Texas With the Stocks - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean & Linda Stock

DAY 1 ? March 13 ?Fredericksburg, Texas
Whew!  We?ve arrived on our first day of our Texas adventure.  We drove from near Disneyland in CA to Tucson (487 mi.)?Wal-Mart, then to El Paso (342 mi.)?Wal-Mart, then to Kerrville (486 mi.)?Wal-Mart.  We spent the day visiting the cute town of Kerrville.  We started at the small Riverside Nature Center, which is next to the Guadalupe River.  People have worked hard to plant a lot of trees to attract birds, and they are well-signed.  It is free, but they welcomed our donation.  Riverside will be alive with blooms in another month. But now the leaves are just beginning to set on, except for the Mexican plum tree (picture).  These were at their peak and just loaded with blossoms and BEES!  We left the bees alone, and they left us alone.  We saw lots of what I think were finches (picture) and beautiful red and orange cardinals, but they were too camera-shy and there were too many people walking around for them to stay for more than a second or two.  If anyone reads this log thinks I mislabeled, you are probably correct, so please let me know?I don?t want to give bad information, and no hurt feelings at all.
We then went to the Kerr Arts & Cultural Center.  They had 4 ?micro-mini? shows, one photography exhibit by just one photographer, a tiny Japanese exhibit with 3 ikebana (Japanese flower arrangements), and 2 groups of juried art works.  4 of their members had gone to Japan to study flower-arranging, and they had a loop of their slides playing, which I found fascinating?awesome gardens, superb close-ups, great ?people? pictures, and wonderfully sharp photography with great composition.  They also had an intriguing room of fluorescent minerals.  I thought it was well worth the stop, and we donated to help keep them going.
At the gardens and cultural center we met wonderful, chatty ladies who were full of  good information.  We were told to go to a nearby framing and art store, but it was small and so crammed we couldn?t see much.  We stopped at a sidewalk caf? at the corner of Water & Earl Garrett and had a nice, but pricy ($8.50) lunch.  We by-passed the Museum of Western Art, which I think may be nice, and we will go there another time.
This is just like small-town Alaska, really nice people and modest everything.  Don?t expect big-city museums or set your expectations too high.  We are just enjoying the wonderful ?warn feel? of the area.
It?s a good thing we didn?t dally any longer in Kerrville.  I tried the two ?best? RV parks in town, and they both had waiting lists of weeks.  When we got to the Fredericksburg Wal-Mart at 4:15, it also was pretty full.  It seems that there is an re-enactment of WWII going on this weekend!  It could be a gem if we get to see something special, or it could be a dud if there are crowds everywhere.

Miles traveled: 34
Temperature: 79?F
Stayed at Wal-Mart in Fredericksburg

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 66
Bless you, Linda, for taking the time to take us along on your travels once again.  I'll be eagerly awaiting your posts as you travel through areas we have enjoyed and some others we probably missed.  You do such a good job of describing your adventures!

Margi

Linda....this is gonna be such fun!  You know how much I love seeing moose, so if you see one.....let me know....better yet call me and I'll be right out there.    ;)

Marsha~

Next month there will be a Texas Hill Country Rally just a few miles from where you are.  If there is any way for you to remain in the area it would be enjoyable and well worth your time.

Linda,

I'm so happy to see you've started another trip journal.  Boy, you guys really made tracks from L.A.!  Hope you can get in the Nimitz museum and that it's not ridiculously crowded.  But, if not, it's a good excuse to return!

ArdraF

Linda,

It will be good to keep up with you.  I recall several favorite German food restaurants in Fredsrickburg as well as the museum.

Betty

Glad to see you got going on your Texas Adventure but, dang, that was a lot of miles in a short time ! I think you must have blown right by us while we were in Deming. Looking forward to hearing about all the great places you go.

Enjoy
Wendy
Elephant Butte Lake S.P., New Mexico

DAY 2?March 14?Spring Branch
We wanted to get an early start because we had heard how wonderful the National Museum of the Pacific War (Nimitz Museum) was, and we only had one day to see it.  It is rated as a ?GEM? by AAA, and it is truly excellent. Tickets were $12 (adult)+ $10 (senior) and are good for 48 hours from time of purchase.
Our first discovery this morning was that our watches and clocks had the wrong time; they were off by one hour according to my cell phone, which is never wrong.  I had been so careful to change my watch as we went through each time zone, and I knew that Texas is not in the East Coast time zone!  I discreetly checked the time when we went into the museum, and it seemed that everyone was off by an hour.  It wasn?t until the afternoon that I discovered that Daylight Savings Time had started, so we had one hour less in the museum.  It is packed with information, which is very well displayed in a beautiful, modern building. Dean got a picture of a B-25, which was part of Doolittle?s raid on Tokyo. The museum has detailed information on each of the campaigns and battles in the Pacific.  My dad was in WWII, as was Dean?s.  My daughter?s father-in-law witnessed the attack on Pearl Harbor from his roof (he is Hawaiian), so I get the necessity of the war.  I did learn a lot at the museum, but I enjoyed seeing the green finch that landed outside our RV and watching the red-tailed hawk that was soaring overhead a whole lot more.  The Japanese Garden of Peace at the museum was small, but well done.

Miles traveled: 60
Temperature:  Internet says it was 71?F, but both of us think it felt 7 or 8? warmer
Stayed at Ned and Lorna?s in Spring Branch

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 47
Wendy said:
Glad to see you got going on your Texas Adventure but, dang, that was a lot of miles in a short time ! I think you must have blown right by us while we were in Deming. Looking forward to hearing about all the great places you go.

Enjoy
Wendy
Elephant Butte Lake S.P., New Mexico

We were supposed to leave on Feb. 21, and we ended up leaving on March 10.  We had a whole series of snafus, but none were health-related, so all is good.  It was like the monkeys at Chuck E. Cheese; you bonk one on the head with a rubber hammer and another pops up.  It started with delayed forms that are supposed to be sent to us so we could do our taxes (I had to have taxes complete before we left; after seeing how things can get screwed up with mail on our Alaska trip, I wasn't going to have important papers coming to RV parks and hope to have the timing right). It ended with Dean having a dead battery on his car.  We brought a couple of problems with us and will try to resolve them on the road.  So, we had to skip several stops and shorten our stays at the beginning of our trip because I splurged and reserved a great site right on the Gulf for the week starting March 13.  I was able to postpone it to March 20, but that was before the last 3 or 4 problems.  And I didn't want to ask them to postpone it a second time.  So, we are scurrying.  We'll be back through here in November, so we'll have an excuse to stop and pick up the places we missed--something to look forward to.

I am sorry we didn't know you were in Deming.  I remember seeing it!  We could have always made time to meet up with you.  For now, we'll talk through internet; hope you are coming to Hop-Skip-Jump!

Linda

DAY 3?March 15?Spring Branch
The day started with rain, so we looked up the weather prediction and altered our plans and went to the LBJ Nat?l Historical Park. We limited our visit to the Visitor Center, which had 2 interesting films, one about Lady Bird, and one about Lyndon.  They had a timeline with events of LBJ?s life correlated with world events of the time.  I learned that he was actually rather poor when growing up, and that really influenced his desire to build a Great Society and to start Head Start.  He believed in the Job Corps to train people, giving them a hand up rather than a handout.  We spent 3 hours there, and we did not go to his childhood homes, which Lorna tells us is very interesting, also.
I am enjoying the Texans so much.  They are really nice, and like the Alaskans, they tell it as it is.  I had questions about a couple of other attractions, and I was told they were rundown and not worth visiting.
On the way back, Dean got a picrture of the darling miniature horses which are raised in this area.  They are less than 3 feet high, about the size of a large dog.  There was one palomino that was gorgeous and stole my heart. 

Miles traveled: 0
Temperature:  High of 73?, quick shower in the morning, and lots of rain after dark
Stayed at Ned and Lorna?s

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 31
geodrake said:
Next month there will be a Texas Hill Country Rally just a few miles from where you are.  If there is any way for you to remain in the area it would be enjoyable and well worth your time.

We aren't able to come to the rally, too much to see and too little time, but this is pretty country with friendly people.  The trees will all have leaves, and the wildflowers should be awesome with all the rain they've had this year.  The birds already are singing their choruses, and the air has a nice scent with something blooming. 

Tom and Margi said:
Bless you, Linda, for taking the time to take us along on your travels once again. 

Margi, you have set the bar high.  I'll do my best.  I look forward to hearing suggestions of what to see and where to go--places you've been.

Marsha/CA said:
Linda....this is gonna be such fun!  You know how much I love seeing moose, so if you see one.....let me know....better yet call me and I'll be right out there.    ;)

Marsha~

Marsha - I'm pretty sure she won't be seeing one here in central Texas!  However, the rest of the wild life makes the trip worthwhile.

Sheltie,

It's an inside joke.  When we were in Canada on two separate occasions, everyone said we'd see lots of moose....well we didn't.  So Linda sends me private emails of moose info and pictures she has seen or taken...it's been fun.  I just couldn't resist.  I've been to Texas and have seen their wildlife, including a Javalina (Havalina?), up close and personal.  :D

Marsha~

Marsha,

Same with us during our trip across Canada a couple years ago.  Nary a wild animal of any kind. The javelina's are not so much fun, up close and personal or not.  I'll be watching, and enjoying, the Stock's visit in Texas.

We've lived in AZ for over 11 years and have never seen a Javelina. We have also driven past innumerable signs on I-17 and I-40 with elk caution and never seen one there. :'( :'(

Bernie,

Have you and Marlene ever been to the "living desert museum" in Tucson?  It's one of our favorites and it has lots of javelins.  When we lived in San Diego, we would take a spring trip to Tucson and then to Phoenix for a couple of weeks and loved it.  The last 2 springs we have been working on the yard in the new house.  Hopefully we'll get back to that routine.

Marsha~

Bernie and Marsha - We had a pair of javelinas run by our motorhome in the campground we stayed at in Benson, Arizona, so there are at least 2 living wild in Arizona :) As for those pesky elk on I-40 around Flagstaff, I actually saw ONE a few years ago after traveling that road dozens of times.

Maybe Linda will see a whole herd in Texas and send us pictures ! (getting back on topic :) )

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
Bernie,

Have you and Marlene ever been to the "living desert museum" in Tucson?  It's one of our favorites and it has lots of javelins.

Been there, enjoyed that :D , but don't remember seeing a javalina. May have, but just don't remember. Anyways, seeing them in a zoo doesn't count.

On our very first trip through Tucson we stopped for the night at the Voyager RV Park.  Went for a walk around the park after dinner and there was a javelina within a few feet of us.  I didn't even know what they were before that!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom