EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Texas With the Stocks - 2010  (Read 46000 times)

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Texas With the Stocks - 2010
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
They're having so much fun they've forgotten all about those of us sitting in our stick house and who got snowed on this morning !!

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »
They're probably at the movies.<G>

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
Their ain't no movie houses where they were heading to last.  Unless you have one of them thar sateeelite thingys...you're not even gonna find out the world has been destroyed to you realize you don't have no air to breath.  Linda, Deanlet us hear from you.  I can get my sherriiif buddy to come a looking fer you if'in need be.

BTW...the orchard and the baltimore oriole showed up today in the yard.
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
Their ain't no movie houses where they were heading to last.  Unless you have one of them thar sateeelite thingys...you're not even gonna find out the world has been destroyed to you realize you don't have no air to breath.  Linda, Deanlet us hear from you.  I can get my sherriiif buddy to come a looking fer you if'in need be.

BTW...the orchard and the baltimore oriole showed up today in the yard.

Jim, Terry, and Wendy,

We're glad to be back--even happier than you noticed we were gone.  We've been having some electronics problems--either iPhoto, the computer, the camera--one or more of those electronics things.  Dean has spent many hours working on it, found one error and corrected it, but we still had problems and things weren't working.  We kept on truckin'.  Then, magically, Santa sent an elf during the night, and when I opened up Safari this a.m., it had a message that said just to press YES, and I did, and I think (hope) all is well.

We had an exciting day today punctuated with a BLOWOUT on the RV!  Dean is out hooking up the toad (we went out to dinner), and we just got back.  It's currently 10:30 and Dean has been yawning for a couple of hours, so I don't know if we'll get much posted tonight.  They are all written, just need to be posted.

Thanks to all of you for caring!  Terry, I wish we had been at the movies.  In the movies all the problems get solved; hopefully, all of ours are, too.  Tomorrow we go to Freightliner to see if we have any damage from when the tire went BOOM!
Linda
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
DAY 29—APRIL 10—Houston
   Last night we extended our stay here because we hadn’t been to Anahuac NP yet.  It rained off and on all morning, so we cancelled our trip.  We went to see “Date Night” at AMC 24 in nearby Willowbrook Mall and shopped. 
Miles Traveled:  0
Temperature:  75°
Stayed at Traders’ Village
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2010, 12:34:07 AM »
DAY 30—APRIL 11—WINNIE
   We went to High Island and visited the Audubon sites.  We heard the Carolina wrens singing all the time we were there, and finally we spotted one on top of a pole (Picture 1).  We caught a glimpse of a green heron as he flew into the brush.  Other than that, even the birders with the huge lenses on their cameras and spotting scopes said it was “quiet”.  They said that yesterday it was brimming with birds.
   We drove out to the rookery.  The great egrets and roseate spoonbills share the same nesting areas.
   We drove out to Anahuac NWR.  They were all excited because there was a ruff (?sp) out there.  People were standing on top of trucks to be able to see it over the reeds and understory.  We weren’t willing to risk life and limb to see a bird, so we quietly moved on by.  We were treated to a scarlet tanager.  Dean got several pictures, and we hope to eventually retrieve them.  He was bright red and gorgeous!  He just sat there posing for us to take his photo.
    We have heard the splashes of alligators, but today we spotted 3 of them in streams or on the banks.  We saw several fishermen.  No way you’d find me fishing in ‘gater country.
Stayed at Winnie RV, FHU, 50 AMPS
Miles Traveled:  61
Temperature: 80°
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
DAY 31—APRIL 12—WILLIS
   We went to the Big Thicket National Preserve Visitor’s Center.  They had a nice display, including one fat crawdad (crayfish).  They had learned the same way that I did when I was teaching that they eat each other.  Try teaching a math lesson while one crawdad is consuming another!  They had good samples, dioramas, and explanations of the flora and fauna in the preserve.  I learned a lot.
     We drove out to the trails.  The trails meandered through a mixture of hardwoods and pines, then bald cypress swamps.  On the Sundew-Hickory Trail we saw lots of pitcher plants, which emit a sweet smell which attracts insects to them.  The insects land on them and slide down their slippery “throat” where they then land in a pool of digestive juices.  We took pictures, but they have not been retrieved.  Maybe Santa’s elves  will come tonight and bring them back. 
   We went out to the second site, Pitcher Plant Trail, and they were doing prescribed burning.  Unfortunately, they had told the Visitors’ Center that it would be done tomorrow.
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park, FHU, 50 AMPS, on a large pond with ducks,    beautiful site, excellently maintained
Miles Traveled:  140
Temperature: 82°
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

34footer

• ---
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
I'm glad that your'e OK after the B/O, did you have a spare, or did you have to wait hours for a tire to be located?
J
1988 Pace Arrow, 34 feet, Chevy 454
                       So Cal

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2010, 07:26:59 AM »
Omega Farms is about 3 miles from our house.
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
I'm glad that your'e OK after the B/O, did you have a spare, or did you have to wait hours for a tire to be located?
J

We don't carry a spare.  It's just too big.  I wish I'd timed it, but I think we waited about an hour.  Of course, it seemed longer because I was nervous as the big trucks swished by.  The Goodyear man came from Giddings.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
Omega Farms is about 3 miles from our house.

I loved Omega Farms; it is extremely well run and in a beautiful site.   However, next time I'd stay at Cagle; you can't beat Mother Nature.  You live in Paradise!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
I loved Omega Farms; it is extremely well run and in a beautiful site.   However, next time I'd stay at Cagle; you can't beat Mother Nature.  You live in Paradise!

I tried to tell you about Cagle.  Did you get to see the red cockaded woodpecker?
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
Glad to have you back online. And I notice that you did go to the movies one night :)

Keep on posting.
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
Glad to have you back online. And I notice that you did go to the movies one night :)

Keep on posting.
Wendy

There may be more movies as it has rained all day today, and it is projected to do it for the other 2 days we're here.  We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)

We saw Avatar in 3D (really liked it). Also Alice in Wonderland in 3D (also really liked it). And last time we saw How to Train Your Dragon in 3D (really, really liked it). Saw Clash of the Titans (not in 3D, it was ok). Had a hard time finding a movie we both wanted to see last time we went to the movies. There's always Blockbuster or the Red Box rental thingies....looks like they have some good stuff. I usually end up getting into my DVD stash and watching some of the classics.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
There may be more movies as it has rained all day today, and it is projected to do it for the other 2 days we're here.  We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)

Where is here?
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
DAY 32—APRIL 13—WILLIS
   We enjoyed seeing the ducks fly into our pond, and one egret stopped by briefly.  We also have one wild, semi-resident goose.  When we went to the dumpster, I saw the first bluebird I’ve ever seen.
   We went to the Sam Houston National Forest, and we got lost.  Our GPS didn’t have it—either through phone number, address, or “camping”.  We had Mapquest directions, which were totally wrong and took us through many miles of beautiful country and forest.  We finally came to a small town, called SHNF, told them where we were, and they gave us great directions.
   SHNF is a gorgeous pine forest.  None of the trails were accessible for me, but it was beautiful.  The campgrounds are picturesque, and we will come back to spend some “down time”, just relaxing, sitting under the trees reading.  We stopped and talked to people who were camped at the NF campground known as Cagle .  It is only $10/night with FHU, 50 amps.  We also learned about Passport America from these people, and we have joined them.  We will save the cost of an annual membership, $44, at our next stop in Austin, which is a member of Passport America.   
Miles Traveled:  0
Temperature: 85°
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
DAY 33—APRIL 14—AUSTIN
   What a day!  I was hoping to be in Austin early enough to go see something.   The best laid plans…..  We saw gorgeous wildflowers along the whole drive.  We went by huge fields of blue, then yellow, then bright pink.  The bluebonnets are winning me over.  Their blue is becoming much deeper.  Either they are getting more dense or they become bluer with age.  The first ones we saw were a pale blue.  The bright yellows are still my favorites, though they are all spectacular.  Most of the route was through small towns followed by farms. 
   It seemed it was taking forever to get to Austin; we were still 35 miles away. I was beginning to think it was a little boring.  I started to doze off when there was a boom and an earthquake inside the coach.  I’d never had a blowout before, even in a car, but I knew right away what it was.  Dean set it down pretty quickly on the side of the highway.   
   I cancelled our 4-day RV camp reservation in anticipation of having to be towed. I thought it was too dangerous to change the tire since we were so close to the traffic. 
   We were fortunate to have a good road assistance program through Thor, and the Goodyear man showed up within an hour.  He performed his magic and Dean had him play Musical Tires (an adaptation of Musical Chairs)—something about having the same kind of tread on the same side.
   By the time we got underway again, it was 6:00, well past the time the RV camp closed.  I called ahead to Wal-Mart and talked with the manager, who gave us the OK.  We are the only ones here.  The security guard came over right away to tell us we couldn’t stay, and I told him that the manager had given us permission. We’ll go over to the RV camp tomorrow morning.
   It was quite late, but I wanted to do something on my Things to See List.  We went to Abuelo’s Restaurant, which had received rave reviews.  We both really liked our meals, and they were reasonably priced.  Their flan is tied for first place; I’m a flan fan. The restaurant is  pretty, too, and the service was great.  They are in a shopping center near downtown.
Miles Traveled:
Temperature: 80°, with sprinkles
Stayed at Wal-mart
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »
Their flan is tied for first place; I’m a flan fan.

So am I!  Jerry's mother and I ate our way across Spain - Flan and Gazpacho.  YUM!!!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
I hope you made it to Pedernales Falls. 

It was so neat to stand in the closet window this morning and watch two Indigo Buntings sit on the the feeder.  Yesterday Judy watched one in the bird bath have a ball.

We left about 10 for Quintana for the Migration Celebration.  We went over about 3 and walked the bird sanctuary.  They are just now starting to arrive.  Oh my!  First thing was a Indigo Bunting but of course we saw him this morning at home.  Blue jays, grackles, brown headed cowbirds in abundance. Next was the Yellow warbler, the black and white warbler, the yellow billed cuckoo, the female and male orchard oriole, blue grosbeak, rose breasted grosbeak and finally the painted bunting came for water.

In the morning we are going for the bird banding.

Have I told you that I'm a S.O.B.?  Spouse of a birder.  But I'm learning. 

Pictures on their way.

Safe travels.
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
DAY 34—APRIL 15—AUSTIN
   We have so many places we want to visit, and rain wasn’t going to keep us home.  We went to the Capitol first.  We went on a short, but interesting tour.  They have a huge rotunda that is 218’ high, 14’ higher than the U. S. Capitol.  Louisiana recently rebuilt their capitol with a tall tower, so Texas lost its reputation as the highest capitol, though it is still the largest.  They are very proud of being big; in fact they say they will be the biggest state again when the ice in Alaska melts!  We took pictures, but we’re still having problems, so we don’t know when, or if, we will ever get them into the Photo Gallery.
   They had two impressive statues, one of which was of Sam Houston, the first governor.  He had two nicknames, “The Raven” and “Big Drunk”.  He lived with the Indians twice, once when he was younger, and then again after the loss of his wife.  He was a busy guy—the only person to be governor of two states, Texas and Tennessee, and he was Texas’s first U. S. senator.  Texas has had 6 flags—Spanish, French, Mexican, Republic of Texas, U. S., and Confederacy.  They were pictured in marble in the foyer, and were very pretty.  The Civil War ended in 1865, but Texas didn’t rejoin the U. S. until 1870.  The Democrats allowed the republican candidate, Hayes, to win if they would quit occupying the south—talk about the granddaddy of backroom deals!  They had all the governors’ portraits, but the one that intrigued me was Miriam Ferguson who was the governor from 1925-1927, after her husband was impeached.  He didn’t want the University of Texas teaching about evolution, and the academics were powerful enough to get him impeached, despite his great popularity.  Miriam ran on the slogan of “2 governors for the price of one.”  They were called “Ma” and “Pa” Ferguson.  She tried to pardon him, so she lost the next election, but she was re-elected in 1933 for two more years.  Texas had the first woman governor, less than a decade after women got the right to vote.
   We then went to the Visitors’ Center, which had discount coupons, a great map, and lots of good information.
   I was so looking forward to the George Washington Carver Museum, but Dean wasn’t.  One of my students did a report on him, and I learned that he was a fascinating, multi-talented man.  What a waste!  Of our time and the city of Austin’s money.  It was a beautiful building, but inside was just one small glass case with a bit of Carver’s history.  There were 2 galleries.  One was devoted to blacks who had made achievements, just their pictures and a paragraph about their accomplishments.  The second was about marriages that had lasted a long time—advice from the couples, and biographical information.  They had a small room, which was supposed to be a children’s gallery.  It just had more pictures and paragraphs.  We were the only visitors at the museum.  It didn’t have anything engaging for kids or adults. 
   I did learn more about the history of Juneteenth.  I knew it was celebrated in California.  But, it actually celebrates the day that Texans learned that blacks were emancipated, June 19.  They were officially freed in April, but it wasn’t until two months later that Texans found out.  We’ve been to other museums that celebrate Black history, and the Underground Railroad Museum is by far the best.  This museum would be the worst we’ve visited.
   We dodged rain all day.  At times it was hard rain.  More is predicted for tomorrow and Saturday.  Most of the places I planned to visit in Austin are outdoors, so we’re praying for the rain to go away—far away.  Rain is not part of my itinerary.
Stayed at Oak Forest RV—FHU, 50 amps, posted price is $44/night, discounts of 10%-50%--we combined our Passport America (50% one night) with our AARP (30% for two nights) and paid $82
Temperature: 72° and rainy
Miles Traveled: 0
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
I hope you made it to Pedernales Falls. 

It was so neat to stand in the closet window this morning and watch two Indigo Buntings sit on the the feeder.  Yesterday Judy watched one in the bird bath have a ball.

Pictures on their way.

Jim, I'm torn about our schedule.  I really want to go to Pedernales Falls. I tried calling them this a.m., but their phone is only answered M-F.  Do you have a number other than 800-792-1112.  It said on their website that they have a feeding area that they stock.  Is it handicapped-accessible?  I'd love to see the indigo buntings.  The problem is we are already 1 day behind, and Dean has added 2 extra days--one to check out interior shades in McKinney and another to have Freightliner check the undercarriage of the RV in Dallas.  Freightliner has an RV center there, whereas the one in Austin specializes in big trucks. 

I am so looking forward to your pics!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
Hi Linda and Dean --

Just a note to let you know how much we are enjoying reading about your Texas Birding adventure!

We're still planning to hit the road heading West the first week in May.  Perhaps our paths will cross again this year.

Stay well!

Don and Mary Ann
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
DAY 35—APRIL 16—AUSTIN
   We got a late start because we had planning and business to do in the a.m.  It was really overcast, but I had picked up the most beautiful wildflower pamphlet at the Capitol Visitors Center, and I wanted to go to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center ($7/each/senior price).  This is their peak month, and I had high expectations.  It was good, but not great.  We had seen such bright intense colors in the mass, densely packed wildflowers growing wild in fields by the side of the road.  LBJWC had many sample plantings, but they weren’t large, so they weren’t as spectacular as those we’ve seen before.  There were signs labeling the plants, but it was hard to figure out what sign went with what plant.  There were metal sculptures throughout.  We got there about 1:30, and we wanted to get on the paths before the rain started, so we skipped the VC, thinking we’d see it later.  We ate at their Wildflower Café, and my poblano and portabella wrap was delicious.  Dean enjoyed his tuna sandwich.  I asked a couple lunching near us if they knew about Austin venues because we are going to have to skip several places and I wanted to go to the best places.  They are future RVers, so we told them about RV Forum and how helpful the site had been for us.  We dallied too long!  The VC closed at 4:00.  We got there at 4:00!  We had only popped in there to go a trail map, but they had beautiful exhibits, probably the best part of the trip.  They had all these little vases with labels, beautifully displayed.  It drizzled the whole time we were there.
   I had made notes about places that stayed open late, so we headed to the Zilker Botanical Garden, which is open until 7.  It was very pretty and had an Oriental garden, a rose garden where a wedding was being held, a cactus garden, an herb garden, and a vegetable garden.  There were explanatory signs in front of some plants and trees.  By this time it was sprinkling.
   One-and-a-half million bats fly out from under the Ann Richards Congress Avenue Bridge shortly after dusk each night.  We drove around looking for a place to park.  The TGI Fridays in the Radisson Hotel has a patio I spotted and that I think you could see the bats fly from, so since it was after 7:00, we decided to have dinner there.  The parking structure was open only to hotel guests, so we went over to the Austin-American parking lot we had learned of while at the Capitol VC. It is posted as TOW-AWAY AT ALL TIMES—24 HOURS—but the VC had said they agreed not to tow the bat-watchers. We checked with locals who were parked there, and they said it wasn’t any problem.  We parked in the middle so that they’d tow others before they got to us, and we were so close to our car that we could have escaped.  There was a bird bringing food to baby birds in a nest right in front of our car.  By this time, it was raining.  The lady at the VC said that the bats don’t fly when it rains, but the locals say they do.  Even with an umbrella, we would be drenched by if we had to wait outside for long, and there was no shelter, so we decided to try again tomorrow night.
   We needed to shop, so we went to Costco and HEB, a new store for us, but one we like.  We were too late to go to Best Buy, but we’re going to buy a new disc for our camera.  We can see the pictures we’ve taken, but we can’t seem to download them from the camera. 

Does anyone know a good RV camp in Dallas?  So far, the closest I’ve found is Plantation, 15 miles away from downtown Dallas.

Temperature: 75°, gloomy, drizzly, rainy
Stayed at Oak Forest RV/$82 for 3 nights
Miles Traveled: 0
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »
Direct number is 830-868-7304

Tell Dean you can buy shades some other time.

We did the bird banding thing this morning.  Those birds are incredibly small and beautiful in your hand.  Have you ever held a hummingbird and felt its heart beating....wow.

Sorry...they have a marvelous birding station at Pedernales Falls.  An yes, it is handicap accessible.  You park and its maybe 150 feet to the viewing area.  If you don't stay the night, please go check this place out.  Birds to expect would be various warblers including the golden cheeked warbler, scrub jay, bewick's wren, indigo, ladderback woodpecker, scarlet tanager,summer tanager, cardinals, the finches may still be there (the lesser finch is awesome), orchard oriole, American kestrel, black chinned hummer, golden front woodpecker, several sparrows and various hawks.  Maybe's...northern and spotted towee. 

They have a host couple usually there that will help you if you need it with identification of any bird.

Safe travels and continue to enjoy the Lone Star State.
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
I'm sorry Linda that I didn't finish your last post before getting gun-ho on Pedernales State Park.

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.  My gosh, did I say that?  Don't ever tell Judy or I'll end up doing more "browsing" than required. Its about half way between Dallas and Fort Worth and on you way to McKinney so Dean can check out the blasted shades.  I'm joking...

Next time y'all come to Texas, give me a couple days and I'll plan your trip.  This short notice stuff is harder.  I've enjoyed getting to know you through both this forum and our e mails.

Here's the link...   http://www.vineyardscampground.com/

We're headed to the bird sanctuary...just heard there are two pairs of painted buntings at the water.  If I get a picture I'll e mail.  Later...
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »
I'm sorry Linda that I didn't finish your last post before getting gun-ho on Pedernales State Park.

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.

I made reservations to stay there for a week.  Thanks again!  They only could give us 4 nights--until Thurs., but they assure us that they'll work out something for the weekend.  Currently, they are 100% booked, so they must be good.  As for Pedernales SP, we are trying to get an extra night here so we can go there today as a day trip.  Your awesome pictures convinced me.  I hate traveling a long way/day for 2 or 3 days, and I may have to do that, but I can't pass up those birds.  You should post a couple of your amazing pictures.  I'm sure others would like to see them, too.  I'm not able to post pictures, now, and they're used to visuals to go with the words.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.  My gosh, did I say that?  Don't ever tell Judy or I'll end up doing more "browsing" than required. Its about half way between Dallas and Fort Worth and on you way to McKinney so Dean can check out the blasted shades.  I'm joking...

Next time y'all come to Texas, give me a couple days and I'll plan your trip.  This short notice stuff is harder.  I've enjoyed getting to know you through both this forum and our e mails.

We're headed to the bird sanctuary...just heard there are two pairs of painted buntings at the water.  If I get a picture I'll e mail.  Later...
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »

I'll take you up on the offer to be our travel agent in Texas.  We love it here, and we'll be back!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

elkhartjim

• ---
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »
I've searched high and low for "how to post photos" and can't find anything in help.  I'm sure I'm missing something!
Jim & Judy
38' Bounder DP
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Hosted by Over The Network