Zion, Bryce & Grand Canyon....best places to stay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bikeswimlaugh

Hey gang....

My wife and I are planning our first outting with our new RV....we're going to stay one night at Circus-Circus at Las Vegas...but then we're heading up to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, some place in Paige to do some river-rafting, then down to the Grand Canyon and a few other places before we head back to L.A.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which parks are best...or which ones to avoid? We will not be towing a toad, so transportation once in the area will be important...because we are going with anothr family, we may just rent a van to get us all around.

Thanks

You did not mention what time of year you are planning on going. You did not mention what kind of rig you have and you did not mention if you want full hookups or not.

Zion. I would stay in the park at Watchman. It has Electric hookups. Near visitor center and transportation center for the bus through the park.

Bryce. IN the park campgrounds have no hook-up. If you want hookup stay at Ruby's Inn. Bus service available at either

Grand Canyon. North Rim.  Campground in the park (don't remember if it has hookups) NO bus service.
South Rim has two campgrounds in the park. One has RV hookups. Bus service in the park.

ken

Zion NP - Watchman campground - electric hookups with water close by, easy walk to the park shuttles

Page - There's a concessionnaire operated campground at Wahweap, just north of Page. If you like boondocking and beach camping, try Lone Rock, north of Wahweap. No transportation in the area other than your own.

Grand Canyon - north rim, no hookups but wonderful. South rim, Trailer Village has hookups but costs more and has less "ambiance" than Mather but Mather has no hookups and limits RV size. At most times of the year, you need reservations at any Grand Canyon campground. Either campground has easy access to the shuttle system.

All great places. Enjoy
Wendy

seilerbird said:
You did not mention what time of year you are planning on going. You did not mention what kind of rig you have and you did not mention if you want full hookups or not.

Early April
31-foot Class C
FHU not req'd but preferable....

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit concerned about snow potential, I've heard a few people comment on how cold and even snowy it can still be around April. We're planning on hitting Vegas (Circus-Circus) for one night, then Zion, Bryce, Paige (water rafting) and then down to the Grand Canyon & back to L.A.

I'm honestly a bit concerned now...this is our first trip, we're taking friends who are renting a similar size RV and we've only got reservations (at this point) at Vegas...things book-up fast and this is Spring Break for many schools. I'm feeling that worrisome feeling..........

I  understand  your worry but you will be fine.  Whenever you are with friends you will find a way to make it fun.  One thing about weather is that you can never plan for nor predict it.  It will be what it will be.  You are going to such wonderful places you will have  terifiic times no matter what! Don't worry , be happy.

You have already gotten some very good recommendations on campgrounds!

Betty

Page probably won't be bad weather-wise and there are commercial campgrounds there if you need hookups.

For Grand Canyon and Zion, you can check reserveamerica.com and see if there are spaces the time you want to be there. Go ahead and make reservations if you like. But if the campgrounds in the parks are full, there are commercial campgrounds just outside Grand Canyon that seldom fill and then usually in the middle of summer.

You are going to some of the most beautiful places in the country and you will have a wonderful time.

Wendy

The lack of a toad makes it difficult to recommend campgrounds outside of the NPs. You will have to keep breaking down to use the rig to see them. Perhaps someone else can help with it, but I don?t know where you would rent a vehicle around either Zion or Bryce. All the towns are pretty small.

Bauer?s Canyon Ranch in Glendale, UT is half way between Zion and Bryce. Nice mom and pop CG with FHU.

?Down to the Canyon?. Does that mean the south side or north side? There is a US Forest Service park called Demote which is about 10-12 miles from the north rim. Dry camping, but nice.

I assume that you plan on going thru Zion from off I-15? Altho, tour buses do travel it, Highway 9 is narrow and curvy. There is also a tunnel in the eastern part that you will have to pay to go thru. There aren?t many places to stop along side of the road in an RV.

As far as the weather, I suspect that it will at least be cold. Elevations are 5-9000 feet along your trip.

Forget the North rim...Road doesn't open until 5/15-5/19 at earliest, if there is snow it will open later. 

Back
Top Bottom