equipment list for new motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

123rickw

Can anyone tell me what items are a must for a new motorhome? I will be taking delivery in May. I do not currently own an rv.

thank you

Hi! If you haven't bought one yet, you may want to look at as many different RVs and as much literature as you can. It isn't like buying a car. There's no consumer reports or consumer help agency to speak of, and the manufacturers really aren't regulated even as much as car manufacturers. Plus RVs usually are bigger ticket items than cars, so the choice is even bigger and longer lasting!

If you haven't tried RVing yet, you might prefer to rent a few times until you are comfortable that's what you want to do. That will help you with feature choices. There are some checklists in the library here that may suggest the types of equipment that are necessary vs. optional. There are various web sites around by people who explain how they chose their particular RV. I'll try to find a couple again (looked a year ago before we bought) and post. Good luck to you!

You should look at our library section on Buying an RV for some articles that are relevant to your question.

sorry my fault not clear in my question. I am looking for a must have list of items to buy AFTER I take delivery of the motorhome. Such as a surge protector, voltmeter......... anything that is an immediate must have.

thanks

the engine is a good idea though.......

There's a list in our library for that also.

Inexpensive walkie talkies for parking and general checking of site.  Assortment of batteries.  A battery powered fan to circulate fridgerator air.  And yes, the toliet paper is necessary and so is the pen and paper. 

Jennifer

An inexpensive tool set is a must as well as a first aid kit.  Other than that the usual utensils that you would use at home.  Think about what you use a lot at home and realise that you now have a moving home!!

These suggestions and lists are good. Everyone is different. For example, in almost a year, we haven't found the need for a walkie talkie setup nor a separate fridge fan, but you might. It's part of the experience to find out what you need. My suggestion is to save money and not over-purchase until you have some experience with what you need. E.g., you probably will want some basic tools, replacement bulbs and fuses, etc., but you may want to find out what your particular rig requires before buying very much.

Everyone is different

This is so true!  How many people carry a lemon squeezer as an essential kitchen tool?  I do because we don't use salad dressings but I use a LOT of lemons with olive oil.

My suggestion is to save money and not over-purchase until you have some experience with what you need.

Excellent advice!

Think about what you use a lot at home and realise that you now have a moving home!!

What might be different is the sizes and types of various things.  For example, if you have a propane oven (many RVs do not), the sizes of metal baking pans generally are smaller.  When we got our current RV with a microwave-convection oven I invested in a set of Corningware baking dishes that work in the microwave, the convection oven including the microwave/convection mix, or the propane oven.  You can use metal pans when using convection only, but not for the microwave, so the Corningware set does double duty.  The set I got also has both glass and plastic lids so I have what's appropriate for the type of cooking.

Another thing that often stymies people is linens for the bed.  It seems no two RV beds are the same size and/or shape and we all struggle with finding sheets and blankets for the bed.  If you have a queen bed at home, it would be a miracle if those linens fit your RV's queen bed.  So don't buy the bed linens until you get your RV and have places to buy new ones.  Measure not just the width and the length of the mattress but also the thickness.  I've returned many sheets because they wouldn't fit.  I've also sewn pieces of old sheets onto the bottom end of blankets so they would be long enough to tuck under the end of the mattress.  Don't despair! 

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom