Tire monitors ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I reached between the dual tires to install the pressure pro on the inside as well as the outside valve stems.? Wasn't hard at all.? I was concerned about getting the sensors on these locations but Bernie told me how do it and it was just as he said.? Yes you will have to remove the sensor to inflate the tire when necessary but it won't be that big of a deal.? The comfort of knowing the tires are ok while diving will be worth it.

I have ACCU-SHIELD aluminum wheels on my front wheels and on my outside rear wheels. My tire dealer told me the inside rear wheels were steel. I crawled under and could not determine whether they were steel or not but they were definitely not the same as the outer wheels.

I asked my dealer why the valve stems on the outer wheels came up about an inch and then had a 90 degree bend pointing to the inside of the coach. The tire dealer said they were that way so I could add air if I ever moved them to be inside tires. When I asked him why I would ever want to do that he expressed the obvious (since the inside and outside wheels are different) "never."

I want to mount PressurePro air pressure sensors on the valves and they would not fit in that configuration. Therefore, the tire dealer merely let the air out of the outside tires, loosened the nut on the outside of the valve stem, easily rotated it out about 120 degrees, tightened the nut, filled the tires, checked for leaks and I was on my way. If by chance, I would ever put those wheels on the inside. I can always reverse the above procedure.

Does anyone see any problems with the above?

BTW I am not trying to highjack this thread by changing the subject. I just thought I would post my solution for those that think the sensors will not fit on their valve stems.

JamesOne said:

I asked my dealer why the valve stems on the outer wheels came up about an inch and then had a 90 degree bend pointing to the inside of the coach. The tire dealer said they were that way so I could add air if I ever moved them to be inside tires. When I asked him why I would ever want to do that he expressed the obvious (since the inside and outside wheels are different) "never."

The reason is SAFETY.  One doesn't want to be driving down the road at 70 MPH and have a rock, alligator or any other piece of debris snap off the valve extender.

Leo

Leo said, "The reason is SAFETY.? One doesn't want to be driving down the road at 70 MPH and have a rock, alligator or any other piece of debris snap off the valve extender."

I went out to look at my valves again and took a photo.

I think the odds of debris breaking the stems in their new position is not much greater then in their previous position. However, I thank you for your comments and you certainly have a valid point.

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 28
Ron said, "No need to turn the valve stems anyway.  Just reach in between the duals to install the sensors like I did."

Very true, Ron. I just got back from checking to see if I could and the answer is yes. However (there's always a however isn't there) because of the mudflap and fender, I would be able to reach the valve stem only if it is betweem 4 and 7 o'clock. See the attached photo. That means to fill the outside tires I would probably have to move the coach slightly.

After careful consideration  ::) I believe I have the better solution for my tire configuration, but I thank you for your comments.

Attachments

• Tire2.jpg
    Tire2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 31
I was able to move the mudflap enough forward to allow me to reach in.  But it looks like you have a solution the will work.  Now PM Bernie.

"Now PM Bernie."

I did a couple of days ago but no answer yet. He was very helpful in getting an old sensor sent to me that I could actually try the fit on all of my tires.

Bernie is in Death Valley and probably without a connection to the internet possibly no cell service either.  He should be returning next week and I'm sure he will be getting in touch as soon as he can.

Thanks Ron, no problem. I can wait. I'm not going anywhere until January 1, 2006.

Another couple of questions?

Where did each of you mount the monitor? Any photos?

Why does PressurePro say to connect the monitor to an always hot circuit? While this would alert me in the middle of the night to a problem, what am I going to do about it? Probably turn it off until I can check it out in the morning. In addition, if I should be away for a few days, it seems to me it could run down the sensor batteries. I like the idea the system would only be on when the ignition key is in ACC or ON. But I must be missing something.

You can mount the monitor anywhere it's visible to you.  We mounted ours to the right of the driver above our TV, but every dashboard is different, so find a convenient place.  The audible alarm will alert you so you don't have to always see the lights.

By having the unit always on, it will alert you any time a tire loses air, even in the middle of the night.  This is better than finding out just as you start the engine to leave :)

The sesnor batteries aren't affected by the monitor at all.  They send out a brief signal periodically to say that they're still alive, but they don't know or care if the monitor is on.  The monitor draws so little current that it won't discharge your chassis (or house) batteries either, so that's not a problem.

Thanks Ned,

You said, "The sesnor batteries aren't affected by the monitor at all.? They send out a brief signal periodically to say that they're still alive, but they don't know or care if the monitor is on."

What I was concerned with is this statement in the installation manual:

"If a low-pressure alert is given while in storage, the Sensor will alert until the pressure is corrected and could dramatically affect the battery life of the Sensor."

After rereading your comment and the installation manual, it appears that turning the monitor off will not have any affect on the life of the Sensor battery. If it detects a low pressure it will just sit there sending out it's signals until the Sensor battery runs down.? PressurePro's recommended solution is to remove the Sensors while the coach is in storage.

On the other hand, in the FAQs they have this:

WHAT MAKES MY SYSTEM SENSORS TRANSMIT?
Sensors will transmit data to the Monitor under the following conditions:
1 Sensors update with a signal every 5 minutes.
2 Air pressure has dropped 12.5% of your baseline tire pressure. This alert will continuously transmit once per second until low pressure is corrected or the ON button is pressed to place Monitor in Reminder Mode.
3. Air pressure has dropped to the second alert level, 25% under your
programmed pressures. Alert will transmit twice per second. If a button is
not pressed, unit will alert until pressure is corrected or up to 15 hours.
4. A Sensor is removed from its tire.

What do you suppose #4 means. If I remove the sensors for storage, is it going to continuously transmit?

Oof, I'm getting confused. ::)

Correct, you should remove the sensors while in storage to preserve the batteries in the event of air loss.? You will then need to check the tire pressures with a regular tire gauge and reinflate if necessary before reinstalling the sensors as they will reset to the current pressure.

4 means that when you remove a sensor, this is the same as a total loss of air pressure.? This is temporary and it will shut off after a short period of time.? Bernie can give you a better explanation if necessary.  However, he's in Death Valley right now and may not see this until he gets back to civilization.  If you want more detailed information before then, I suggest you call:

Douglas W. McMeen
Advantage PressurePro LLC
Tele: 816-887-3505

I have found Doug to be very helpful and friendly on the phone and he knows the system better than anyone since it's his system :)

So if I had a partial loss of pressure on a tire  during storage, the sensor battery will run down.  To protect from this possibility I should remove the sensor during storage, creating a total loss of pressure (according to Pressure Pro). This implies that the sensor will turn off quickly with a total loss of pressure but continue to operate with only a partial loss. Could have been designed that way. Or more likely, the contact displacement with the valve button (have no idea what it's called) in the tire valve core creates a contact in the sensor that turns on/off the battery.

Yes, Yes, Yes, probably :)  Again, a call to Doug will get the authoritative answers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom