What size pop-top can I pull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peregrine

I have an 02 Jeep wrangler-6cyl eng-auto trans-4 inch lift kit-large tires.
Question- How long of a pop-top could I tow safely assuming some mountain pulling ?
Thanks for your help.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, the Trailer Life Towing guide for 2002 ( http://www.trailerlife.com/images/downloads/02towingguide.pdf ) says 2000lbs. That assumes a stock Jeep however. You say 'large' tires, did you re-gear the front and rear axles with a numericly higher ratio? This will have some effect on how well the Jeep will tow.

As to what specific pop-ups you could tow, I guess some reading on manufacturer websites or cruising the dealerships would give the best answer.

Good Luck!

A tow rating of 2000 lbs rules out out of any tent trailer I can find -- most have a GVWR of 3500 lbs, a few as low as 2200 lbs.  Add mountains into the equation and you may as well reduce that tow capacity to 1600 lbs.  Also those oversized tires have lowered your tow rating by reducing the numerical final drive ratio.

You may well be best off in a 500-1000 lb. utility trailer to carry your gear and a big tent.

Thanks folks for your input- plan one is to by an RV, but I just thought that I would ask as towing a pop-up would have be cheaper.
Primary plan is to tow the Jeep with a 25 foot RV or so, of some type-questions about this option to follow.
Thanks again for your replies.
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom