across an interesting fact - the captains charis in the Thor/Damon Ultraleather around 2006 are debonding. Lots of those MH owners are complaining about the problems.

I'm just wondering if anyone who replaced their chairs with Ultraleather are having similar problems?

We've had Flexsteel chairs with Ultraleather for 8 years and they look like new.  I doubt there's any problem with Ultraleather itself, more likely it's the particular chair model or even just those particular chairs.

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like the leather debonding on those captain's chairs started in the 2006 year and later. I'd post the link but It's on another forum and I don't think thats 'Kosher'. It's good to read where other Ultraleather owners haven't had problems.

I'd hate to spend 1500 to 2000 for seats and then have them breakdown  :mad:

The Lucky's - Jim

The Bostrom seats that I am familar with, where in a 1979 Ford Club Wagon van. There were four of them. They were the most comfortable seat I have ever had. I put 325000 miles on that van and the seat were still in great shape.  Not sure if Bostrom is as good now as it was back then.

Good luck with your seats
George

I am considering changing out my captains chars and removing the console, to possibly allow for a swivel.
I had a few bmw's back in the day, just 3 series, but bmw seat are so comfy! I have visions of some boneyard cheap comfy seat with even a possible adapter plate out of .25 steel.
I just need to find the swivel.
Maybe a 72 monte carlo with that option?

Happy Trails,
Lisa

What kind of RV. What brand of chassis? It's a good Idea to insert year, make and model in your signature line so those that know their stuff can more readily respond.

If you have a Ford, Chevy or Dodge van cab, you can probably find a set of swivel captains chairs in a junk yard, out of a conversion or class B or C camper from the same manufacturer. Possibly even from newer models, that will bolt right in.

Bill

It sounds like a lot of folks earlier (like 2 yrs earlier) on in this tread were having their Rv seats replaced with seats from some of the actual RV seat supplier, Lisa had mentioned using BMW seats, while I agree they are comfy - I don't think they would look quite right  - maybe too sporty looking.  I am pretty sure their seats are Recaro (at least in the M series cars). So they wont be cheap to buy or re-upholster. I just wanted to share what I thought was a great find. I recently swapped out the seats in my class C with seats from a Honda Odyssey. They are SUPER. They are very adjustable and comfortable , and the right size. They look correct in the RV as well.  The seats have very level bases - which make it very easy to mount to the original pedestals (w/some flat bar). I used the divers and passengers which have some very cool storage type armrests, they are power and heated. My RV has two rear captains sets which the odyssey has perfect seats for that as well. (rear seats are captains in odyssey). The best part was I was able to get the whole set in leather for less than $200 at a local junkyard. It seems the odysseys are plentiful. Mine were out of a 03'. I have seen them online for more than that, but best investment if you are looking for take-out type seats. I was looking for the seats out of a Toyota Sienna, the later model have rear captains with leg recliners. They are available, but out of my budge. Funny thing is that there is a company in Indiana that sells them as new take-outs on Ebay. I think they are coming out of handicapped modified vans, as the plant is there.
Just my 2 cents, thought I would share my experience and success with used seats.

Back
Top Bottom