Texas With the Stocks - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DAY 34?APRIL 15?AUSTIN
We have so many places we want to visit, and rain wasn?t going to keep us home.  We went to the Capitol first.  We went on a short, but interesting tour.  They have a huge rotunda that is 218? high, 14? higher than the U. S. Capitol.  Louisiana recently rebuilt their capitol with a tall tower, so Texas lost its reputation as the highest capitol, though it is still the largest.  They are very proud of being big; in fact they say they will be the biggest state again when the ice in Alaska melts!  We took pictures, but we?re still having problems, so we don?t know when, or if, we will ever get them into the Photo Gallery.
They had two impressive statues, one of which was of Sam Houston, the first governor.  He had two nicknames, ?The Raven? and ?Big Drunk?.  He lived with the Indians twice, once when he was younger, and then again after the loss of his wife.  He was a busy guy?the only person to be governor of two states, Texas and Tennessee, and he was Texas?s first U. S. senator.  Texas has had 6 flags?Spanish, French, Mexican, Republic of Texas, U. S., and Confederacy.  They were pictured in marble in the foyer, and were very pretty.  The Civil War ended in 1865, but Texas didn?t rejoin the U. S. until 1870.  The Democrats allowed the Republican candidate, Hayes, to win if they would quit occupying the south?talk about the granddaddy of backroom deals!  They had all the governors? portraits, but the one that intrigued me was Miriam Ferguson who was the governor from 1925-1927, after her husband was impeached.  He didn?t want the University of Texas teaching about evolution, and the academics were powerful enough to get him impeached, despite his great popularity.  Miriam ran on the slogan of ?2 governors for the price of one.?  They were called ?Ma? and ?Pa? Ferguson.  She tried to pardon him, so she lost the next election, but she was re-elected in 1933 for two more years.  Texas had the first woman governor, less than a decade after women got the right to vote.
We then went to the Visitors? Center, which had discount coupons, a great map, and lots of good information.
I was so looking forward to the George Washington Carver Museum, but Dean wasn?t.  One of my students did a report on him, and I learned that he was a fascinating, multi-talented man.  What a waste!  Of our time and the city of Austin?s money.  It was a beautiful building, but inside was just one small glass case with a bit of Carver?s history.  There were 2 galleries.  One was devoted to blacks who had made achievements, just their pictures and a paragraph about their accomplishments.  The second was about marriages that had lasted a long time?advice from the couples, and biographical information.  They had a small room, which was supposed to be a children?s gallery.  It just had more pictures and paragraphs.  We were the only visitors at the museum.  It didn?t have anything engaging for kids or adults. 
I did learn more about the history of Juneteenth.  I knew it was celebrated in California.  But, it actually celebrates the day that Texans learned that blacks were emancipated, June 19.  They were officially freed in April, but it wasn?t until two months later that Texans found out.  We?ve been to other museums that celebrate Black history, and the Underground Railroad Museum is by far the best.  This museum would be the worst we?ve visited.
We dodged rain all day.  At times it was hard rain.  More is predicted for tomorrow and Saturday.  Most of the places I planned to visit in Austin are outdoors, so we?re praying for the rain to go away?far away.  Rain is not part of my itinerary.
Stayed at Oak Forest RV?FHU, 50 amps, posted price is $44/night, discounts of 10%-50%--we combined our Passport America (50% one night) with our AARP (30% for two nights) and paid $82
Temperature: 72? and rainy
Miles Traveled: 0

elkhartjim said:
I hope you made it to Pedernales Falls. 

It was so neat to stand in the closet window this morning and watch two Indigo Buntings sit on the the feeder.  Yesterday Judy watched one in the bird bath have a ball.

Pictures on their way.

Jim, I'm torn about our schedule.  I really want to go to Pedernales Falls. I tried calling them this a.m., but their phone is only answered M-F.  Do you have a number other than 800-792-1112.  It said on their website that they have a feeding area that they stock.  Is it handicapped-accessible?  I'd love to see the indigo buntings.  The problem is we are already 1 day behind, and Dean has added 2 extra days--one to check out interior shades in McKinney and another to have Freightliner check the undercarriage of the RV in Dallas.  Freightliner has an RV center there, whereas the one in Austin specializes in big trucks. 

I am so looking forward to your pics!

Hi Linda and Dean --

Just a note to let you know how much we are enjoying reading about your Texas Birding adventure!

We're still planning to hit the road heading West the first week in May.  Perhaps our paths will cross again this year.

Stay well!

Don and Mary Ann

DAY 35?APRIL 16?AUSTIN
We got a late start because we had planning and business to do in the a.m.  It was really overcast, but I had picked up the most beautiful wildflower pamphlet at the Capitol Visitors Center, and I wanted to go to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center ($7/each/senior price).  This is their peak month, and I had high expectations.  It was good, but not great.  We had seen such bright intense colors in the mass, densely packed wildflowers growing wild in fields by the side of the road.  LBJWC had many sample plantings, but they weren?t large, so they weren?t as spectacular as those we?ve seen before.  There were signs labeling the plants, but it was hard to figure out what sign went with what plant.  There were metal sculptures throughout.  We got there about 1:30, and we wanted to get on the paths before the rain started, so we skipped the VC, thinking we?d see it later.  We ate at their Wildflower Caf?, and my poblano and portabella wrap was delicious.  Dean enjoyed his tuna sandwich.  I asked a couple lunching near us if they knew about Austin venues because we are going to have to skip several places and I wanted to go to the best places.  They are future RVers, so we told them about RV Forum and how helpful the site had been for us.  We dallied too long!  The VC closed at 4:00.  We got there at 4:00!  We had only popped in there to go a trail map, but they had beautiful exhibits, probably the best part of the trip.  They had all these little vases with labels, beautifully displayed.  It drizzled the whole time we were there.
I had made notes about places that stayed open late, so we headed to the Zilker Botanical Garden, which is open until 7.  It was very pretty and had an Oriental garden, a rose garden where a wedding was being held, a cactus garden, an herb garden, and a vegetable garden.  There were explanatory signs in front of some plants and trees.  By this time it was sprinkling.
One-and-a-half million bats fly out from under the Ann Richards Congress Avenue Bridge shortly after dusk each night.  We drove around looking for a place to park.  The TGI Fridays in the Radisson Hotel has a patio I spotted and that I think you could see the bats fly from, so since it was after 7:00, we decided to have dinner there.  The parking structure was open only to hotel guests, so we went over to the Austin-American parking lot we had learned of while at the Capitol VC. It is posted as TOW-AWAY AT ALL TIMES?24 HOURS?but the VC had said they agreed not to tow the bat-watchers. We checked with locals who were parked there, and they said it wasn?t any problem.  We parked in the middle so that they?d tow others before they got to us, and we were so close to our car that we could have escaped.  There was a bird bringing food to baby birds in a nest right in front of our car.  By this time, it was raining.  The lady at the VC said that the bats don?t fly when it rains, but the locals say they do.  Even with an umbrella, we would be drenched by if we had to wait outside for long, and there was no shelter, so we decided to try again tomorrow night.
We needed to shop, so we went to Costco and HEB, a new store for us, but one we like.  We were too late to go to Best Buy, but we?re going to buy a new disc for our camera.  We can see the pictures we?ve taken, but we can?t seem to download them from the camera. 

Does anyone know a good RV camp in Dallas?  So far, the closest I?ve found is Plantation, 15 miles away from downtown Dallas.

Temperature: 75?, gloomy, drizzly, rainy
Stayed at Oak Forest RV/$82 for 3 nights

Direct number is 830-868-7304

Tell Dean you can buy shades some other time.

We did the bird banding thing this morning.  Those birds are incredibly small and beautiful in your hand.  Have you ever held a hummingbird and felt its heart beating....wow.

Sorry...they have a marvelous birding station at Pedernales Falls.  An yes, it is handicap accessible.  You park and its maybe 150 feet to the viewing area.  If you don't stay the night, please go check this place out.  Birds to expect would be various warblers including the golden cheeked warbler, scrub jay, bewick's wren, indigo, ladderback woodpecker, scarlet tanager,summer tanager, cardinals, the finches may still be there (the lesser finch is awesome), orchard oriole, American kestrel, black chinned hummer, golden front woodpecker, several sparrows and various hawks.  Maybe's...northern and spotted towee. 

They have a host couple usually there that will help you if you need it with identification of any bird.

Safe travels and continue to enjoy the Lone Star State.

I'm sorry Linda that I didn't finish your last post before getting gun-ho on Pedernales State Park.

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.  My gosh, did I say that?  Don't ever tell Judy or I'll end up doing more "browsing" than required. Its about half way between Dallas and Fort Worth and on you way to McKinney so Dean can check out the blasted shades.  I'm joking...

Next time y'all come to Texas, give me a couple days and I'll plan your trip.  This short notice stuff is harder.  I've enjoyed getting to know you through both this forum and our e mails.

Here's the link...  http://www.vineyardscampground.com/

We're headed to the bird sanctuary...just heard there are two pairs of painted buntings at the water.  If I get a picture I'll e mail.  Later...

elkhartjim said:
I'm sorry Linda that I didn't finish your last post before getting gun-ho on Pedernales State Park.

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.

I made reservations to stay there for a week.  Thanks again!  They only could give us 4 nights--until Thurs., but they assure us that they'll work out something for the weekend.  Currently, they are 100% booked, so they must be good.  As for Pedernales SP, we are trying to get an extra night here so we can go there today as a day trip.  Your awesome pictures convinced me.  I hate traveling a long way/day for 2 or 3 days, and I may have to do that, but I can't pass up those birds.  You should post a couple of your amazing pictures.  I'm sure others would like to see them, too.  I'm not able to post pictures, now, and they're used to visuals to go with the words.

elkhartjim said:

How close to Dallas do you want to be?  We love this campground and the town of Grapevine is a great place to spend a few hours browsing the shops.  My gosh, did I say that?  Don't ever tell Judy or I'll end up doing more "browsing" than required. Its about half way between Dallas and Fort Worth and on you way to McKinney so Dean can check out the blasted shades.  I'm joking...

Next time y'all come to Texas, give me a couple days and I'll plan your trip.  This short notice stuff is harder.  I've enjoyed getting to know you through both this forum and our e mails.

We're headed to the bird sanctuary...just heard there are two pairs of painted buntings at the water.  If I get a picture I'll e mail.  Later...

I've searched high and low for "how to post photos" and can't find anything in help.  I'm sure I'm missing something!

When you're in the "post reply" window, you'll see under the box where you're typing your reply a link called "Additional Options" - click that and an "Attach" box will show up where you put your pictures.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy and Tom.  I spent about 20 minutes in help and came up helpless. 

I see this explanation in the Help file, but didn't realize it was so vague. When we moved to the new software earlier this year, I eliminated our own detailed help file, thinking the one published by the software developers would be better. Maybe I need to rethink that.

DAY 36?APRIL 17?AUSTIN

We woke up to rain, rain, and hard rain.  We had the volume on the TV turned up the highest we?ve ever had it because the rain was pounding on the roof of the RV so hard.  Texas even rains BIG!  So, we settled into a Housekeeping & Laundry Day.
A little after noon, the rain stopped, and it looked like the sun was trying to break through, so we switched gears, hopped in the car, and went into downtown to the Bullock State History Museum.  It was excellent.  We paid $12 for Dean and $14 for me.  We got combination pickets?museum admission, IMAX Theatre, and the Spirit of Texas film. 
The museum was organized chronologically from 12,000 years ago to present day.  There were recreations, realia, interactive exhibits, and it was all well-labeled.  The multi-sensory 20-minute Spirit of Texas film was a great overview of Texas?s history.
The IMAX film on Hubble was filmed on a space voyage to repair the Hubble, in the Space Center in Houston, and in Florida.  I was amazed to learn that there are 100 BILLION solar systems, and our own Milky Way is not even a particularly large one.  We saw real Hubble pictures of a ?nursery? of solar systems.  Absolutely incredible!
It was raining when we left the museum.  We stopped at Best Buy to get a new disc for our camera and hopefully resolve our issues.  They didn?t have one.  While I waited in the car, the skies opened up, and I was treated to a lightning and thunder show.  When we entered the freeway, the rain was so hard that despite excellent drainage, we sloshed down the road.  We had our windshield wipers on maximum, and there was no much water on the windshield that it was hard to see.  Dean, who has a lead foot usually, was in the right lane doing only 40 mph.  When we arrived at the RV park, it was as if God said, ?Turn it off?, and the rain stopped.  How nice! 
Then the rain resumed.  Sherlock (cat) became so frightened he went behind the gas pedal into the dashboard area.  We couldn?t find him anywhere, and he wouldn?t even come out food?he loves eating!  Dean & I were in panic mode for about 15 minutes, at which time Sherlock appeared.  The rain was so hard that we couldn?t get reception from our Motosat.  Rain, rain, GO AWAY!
We continue to be impressed by how nice Texans are.  It?s like consideration of others is part of the culture.

Temperature: 75?, rain and cloudbursts, lightning, thunder
Stayed at Oak Forest RV

DAY 37?APRIL 18?AUSTIN
Last night after the RV camp?s office closed, we decided to take Jim?s advice and go to Pedernales SP.  Oak Forest has a 1:00 check-out time, which sounded great when we checked in.  But, we wanted to extend a day and the office didn?t open until 1:00, so we had some butterflies about going over an hour away without knowing if it was OK.  When we called at 1:00, it turned out that it was fine.
When we were at Lady Bird?s Wildflower Farm, we met a couple from Texas who raved about the Blue Bonnet Caf? in Marble Falls, which wasn?t too far out of the way.  I read on-line that it was rated the #1 breakfast place in all Texas and was also famous for great pies.  We skipped breakfast here and hit the road.  When we got to the Blue Bonnet, we could see that others knew about it, too.  The line extended forever, so we decided to try for take-out.  We didn?t want to waste any time in case we had to scurry an hour plus back to the RV.  Dean got us hamburgers, which were very good, and coconut pie, which was excellent.
Jim was so right to laud the virtues of Pedernales (pronounced Perdenales because LBJ mispronounced it and everyone copied him) State Park. They have 2 wonderful blinds with windows that open so you can photograph through them. We saw the house sparrow (English sparrow), Carolina chickadee, lots of house finches, the Western Scrub Jay, the Northern mockingbird, the brown-headed cowbird, the ladderback woodpecker, the chipping sparrow, the white-throated sparrows, a beautiful pair of cardinals, and a cotton rat (he liked birdseed, too!). 
We learned from the two park volunteers that are usually at the blinds to point out birds and identify them that the brown-headed cowbird lays 86 eggs each year in other birds nests.  They leave them unattended and move on to another bird?s nest, where they lay some more, etc.  When the eggs hatch, they eat the songbirds? babies.  The cowbird has proliferated to such a degree as habitat has shrunk that killing them is encouraged.  They are really hurting the blue jay population, as well as songbirds in general.  It used to be that there were so many trees that they didn?t have to compete for space, but each year we lose more habitat. 
We saw lots of hummingbirds?mostly black-chinned, but also some ruby-throated.  Dean got an excellent picture of the ruby ?flashing?, showing his red sparkling throat.
There were lots of lesser goldfinches, and the male?s body is such a brilliant yellow as contrasted with his black head and dark back.
  I got three quick glimpses of an Eastern towhee.  Even if we couldn?t get a picture, I?d love a better look so I could admire him.  I thought he was quite striking.
We were told that today was a ?very light? (not many birds) day because it has been rain and cold.  Last year the painted and indigo buntings came April 12, but they haven?t come in yet this year.  They are eagerly hoping that they will return. 
We thought it was a wonderful day!  We saw a lot of different kinds of birds, and we learned a lot about them.  Those volunteers were amazing!  We also met a lady from Fort Worth who told us about places on our schedule so we could delete the duds.

Weather: 71? with light clouds, but NO RAIN
Stayed at Oak Forest RV

Great news Linda on Pedernales.  We are about 200 miles south of you and boy did the indigos show up yesterday.  Linda, there were litterly 100's of them.  Y'all slow down and they will catch you. The warblers are arriving daily in large flocks.  I will send you a picture of me standing with my hand within 18 inches of a rose breasted grosbeak.  He was so busy eating an orange that he didn't care I was there.

Safe travels....

DAY 38?APRIL 19?GRAPEVINE
We got out early because we knew that the miles would go slowly today.  We passed through many small towns and downtowns, so our average speed was lower than average.  I just wanted to get to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center so we would have lots of time there before it closed. 
Before we left home in February, I had called Fossil Rim several times with no answer to questions, so I called the Glen Rose Visitors? Center.  They told me that we would not be able to drive the RV through the wildlife center, and they suggested we unhook at the Brookshire grocery store or the city-owned RV park.  I should have verified that information when I called this morning to get their closing time, but I didn?t. 
We drove the Jeep back a few miles to Fossil Rim and discovered that their parking lot does accommodate RVs.  We would have needed to unhook, but we could have saved those extra miles.  Dean went inside and bought two senior admissions @ $17 each.  I also asked him to buy a bag of animal food @ $7.50 because the animals come close to the car if you throw out food.
We were greeted by blackbucks leaping in the air and running.  The males were definitely interested in the females?even the juveniles.  The boys chased, and the girls always outraced them.  But they persisted and were so determined!
As we came upon other animal groupings, we could see courting behavior often.
There were many African animals in large green unfenced pastures.  The whole drive through was 9 miles long.  The highlight for me was sticking my hand out the window (this is the only animal they say it is OK to hand-feed) and feeling the soft giraffe?s muzzle as he ate from my hand on 4 different occasions.  We saw 25 different kinds of large animals.  Almost all of the animals had babies with them and seemed very contented. 
We fed a mom and baby zebra duo.  I had to close the window quickly as another zebra came up and nibbled on Dean?s side mirror.  The ostriches were also very insistent as they pecked on the windows and door handles.  I was amazed to learn that their brains are smaller than their eyes!
This was a wonderful experience, and I would highly recommend it to everyone.  The Center is a non-profit, and it has many programs to help those animals that are endangered breed.  They also donate to other zoos and habitat restoration organizations.  The volunteer working in the gift shop had broken a rib 9 days ago and was working through her pain because they needed her.
We got into the campground well after 7:00, but it was light enough that we could see its beauty.  Situated on a large lake with a marina and ducks, the campground has many trees.  However, they are trimmed well so we have perfect TV and Internet reception.  We also have beautiful mallards who are enjoying ?treats? from RVers.  What a wonderful day!

MILES TRAVELED: 160 + 85 = 245
Stayed at The Vineyards Campground on Lake Grapevine, $25.60 with the 20% discount coupon that I got off their website?Water and electric only? Sewer hook-up is $10/night extra  This is one of the nicest campgrounds we?ve ever stayed at.
Weather: Mid-70?s, partially cloudy

Linda,

Never heard of Fossil Rim before but it sounds neat.  I LOVE giraffes and am envious that you actually got to feed one.  I love the way they look down at you through those gorgeous long eyelashes.  Hmmm - so the ostrich brain is really small.  Now I know why they're so stupid!  We drove through a similar wildlife park once and the ostriches (or maybe emus) constantly pecked at the window either wanting to be fed or thinking it would feed them.  That reminds me, the same place had a baby elephant that was so cute.  He came up to the car and put his trunk against the window.  I didn't want to wash the window because his trunk print was there.  ;D

ArdraF

I'm glad The Vineyards was beyond your expectations. 

I don't know how long you will be there but they have a old movie theater they've converted for stage plays, etc.  Its on the main street in downtown Grapevine.  Check the schedule that will be posted and if I remember correctly the chamber of commerce or visitor center is across the street to purchase tickets.  There are several vineyards in the area with tours and tasting also.

If you're so inclined, there are some horse farms north of Dallas in the Denton area.  These farms raise show quality horses.  I have a friend whose son is a vet and all he does is inseminate mares from the standing stallions at over $20,000 a pop.  Some stud fee. They offer tours.

I hope the mh checked out okay at Freightliner.

Continue to enjoy our great state.

Back
Top Bottom