Upgrading our new (to us) RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_miles

Hello every one. My wife and I just bought our first RV and we plan on traveling around the U.S. this summer. Any suggestions on renewable energy? Looking for something cheap and simple that will charge our phones, laptops, and power a radio and maybe a CFL. We are both seasoned travelers but this will be our first experience on the RV circuit. Any tips, tricks, upgrades, etc. will be well appreciated.
Thanks!

1979 Dodge, Lazy Daze 23'

p.s. has any one used  pellet stoves for an alternative heating source?

Well folks, get set because you are in for the time of your life.  You are going to see so many new places, meet so many neat people, and have so much fun, that you will soon be asking why you waited so long to get started.  But the important thing is that you have started.  Along the way you will surely have questions, or want a little advice on how to troubleshoot something, or where to camp, and this is the place to ask.  Our membership consists of folks with all levels of experience and all sorts of RVs, and all are anxious to share with you and make your life a bit easier. 

However, we go farther than that.  We also provide a great social side to RVing.  Here you can enter discussions with folks who share your enthusiasm for RVing.  Join any you like, or start you own.

We have a library that may be of use to you also.

We are pleased that you have joined us.  Welcome aboard!

Lazy Daze...I love those. Be sure to ventilate well when burning fuels inside of the RV.  We just use the heater provided and  an electric heat cube if needed.
J

@ geodrake
Hey thanks for the warm welcome. We are both very excited. This seems like a great community to be apart of. I have been exploring the site and I am learning a lot.

@ 34footer
It seems other people have been looking for a pellet stove solution as well but there does not seem to be any thing available for RVs. Extra blankets is the cheapest solution I guess.

Just a suggestion - Check the boating community.  google "boat wood stoves" (without the quotes), you'll find wood stoves suitable for small enclosed spaces.  They do have to be vented, though.

Ralph

Hello, we have found when dry camping, (boon docking), that to conserve fuel we do two things. One is that we have a Buddy heater. It uses propane, but catalyzes the fuel and is safe to use indoors. It does consume oxygen, but you leave a window slightly open. We never use it over night, just two or three hours to drive out the morning chill. This saves using the big furnace and the batteries.

2nd. we use a small generator of about 1000 to 1250 watts to power most every thing except the air conditioner. Our on board generator, (43 amps), uses about 1 gallon of gas per hour. The small generator, (10 amps), will run several hours on 1 gallon.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom