More Census nonsense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Having received the first alert letter that the Census was coming.. then the Census form arrived, and now today I received another post card telling me that a request to fill out the Census form should have been received by now.

I have sent away the official Census form ( very mild) already. Problem is they asked how many people lived in your home on April 1st, It ain't April 1st yet.

Wonder how much that second (Post Card) mailing cost. Who is in charge?????

I just laugh it off, but actually I am crying.

carson FL

Hey, this census is very important. Without accurate information about the population of the country there is no way they will know how many politicians we should elect to will ignore the will of the people.

I may have been a little vague on my return sheet. They will only discover that there are three males living here and our ages.

Race isn't supposed to matter so I felt it needent be answered.  :p

Hey, Tom,  seilerbird.. Can't quite figure out your message...what's your point. We all know it is important. Are you rooting or booeing?

carson

I am booing the fact that our legislatures get elected to do the will of the people but once they are elected they always say things like "We can't let popular opinion decide what bills get passed."

In the last 15 years there have been 14 states and the District of Columbia have all legalized medical marijuana. But the lawmakers insist they know better than the masses and that it should not be legalized on the federal level. Great, keep filling the jails with people who smoke pot to relieve pain. A guy in New Jersey just got 5 years for growing pot to relieve his pain. Our leaders are so clueless.

Maybe the census will help bring to life those non-existing districts we heard about not too long ago when justifying the stimulus rip-off. ;)

carson said:
Ron, seilerbird...I take it that you like to smoke pot..or?

I used to run the Santa Cruz Cannabis Buyers Club back in the 90s when we got Prop 215 passed. My medical condition has improved to the point where I was able to stop using pot about 10 years ago. This has allowed me be a full timer. If I was still smoking I would not be able to travel like I do since I would not be able to score on the road.

How do you determine how many people will be living at your address 2 weeks in advance?

I may drop dead before 1st April.

I for one will not fill out the form until 1st of April. I will mail it on the 2nd of April.

seilerbird said:
I am booing the fact that our legislatures get elected to do the will of the people but once they are elected they always say things like "We can't let popular opinion decide what bills get passed."

In the last 15 years there have been 14 states and the District of Columbia have all legalized medical marijuana. But the lawmakers insist they know better than the masses and that it should not be legalized on the federal level. Great, keep filling the jails with people who smoke pot to relieve pain. A guy in New Jersey just got 5 years for growing pot to relieve his pain. Our leaders are so clueless.

check it out: http://www.salon.com/news/2010/02/22/us_seniors_marijuana/index.html

Someone mentioned to us that the questions on the census are a bit personal ie income level.  Those who have received the form, is there anything on the questionnaire like that?

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Someone mentioned to us that the questions on the census are a bit personal ie income level.  Those who have received the form, is there anything on the questionnaire like that?
Marsha~

Here are the questions:  http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

Nothing but "household members" information on the form.  No job questions, no income questions.  We have 5 people as of this year, and the whole thing took me less than 10 minutes to complete.

Re: medical marijuana, the problem seems that SO many people will likely abuse the law (claiming they have all kinds of ills, but really just want to get legally high or grow huge quantities to sell for profit) that lawmakers are gun-shy to take the leap.  Abuse of existing prescription drugs is such a huge problem that I don't think the feds and many states want to add fuel to the fire.  The majority of claims of relief from marijuana also seem to be anecdotal... I'm certainly not saying it never works, just that there is not widespread support in the medical community that I'm aware of.  There also becomes the problem of impaired driving and ways to test THC levels in the bloodstream (like they do with alcohol), determine what's "safe" etc.  Lots of untapped issues to be dealt with before it reaches levels of public acceptance.  If we continue this discussion, perhaps it should be via PM or in a new Campfire thread.  ;)

SO many people will likely abuse the law (claiming they have all kinds of ills, but really just want to get legally high or grow huge quantities to sell for profit)
\

Just like any other med, in NM you need a script from a doc, sometimes two.  and the big deal is?  alcohol is dispensed w/o any oversight except age ID

taoshum said:
Here are the questions:  http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

I don't see all the questions there, unless you live alone.  And if you don't, there are more questions.

From that so-called "ten question" Census, they know I am Caucasian, that Tom is Chinese and that we are a gay couple ( "unmarried partners" who are both male).

Not that any of it is a big secret or anything.

BTW, we have another home near Reno, NV where we also got a Census questionnaire.  And we expect to both be there on April one.

But I already filled out the form at our SSF home. I assume I am NOT supposed to fill out the one received at our Reno home. Or should I return it and claim zero people live there, even though we will be living there on April One?

SSF, CA is our primary residence and I assume that's all they really care about.

-Don- SF, CA​

scottydl said:
Re: medical marijuana, the problem seems that SO many people will likely abuse the law (claiming they have all kinds of ills, but really just want to get legally high

I don't see a lot of difference in the "legally high"  versus  illegally high in the "problem" department.  Those who want it have countless ways to get it, legal or not. IOW, which is better, an ignored law or an abused law?

And no, I won't touch the stuff legal or not. I don't mind feeling like my natural self.

-Don- SF, CA​

BTW, we have another home near Reno, NV where we also got a Census questionnaire.  And we expect to both be there on April one.

try this one: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/text/text-form.php

call 'em and ask 'em the question about two houses...  we live in a MH sometimes but don't get mail at the MH but I guess we could.  I'd just throw it away.

All the discussion here so far has been about the "short" Census form.  It's quite possible that some folks in each neighborhood receive the "long" form.  I received the short form this year. but have gotten the longer more probing one in the past.  There were some very detailed income questions on that form.  I assume they still use it when deemed necessary.

aka Porky said:
All the discussion here so far has been about the "short" Census form.  It's quite possible that some folks in each neighborhood receive the "long" form.  I received the short form this year. but have gotten the longer more probing one in the past.  There were some very detailed income questions on that form.  I assume they still use it when deemed necessary.

According to the census website, there is only one form this year... basically a headcount by zipcode

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom