3150 Keystone 5th wheeel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amberali

Can a 2006 Diesel Ford 250 PU handle pulling a Keystone 3150 5th wheel alright...Have the truck, considering the 5th wheel. Its weight is Est 11,000.
Thank You
Tom
Northern Calif

Is that trailer weight the Montana 3150?  If so, it has as Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 13,965 lbs.  The 11,000 is an unladen weight -- not useful in judging towabilty. 

Your 250 has a tow rating of 12,500 lbs.  We like to knock 10% off that to allow for passengers beyond the driver and truck cargo including the hitch gear.  That moves the maximum trailer GVWR that you should tow down to  11,250 lbs  Moreover the 3215 has a pin weight of 1965 lbs.  That may be a bit heavy for the rear axle rating of a F250.

All in all, I would say, lighter trailer or beefier truck.

I'd feel comfortable towing up to an actual weight of about 12,000 lbs with that truck. You've got to leave a bit of capacity in the truck to carry the wife & maybe a dog, a bit of gear, etc and the 5W hitch itself. Every extra pound in the truck subtracts from tow capacity.  I'm pretty sure the Montana 3150 is going to exceed that a bit. Just propane and a bit of water (in the heater, bottom of tanks, etc) is going to push it up a few hundred lbs and you will surely have 1000 lbs of food and gear onboard before you even know it.  Maybe 1500 even. And that number will grow over the first several months you own the rig.

And as Carl says, the pin weight is going to push the rear axle of the truck up near its limit too.

I'd say you are on the hairy edge or slightly beyond. Performance won't suffer - the diesel has plenty of oomph - but you may be stressing the drivetrain enough to lead to some relatively early failures.

Back
Top Bottom