Texas With the Stocks - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're having so much fun they've forgotten all about those of us sitting in our stick house and who got snowed on this morning !!

Wendy

Their ain't no movie houses where they were heading to last.  Unless you have one of them thar sateeelite thingys...you're not even gonna find out the world has been destroyed to you realize you don't have no air to breath.  Linda, Deanlet us hear from you.  I can get my sherriiif buddy to come a looking fer you if'in need be.

BTW...the orchard and the baltimore oriole showed up today in the yard.

elkhartjim said:
Their ain't no movie houses where they were heading to last.  Unless you have one of them thar sateeelite thingys...you're not even gonna find out the world has been destroyed to you realize you don't have no air to breath.  Linda, Deanlet us hear from you.  I can get my sherriiif buddy to come a looking fer you if'in need be.

BTW...the orchard and the baltimore oriole showed up today in the yard.

Jim, Terry, and Wendy,

We're glad to be back--even happier than you noticed we were gone.  We've been having some electronics problems--either iPhoto, the computer, the camera--one or more of those electronics things.  Dean has spent many hours working on it, found one error and corrected it, but we still had problems and things weren't working.  We kept on truckin'.  Then, magically, Santa sent an elf during the night, and when I opened up Safari this a.m., it had a message that said just to press YES, and I did, and I think (hope) all is well.

We had an exciting day today punctuated with a BLOWOUT on the RV!  Dean is out hooking up the toad (we went out to dinner), and we just got back.  It's currently 10:30 and Dean has been yawning for a couple of hours, so I don't know if we'll get much posted tonight.  They are all written, just need to be posted.

Thanks to all of you for caring!  Terry, I wish we had been at the movies.  In the movies all the problems get solved; hopefully, all of ours are, too.  Tomorrow we go to Freightliner to see if we have any damage from when the tire went BOOM!
Linda

DAY 29?APRIL 10?Houston
Last night we extended our stay here because we hadn?t been to Anahuac NP yet.  It rained off and on all morning, so we cancelled our trip.  We went to see ?Date Night? at AMC 24 in nearby Willowbrook Mall and shopped. 
Miles Traveled:  0
Temperature:  75?
Stayed at Traders? Village

DAY 30?APRIL 11?WINNIE
We went to High Island and visited the Audubon sites.  We heard the Carolina wrens singing all the time we were there, and finally we spotted one on top of a pole (Picture 1).  We caught a glimpse of a green heron as he flew into the brush.  Other than that, even the birders with the huge lenses on their cameras and spotting scopes said it was ?quiet?.  They said that yesterday it was brimming with birds.
We drove out to the rookery.  The great egrets and roseate spoonbills share the same nesting areas.
We drove out to Anahuac NWR.  They were all excited because there was a ruff (?sp) out there.  People were standing on top of trucks to be able to see it over the reeds and understory.  We weren?t willing to risk life and limb to see a bird, so we quietly moved on by.  We were treated to a scarlet tanager.  Dean got several pictures, and we hope to eventually retrieve them.  He was bright red and gorgeous!  He just sat there posing for us to take his photo.
We have heard the splashes of alligators, but today we spotted 3 of them in streams or on the banks.  We saw several fishermen.  No way you?d find me fishing in ?gater country.
Stayed at Winnie RV, FHU, 50 AMPS
Miles Traveled:  61
Temperature: 80?

Attachments

• IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    IMG_3520.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 12
DAY 31?APRIL 12?WILLIS
We went to the Big Thicket National Preserve Visitor?s Center.  They had a nice display, including one fat crawdad (crayfish).  They had learned the same way that I did when I was teaching that they eat each other.  Try teaching a math lesson while one crawdad is consuming another!  They had good samples, dioramas, and explanations of the flora and fauna in the preserve.  I learned a lot.
  We drove out to the trails.  The trails meandered through a mixture of hardwoods and pines, then bald cypress swamps.  On the Sundew-Hickory Trail we saw lots of pitcher plants, which emit a sweet smell which attracts insects to them.  The insects land on them and slide down their slippery ?throat? where they then land in a pool of digestive juices.  We took pictures, but they have not been retrieved.  Maybe Santa?s elves  will come tonight and bring them back. 
We went out to the second site, Pitcher Plant Trail, and they were doing prescribed burning.  Unfortunately, they had told the Visitors? Center that it would be done tomorrow.
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park, FHU, 50 AMPS, on a large pond with ducks, beautiful site, excellently maintained
Miles Traveled:  140
Temperature: 82?
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park

I'm glad that your'e OK after the B/O, did you have a spare, or did you have to wait hours for a tire to be located?
J

34footer said:
I'm glad that your'e OK after the B/O, did you have a spare, or did you have to wait hours for a tire to be located?
J

We don't carry a spare.  It's just too big.  I wish I'd timed it, but I think we waited about an hour.  Of course, it seemed longer because I was nervous as the big trucks swished by.  The Goodyear man came from Giddings.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
I loved Omega Farms; it is extremely well run and in a beautiful site.  However, next time I'd stay at Cagle; you can't beat Mother Nature.  You live in Paradise!

I tried to tell you about Cagle.  Did you get to see the red cockaded woodpecker?

Glad to have you back online. And I notice that you did go to the movies one night :)

Keep on posting.
Wendy

Wendy said:
Glad to have you back online. And I notice that you did go to the movies one night :)

Keep on posting.
Wendy

There may be more movies as it has rained all day today, and it is projected to do it for the other 2 days we're here.  We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)

Dean & Linda Stock said:
We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)

We saw Avatar in 3D (really liked it). Also Alice in Wonderland in 3D (also really liked it). And last time we saw How to Train Your Dragon in 3D (really, really liked it). Saw Clash of the Titans (not in 3D, it was ok). Had a hard time finding a movie we both wanted to see last time we went to the movies. There's always Blockbuster or the Red Box rental thingies....looks like they have some good stuff. I usually end up getting into my DVD stash and watching some of the classics.

Wendy

Dean & Linda Stock said:
There may be more movies as it has rained all day today, and it is projected to do it for the other 2 days we're here.  We actually did call a movie theatre, but there wasn't anything that we wanted to see.  Do you have any recommendations?  Maybe I can become a movie critic!:)

Where is here?

DAY 32?APRIL 13?WILLIS
We enjoyed seeing the ducks fly into our pond, and one egret stopped by briefly.  We also have one wild, semi-resident goose.  When we went to the dumpster, I saw the first bluebird I?ve ever seen.
We went to the Sam Houston National Forest, and we got lost.  Our GPS didn?t have it?either through phone number, address, or ?camping?.  We had Mapquest directions, which were totally wrong and took us through many miles of beautiful country and forest.  We finally came to a small town, called SHNF, told them where we were, and they gave us great directions.
SHNF is a gorgeous pine forest.  None of the trails were accessible for me, but it was beautiful.  The campgrounds are picturesque, and we will come back to spend some ?down time?, just relaxing, sitting under the trees reading.  We stopped and talked to people who were camped at the NF campground known as Cagle .  It is only $10/night with FHU, 50 amps.  We also learned about Passport America from these people, and we have joined them.  We will save the cost of an annual membership, $44, at our next stop in Austin, which is a member of Passport America.   
Miles Traveled:  0
Temperature: 85?
Stayed at Omega Farms RV Park

DAY 33?APRIL 14?AUSTIN
What a day!  I was hoping to be in Austin early enough to go see something.  The best laid plans?..  We saw gorgeous wildflowers along the whole drive.  We went by huge fields of blue, then yellow, then bright pink.  The bluebonnets are winning me over.  Their blue is becoming much deeper.  Either they are getting more dense or they become bluer with age.  The first ones we saw were a pale blue.  The bright yellows are still my favorites, though they are all spectacular.  Most of the route was through small towns followed by farms. 
It seemed it was taking forever to get to Austin; we were still 35 miles away. I was beginning to think it was a little boring.  I started to doze off when there was a boom and an earthquake inside the coach.  I?d never had a blowout before, even in a car, but I knew right away what it was.  Dean set it down pretty quickly on the side of the highway. 
I cancelled our 4-day RV camp reservation in anticipation of having to be towed. I thought it was too dangerous to change the tire since we were so close to the traffic. 
We were fortunate to have a good road assistance program through Thor, and the Goodyear man showed up within an hour.  He performed his magic and Dean had him play Musical Tires (an adaptation of Musical Chairs)?something about having the same kind of tread on the same side.
By the time we got underway again, it was 6:00, well past the time the RV camp closed.  I called ahead to Wal-Mart and talked with the manager, who gave us the OK.  We are the only ones here.  The security guard came over right away to tell us we couldn?t stay, and I told him that the manager had given us permission. We?ll go over to the RV camp tomorrow morning.
It was quite late, but I wanted to do something on my Things to See List.  We went to Abuelo?s Restaurant, which had received rave reviews.  We both really liked our meals, and they were reasonably priced.  Their flan is tied for first place; I?m a flan fan. The restaurant is  pretty, too, and the service was great.  They are in a shopping center near downtown.
Miles Traveled:
Temperature: 80?, with sprinkles
Stayed at Wal-mart

Their flan is tied for first place; I?m a flan fan.

So am I!  Jerry's mother and I ate our way across Spain - Flan and Gazpacho.  YUM!!!

ArdraF

I hope you made it to Pedernales Falls. 

It was so neat to stand in the closet window this morning and watch two Indigo Buntings sit on the the feeder.  Yesterday Judy watched one in the bird bath have a ball.

We left about 10 for Quintana for the Migration Celebration.  We went over about 3 and walked the bird sanctuary.  They are just now starting to arrive.  Oh my!  First thing was a Indigo Bunting but of course we saw him this morning at home.  Blue jays, grackles, brown headed cowbirds in abundance. Next was the Yellow warbler, the black and white warbler, the yellow billed cuckoo, the female and male orchard oriole, blue grosbeak, rose breasted grosbeak and finally the painted bunting came for water.

In the morning we are going for the bird banding.

Have I told you that I'm a S.O.B.?  Spouse of a birder.  But I'm learning. 

Pictures on their way.

Safe travels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom