1997 Coachmen Mirada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jflo631

Hello everyone!! I am looking to purchase a 1997 Coachmen Mirada 31' with 10,000 miles. The dealer is asking $9900.  It is on a GM chassis so it has the 454.  I looked at it today, looks good on the outside, the stickers are cracked but I would expect that in the AZ sun.  It has new tires and runs great.  Inside looks as great for a 1997.  Everything works inside and out. I have previewed your checklist and everything checks out.  The dealer had an inspection done when it arrived. Hoses have been replaced and everything has been recently serviced.  I am curious if this is a "good deal"?  I am new to motorhomes and I don't want to get involved in a "money pit".  I appreciate your help!! :D

You either mispelled the price or the mileage. If both are correct, then you either got yourself a super deal or a hidden money hole. ;D

It has 10,000 miles, and they want $9,900..  the generator only has 190hrs on it as well..  Very light wear on the entire unit inside and out..

Seems like an awfully low price, but NADA book says that is about right for a very-low mileage 97 Mirada. Over $2000 uplift for the very low miles, so a typical price for one would be $7500.

The Mirada is a very inexpensive unit to begin with, so don't expect frills or top quality construction. Insulation is likely to be minimal, nose and vibration relatively high, that sort of thing.  It's a weekend getaway machine, not a fulltimer's home.

A little used motorhome can have problems with anything rubber - belts, hoses, etc. And tires are probably old, even though they look good. Check the dates on the tire sidewalls to be sure they are recent and not 7-10 year old tires that look new.

Thanks guys, The tires are being replaced prior to delivery (original tires are cracked on side walls).  We plan on making weekend trips here and there, maybe a longer trip once a year!  I appreciate everyones help! This forum has been very useful for a first time buyer like myself!!

Like you I bought a very low mileage Coachmen.  I love the unit as it does everything I expected it to do.  I did replace the tires like you and had the trans flush and radiator flush done as well before the 1st trip.  Now as someone has said here many times Coachmen is looked at like the bargain basement of motorhomes.  I disagree with that.  After all the chassis are all the same, IE Ford, GM etc.  The appliances are made by the same mfgs, IE Atwood, Onan ETC.  The main difference I have seen is that the cabnits have pictures of wood rather than veneer.  I don't care! I spent 23k on my rig 3 years ago and will get the same amount of comfort that the "quality" rig owners get and have spent less than half of what they did.  My rig has no vibrations, again same Ford chassis and a few rattles that I will take care of this spring. It is a 11 year old rig by the way.  So enjoy your Coachmen and I wish you much happiness with it. Bob

As you will note, we too have a Coachmen, just a different model.  We bought it used, and have owned it for close to 6 years.  The troubles we have had are with supplied components, and represent wear & tear maintenance.  Coachmen are one of the larger RV manufacturers, but are not a major player in the Class A market, where they make entry model units.  We are very happy with ours, and it was the floorplan that continues to make us prefer the unit. 

As mentioned before this unit has minimal insulation..  Will one A/C be able to cool this MH in the heat of summer (115 degrees)??  If not what is an alternative??

I disagree with one unit it won't stay cold.  We we in Nashville last year and it was 100 out and ours stayed cold as ice.  The unit ran fine, maybe a little longer than with two units, but it kept it 65 inside with no problem.  I really cannot see where you can put more insulation in "highend" units than others.  You have the same wall thickness and ceiling thickness.  Mine has insulation all though the walls and ceiling. I know this because I converted the old tube TV out to an LCD and was amazed how much insulation that was there compared to a Jay co travel trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom