wiring lights and brakes on travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdavis1137

I purchased a 1995, 19 ft, Sandpiper by cobra travel trailer.  It has electric brakes and a 7 wire bundle that runs up to trailer hitch with a female connector.  My 2002 Chev 1500 Silverado pickup has a 6 wire bundle running to the back by the truck hitch. no connector on end of truck wire bundle.

I checked with a place that wanted $600 to wire the truck and trailer together with an electric brake controller in the truck cab with the necessary wiring, plugins, connectors, etc to have lights and electric brakes operated from the truck.  The place also stated there would be no need to mess with the truck braking system as it would just be an electrical hookup.  I would like to know if the $600 charge is excessive or if I should shop around and get other prices.  I can't do anything with my trailer till I get lights and brakes, so would really appreciate it, if someone has suggestions that they would email me direct at [email protected] and copy to forum to maybe help others in same situation.  Thanking you very much  if you can help me out.

P.S.  If any one knows where I can obtain a trailer manual, would really appreciate that information also.  The company went out of business in 1997, so no help there
John

The 7 prong plug is standard for most campers can't remember  off the top of my head what goes weer. You can spend lots of money of have some one else to do it for you or look around to see if they make an adopter or what I would do make a pig tail(the cable between camper and truck) that connects the two togher. Simpler that it sounds go to the place that sells the plugs you need they tell what wire goes wear and match the two by putting the right wire the right spot. Example White is most common a ground get both plugs and put it in the right place in both plugs, green is left turn, yellow is right, brown is tail light see what  am getting at. I might have yellow and green mixed up it has been a spell. :'( :eek: You can do this.

Back
Top Bottom