post for Ron from BidD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

Hi Ron,

I'm following in your footsteps.  This afternoon I came home from hospital where on Wednesday I had a triple bypass.  Came out of the OR at noon on Wednesday and my eldest son picked me up at noon four days later.

Doing well.  It's all absolutely amazing.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi Doug, glad you made it OK. Hope you have a good, speedy recovery.

Thank you Tom, Ron & Jeff for your good wishes.

My hunch is that our trips to the US, either by RV or other forms of travel, will be off limits due to either no one willing to sell us health insurance (Peg goes for her angiogram tomorrow) or us not being able to afford the level of insurance we need.

Ciao,

Doug

Sorry to hear that Doug. Just yesterday I heard of a friend from the UK who is having to sell his condo in Florida for the same reason - he can't get medical insurance to cover any treatment in the U.S. because of his health history. Similarly, Chris' Dad has decided he can't make further trips to the U.S. because of the prohibitive cost of insurance.

That insurance thing is a real bummer.  The guy Canada that usually parks behind us is 70 and they want to charge him over two grand for coverage while they are here for 4 months.  Guess they are coming down for their stuff and will not return.

Sorry to hear the prohibitive cost on insurance will be affecting you too.

I wish I could get insurance for $400/month.

Ron said:
that is what Canada charges so he can be covered by their national insurance plan while out of Cananda.

That would be interesting to know for sure Ron. It's got me wondering if the UK National Health Service would provide similar coverage. Used to be that they had reciprocal arrangements with some other countries, but I suspect (don't know for sure) that the way health provider costs in the U.S. have escalated over the last 20 years, it might be cost prohibitive.

FWIW when Chris' Dad used to visit us, the NHS didn't provide any coverage outside the UK in the U.S. He had to buy coverage from an independent insurance company. I'm not sure he used the same company each time, but I recall in some cases we paid a medical provider here for service and he submitted a claim when he got home; In at least one case, the provider (a hospital ER) said they didn't need my credit card and submitted the claim to the insurance company in the UK. Brits often buy their out-of-country medical insurance through a travel agency.

I expect his coverage is better than mine with my $3000 deductible at over twice the price.  Maybe I should move to Canada.....nah :)

NO MORE SNOW FOR ME :D  The second happiest day of my life was when I sold the snowblower, the first was when I sold the last boat :)

Well folks, we need to be clear about a few things.

My heart surgery and related procedures won't cost me anything--I might have to pay $50 because I was medevac'd by the province from where I live to where the surgery was performed.  All that is the nature of Canada's national healthcare program.

Now, suppose I want to be covered when traveling outside of Canada, say to the US in US dollars for US costs.  That's where I go to a third party agency (travel agent, BC Automobile Association, broker) and declare my conditions and what level of coverage I want and they say whether they'll sell to me, and if they will what it will cost.

Last year (ending this December) I paid $1,600 Cdn for Peg and me, allowing us 90 days away at a time, but not covering anything to do with my prostate cancer.  But if I tried to buy now, I can think of only one broker that would talk to me before six months after my angiogram--don't know what there reaction would be to the bypass.

Hope that's not too confusing .

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks for the clarification Doug.  That is probably what Tony does too.  Guess when he turned 70 everything went way up.  Can't imagine what it would cost if they were both 70 or older.

Doug,

I am very glad to hear your tripple by-pass went wall. We take what works what it comes to the heart plumbing and pump.

I'm also sorryto hear that you may be grounded. Another reason to get to Vancouver island! Remember, keep up with us here and drop in at the Virtual Campfire --Ron form Big D and Liz are both regular attendees. I've yet to move the RV since my heart work but with the cost of a new mh in my chest I've stuck with my easily maneuverable small GMC Sonoma truck.

WOW!  I should say so.  Don't you understand, there are easier ways to go through life than to follow in my foot steps.  Would you like me to suggest a few good role models?

Glad you seem to be doing fine, but you have had a little much for one year.  Take a break will ya.

I guess it will be a while now before we meet face to face.  Don't expect to see you at Quartzsite.  If we happen to get a break on fuel prices and I decide to head north and west, I'll let you know.

I got back from a two week photo workshop about 2 weeks ago.  Had a great time.  Unfortunately, I lost some of my photos after I got home.  It happened while I was moving some onto another hard drive.  Should have put them on a CD first.  You can view some of them in the Section on Outdoor Activities on this forum.  I put up two groups of 5 images.

Keep in touch and make it a point to visit us on the Chat on Wednesday evenings, like Maxwell suggested.

Thanks RonfBD & Bob for your supportive posts.  More good news today: Peg's angiogram done today found one artery completely blocked but the collateral blood vessels that had developed were well supplying the heart beyond that blockage.  Now she can go back on the waiting list for her shoulder replacement surgery.

In the near future I'll return to CHAT which I've not participated in for far too long.

And Ron, if you come north, I sure hope we'll be able to meet face to face.

Ciao,

Doug

Back
Top Bottom