Jury Duty Exemption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLSharp

Rochester, NY summer; Tucson, AZ winter; otherwise
29er said:
Do snowbirds have jury duty? ??? ?

I just a got a jury duty notice from Rochester, NY. I called the number on the request and told the lady we were traveling in a motor home and would be back to Rochester sometime near the end of June and would be leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving. She said she would take my name off of the list. I do not know whether that means I might get called during the summer.

Richard

Nevada is one of the states that has an opt-out program for jurors over age 70.  Other states include New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New York.  See this site http://www.ncsconline.org/wc/courtopics/StateLinks.asp?id=48&topic=JurMan for jury information on all the states.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Nevada is one of the states that has an opt-out program for jurors over age 70.  Other states include New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New York.
Ardra,

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of the >70 years old exemption. I checked the website you gave but could not find any information on it. So I sent and email to the "contact us" link.

Richard

RLSharp said:
Thanks for the information. I was not aware of the >70 years old exemption. I checked the website you gave but could not find any information on it. So I sent and email to the "contact us" link.

Richard

The AZ age exemption is 75.

The California exemption is 115 or death, whichever comes first  :(

ArdraF said:
Nevada is one of the states that has an opt-out program for jurors over age 70.  Other states include New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New York. 

Something to do with states that start with "N"? My dad was called for jury duty in Oregon while in his 70s. They excused him when he fell asleep during the jury questioning :)

Wendy

BernieD said:
The AZ age exemption is 75.

Bernie,

Where did you find that? I briefly looked over the NY site but, being lazy, decided to send them an email asking about it. In any case, if they don't call me again before September 14th, I should be exempt.  :)

I have served on several juries involving drugs or drug related crimes and in every case it was two or three of us against overtly professed drug users. In none of the cases was it an enjoyable process, in fact I hated it. Based on past experiences, I will be more than happy to leave that "honor" to others. I figure I have served my time.

Richard

So as not to hijack the HS&J discussion. to answer Richard's question, I learned about the exemption for 75 year old jurors the last time I was called for jury duty, that was one of the exemptions listed.

I have been called for jury duty twice since I have been on the road. I wrote them back and explained that I am a full timer living on the road and that seems to satisfy them.

Jeff said:
How about starting a new thread discussing jury exemptions?

Jeff,

As a Forum staff member can you extract the messages in this thread dealing with jury duty and insert them in the new thread that I started today? It is entitled "Jury Duty" in the the Shade Tree. Thanks.

Richard

Edit: I see that Bernie has already started a new thread in the Shade Tree. That would be a more appropriate place to move the jury duty messages.

I Have moved posts to this "Jury Duty Exemption" thread.

BernieD said:
So as not to hijack the HS&J discussion. to answer Richard's question, I learned about the exemption for 75 year old jurors the last time I was called for jury duty, that was one of the exemptions listed.

Bernie,

This is the response that I received from the Monroe County Jury Office this morning.

Mr. Sharp,

Unfortunately, there are no longer age exemptions.  If you have something medically wrong, that could prevent you from serving, we can explore that avenue.

Please contact our office at 428-5370.

Thank you,
Monroe Jury Office

>>> Richard Sharp  3/17/2010 6:47 PM >>>

This e-mail is from the Juror Information Web Site for Monroe.  [sendtocounty]

Index Number: index

Name: Richard Sharp

E-mail:

Address:

Telephone:

Comment:

How do I apply for the over 70 years of age exemption? My DOB is 09/14/1935.

Thanks. Richard

Richard

I must correct my posts. I was summoned for jury duty in Maricopa County and my Maricopa County summons stated the 75 year old exemption. I went back to the website where I doublechecked my statement and realized that it referred to Maricopa County. So AZ, statewide, might not waive jury duty for 75 year olds, but if you live in the right AZ county, you have that waiver available.

Bernie and Richard:

Sorry if I confused your posts but I merged the Jury posts in the HSJ thread but unfortunately the software sorts by date posted. Hope this still makes sense.

Jeff

I'm on a couple of forums that don't thread so it wasn't difficult to figure it all out ;) No harm, no foul.

There is a line we often use elsewhere "Your millage may vary"

In this case each and every court has it's own rules.. I know the rules for ONE and only one court (Michigan's 36th District) which is that they will grant you ONE "Stay" of service.

If, for example. The mail forwarding service says "Jury Comission Letter" I'll ask 'em to forward forth-width (They have instructions to call me if one arrives)

And 36th DC says she will grant me a six month Stay,  Meaning I have to report come summer.

Bernie:

Cochise Co. has the over 75 years exemption as well.

Daisy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom