Buying Class C and can't see prior to purchase......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Mikeak,
I also plan on getting a new RV in the next two weeks. For whatever it's worth I will relate a few of my conclusions.
1) I looked and compared several manufacturers that had similar floor plans in the B+ class. The more I looked, the reputation and quality of the Winnebago made me decide on the Winnebago Aspect. It is slightly more expensive than some of the other manufacturers but it is easy for me to justify the difference.
2) I also compared several 2009 and 2010 Aspect models. I found that most dealers would discount 24% to 26% and maybe 2% more for a 2009 holdover.
3) By ordering from my local dealer, I pay for only the options I want, I get a 2010 model, and I am also getting a better discount than buying from another dealers inventory. It is also more convenient because he is local, and I'm hopeful that I will get better service from him.
4) Since the Outlook is in the same price class as the Aspect, I would expect the 25% discount range to be the same for both. I can understand though that the Alaska factor might make my discount comparisons meaningless.

Good Luck on your decision. I'm sure it will be the best one for you.

Jim

Jim -25% of msrp or compared to 2010?  I am seeing about 22% of from MSRP for a 2010. I am getting an additional 15% for a 2009

Mikeak-
I was talking 24 to 26 % off 2010 with only an additional 2% or so off of a 2009. That's why I decided the 2010 was a better deal. I called several dealers for their 2009 and if they would have given 37% off I'm sure I would have jumped at it. Sound like you are getting an exceptional deal compared to what I could find. Is this deal with your local dealer or are you buying in the lower 48?
Great Deal, Go for it.

Jim

INSURANCE:
Call your Ins Co ahead of time and ask them about their process.  You should be able to get covered immediately after you buy. 

We didn't think about it until we had bought and driven away.  I pulled over, called.  Gave them the VIN, etc.  A credit card number.  And bada-bing, insured.

I would think they would cover you for driving back home.  No different than a car really.  But check with your ins guys.  Our ins co. outsources RV policies to Progressive.  Which actually has some good rates for the coverage you get. 

ENGINES:
We ended up with a used Class A diesel pusher.  The 350hp Cummins is plenty.  The torque is ridiculous.  So HP/torque combo is important.  More than just HP alone.  If diesel fuel is easy to find, you may want consider it.  Mileage is usually better too. 

I see Winn has some diesels.  Though I wouldn't go with their Sprinter-based RV.  We have a Sprinter van and love it.  They look cool as RV's.  But kinda small.  And for the price, a traditional class C is a better buy (IMO).

My $0.02.

Re-read your initial post.  Think we walked through a similar unit last summer - queen back, bunks, and overhead bed.  Best use of space we saw.  Nice open feel with the slides out and looked as though you could walk through it with the slide in.

mrsax2000 said:
Re-read your initial post.  Think we walked through a similar unit last summer - queen back, bunks, and overhead bed.  Best use of space we saw.  Nice open feel with the slides out and looked as though you could walk through it with the slide in.

That sounds like about the same. You can definately walk through it while slides are in, access bathroom etc. Some kitchen cabinets can't be accessed, but no real issue there.

We love the space -- you definately give up some because of the bunks, but we don't spend much time in the RV's (gone a lot with my in-laws 5th wheel) - and would rather have more sleeping space. We are adding a TV in the cab-over-beds so if the weather is crappy we have a backup plan, but yeah we love the floor-plan.

Most brands have floor plans like these.

So right now the AK dealer came in with a decent price not much higher than what I would pay in lower 48 -- close enough that I wouldn't worry about making the trip.

Trying to convince the wife that I should go and get the 2009 unit but so far she isn't biting :) (could be because of the 3-week old baby we have at home.....)

OK we have decided :)

First a few things -- Jim I found $94K units going for $72-74K pretty "standard". Lazy Days in Florida was the cheapest, but General RV in Michigan was close enough that I would have purchased a 2010 unit from them. That seems to be the percentage that you were seeing.

I then found a 2009 unit at Licthsinn - brand new for another $7K less. This is honestly the unit I want for that price. It hurts me that we will not be buying it..... I am a Contracts person by trade and well it simply just hurts me not to get the best deal out there.

BUT we are buying one up here in Alaska. I presented the rough costs by other dealers up here and said just price me close or don't price me at all. Last year they were nowhere close so I was pricing out tickets to Minneapolis and then pickup by Lichtsinn. They surprised the heck out of me up here with a price that is $3K more than lower 48..... $2K of that is additional transportation cost. I figured $2-$2.5K to go down and pick a unit up and drive it back so became a no-brainer when compared to 2010 units.

The benefit as some has pointed out is that the dealer up here will put you "first in line" if you bought from them. In other words you go last in line if you have a warranty issue during the summer. Considering that they have hundreds of rental units that could be one long line. If the difference would have been bigger I would have dealt with it.

So why no 2009 unit? We had a baby 2 weeks ago. Wife pretty much nixed the travel for another 2 months or more and well I do understand her. Also vacation time is precious this year as I have been out a bit with the baby so spending 2-4 days more out of my vacation time would seriously impact the use of the RV this year.

Guess I suck it up not making the best deal, but thrilled to death that we will be putting down the money this afternoon. Been promised a unit before Memorial day and will try to get them to committ to a free rental if they don't meet it.

Will post feedback later. Thanks everyone for their thoughts!!!!

Future 31J Access 2010 unit owner (I hope)

Mike-
Sounds like you made a great decision. I'm excited for you. The lowest price is very tempting but the convenience of buying locally and getting preferential service also has a value, especially considering your location.  Two other big advantages of going new for me is ordering and paying for only the options I want, and also I hope to get back a decent part of the extra cost of new when I sell it.
One of the major reasons I wanted to buy this year is so that I will be ready for our planned trip to your great state of Alaska next summer. Can't wait!

Keep us posted when you get your new Access.

Jim

Will keep you posted with a "review" of the Access

Jim -- if you have any questions about things up here let me know. I don't know as much (yet) about RV ing etc in Alaska, but I do know the fishing spots, best times for fishing and some other neat things about being up here.

One thing to remember if you are in to fishing (not sure if you are or not, but that is my summer passion) is that the state campground at the Russian River allows reservations 6 months in advance and you pretty much have to have the computer up at that exact second. Not as hard as getting Cubs tickets, but darn close :)

Mike -
I may just give you a holler when we get more into planning the specifics. And yes I do love fishing. I told my better half that we didn't need much for a food budget because I would be catching most of our dinners ---- She  isn't buying that. Anyway, nice chatting with you and congratulations on your new baby, The one your wife just gave you --- oh, and the other one you will soon be getting.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom