World Community Grid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Is anyone else a member of the World Community Grid?  I've been donating my spare CPU cycles to them for over 5 years and to a predecessor project for several years before that.  If you are a member, what team are you on, if any?  I'm looking for a new team to join as the one I'm on isn't very active with only 9 members.

If you don't know what the WCG is, you might want to consider joining.  You can get all the details from the above web site, but it uses your spare CPU time to work on various projects, mostly health related like childhood cancer and AIDS, to solve various problems.  I have the software running in the background all the time and never notice it at all.

Ned said:
Is anyone else a member of the World Community Grid?  I've been donating my spare CPU cycles to them for over 5 years and to a predecessor project for several years before that.

Ned,

If I donated my spare CPU cycles to anyone, my computer would run in reverse. It is slower than molasses in Ken's home state in mid-winter.  :(

Richard

Richard, maybe it's time to upgrade?

Ned said:
Richard, maybe it's time to upgrade?

Ned, why should that be? I purchased the thing about six weeks before XP came out. I can't remember the date but Dell gave me an XP upgrade coupon for $20.00 when it was released. I did a clean install and have been acculumating garbage ever since. On the other hand, maybe that is why it is so slow and you are right, an upgrade is probably in my future.  :)

Richard

Richard,

I suspect you've accumulated a lot of cruft over the years and there are things running in the background that really don't do anything useful.  I see a lot of that on older systems.  It takes some digging and lots of Google searching but those processes can be found and eliminated.

But ultimately you will get a new computer and have to start over, it's almost inevitable :)  It's not that bad if you get organized first.

Ned, I've been doing SETI->Bonic since 2000 and have a long term climate study and a protein project named rosetta in addition to SETI on my dual core.

I did a few thousand hours of SETI work before switching to more down-to-earth projects :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom