Lowes 10% Military Discount, Everday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigskymt

I was shopping at Lowes today, as the sales clerk asked for my ID to verify my credit card she caught a glimpse of my VA Card. She asked if that was a Military ID and I replied just VA. She said that's Military and good for 10% off my purchase.
  I told her I'd thought that only applied on Veterans Day, she replied "Nope, only Home Depot does that, at Lowes you're a Veteran everyday"! She also recommended I present all old sales receipts for a refund. (I won't do that).
  I've never heard this before and wonder if they are now promoting the little known rule due to economic downturn.
  The forklift driver that loaded my trailer and checked my receipt reaffirmed her actions.
  Goodbye Home Depot!

There are several business that do the same, including Lowe's competitor Home Depot.  Verizon also does this.  There was a pretty comprehensive listing on one of the main RV forums a couple of months ago.  As one who qualifies for the discount, I can say that I'm very appreciative of being offered it and can assure retailers that I will be supporting them as they are supporting me and my fellow vets.

sheltie: We had quite an interesting discussion here just before Veterans Day,'09. Verizon limits it's discount to Government Employees it seems, Knotts was giving free admission most of November to Vets& one guest. Zuni Jane (I believe) was quick to point out Applebee's "Golden Trough" (her words), Veterans Day Menu etc, etc.
  Home Depot advertised 10% discount Veterans Weekend only. Lowes was the first to offer that discount everyday.
  I for one would be curious to find out who else offers discounts. Thanks for your input, Thank you for your service!

Verizon does give a veteran's discount. You just have to find someone at a Verizon store who knows how to do it. We've been getting the discount since the lengthy discussion here about it.

military.com lists a ton of discounts for active, retired, and veterans.

Wendy

I recently filed complaint on the store manager of a Menard in Big Rapids, MI.  I sent the complaint to HQ's  of Menards and I'm sure it was just thrown away.  This specific Menards did Military discount one time, 2nd time the manager on duty said he got in trouble for doing it the 1st time.  He told us to bring proof from a competitor and they will match the discount.  I said your competitor will not give me that in writing.  He did discount anyways.  3rd time the store manager was on duty and we were buying 2 electric garage door openers, total was over $450, provided military ID and cashier said I cannot give discount.  I asked 4 the manager and he came and said he would not do it, I added Home Depot and Lowes has given me discounts anytime I showed ID regardless of what day it was.  SM stated Home Depot is not a local competitr of Menards since HD is 20 minutes away.  SM calls Lowes next door and they said they only give discount on Veterans Day which is not correct.  So the SM blew me off and walked away when I attempted to get an explanation and reasoning why no discount and why he gave his manager hell 4 giving us the discount before.  He would not listen 2 anything and walked away.  10% on $450 purchases.  Few years ago we spent nearly $20k at this Menards when he remodeled our home and never knew 2 ask 4 a discount.  It's apparent Menards does not honor veterans and my wife is still in the Army Reserves currently.  No reply from Menards HQ's tells me they dont support the troops either.  I now drive that exta 20 minutes or I shop more local 2 my home and pay higher $ which is worth it since Menards is not getting the sale.  I've found that it all depends on the particular store.  1 HD gives discont everyday, another near us don't and local Lowe's now only does Veterans Day.  Funny how small store like Pamida that does not make anywhere near the big box stores gives a discount everyday and so does Advance Auto Parts. 

bigskymt said:
  sheltie: We had quite an interesting discussion here just before Veterans Day,'09. Verizon limits it's discount to Government Employees it seems, Knotts was giving free admission most of November to Vets& one guest. Zuni Jane (I believe) was quick to point out Applebee's "Golden Trough" (her words), Veterans Day Menu etc, etc.
  Home Depot advertised 10% discount Veterans Weekend only. Lowes was the first to offer that discount everyday.
  I for one would be curious to find out who else offers discounts. Thanks for your input, Thank you for your service!

Ok, I'll respond to what I know for sure.  Home Depot gives me a 10% discount on EVERYTHING EVERY day.  Verizon gives me a 10% discount on my cell (or internet, sorry I don't remember which) and that discount is for military service (in my case).  Not so sure about just government service, maybe others who were GSs can answer that.  If I was that interested, I'd Google to see who offers a discount.  The Applebee's dinner was so crowded it was incredible.  It just shows that if you offer a free meal to retired military (yes, it was offered to anyone who has served), we old geezers will come out of the wood work!  My guess is that there are AT LEAST 25 companies that offer discounts.

Wendy - you don't have to go to a Verizon store.  I just did mine over the phone.  There originally was a considerable amount of confusion among Verizon employees but I think they now have that fixed.  I don't know anything about Menard's as I've never heard of it.

I want to make one thing clear.  Thank you for all who have expressed their appreciation for my service.  However, while I appreciate your expressions, I was PROUD to have served my country for well over 20 years and don't feel I was warranted anything to deserve a discount  any more than the average person.  However, obviously I avail myself of discounts where offered.

Wendy

Verizon is selective in it's products as to the veteran's discount. After I got my Verizon air card, I went to a Verizon store and a corporate manager happened to be there. I asked for the discount and he called some contact and set it up. When the next bill came, I called to find out why I wasn't getting the discount and was told the discount only applies to phone service, not data plans.

It sure would help if everyone posting added their location. Just as in this thread, I am in East central Florida and the discounts that are being talked about could be in Alaska, Maine or California. So they might not even apply here. I can always ask and I will when  I shop Lowes and Home Depot and others.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jerrygroah said:
It sure would help if everyone posting added their location. Just as in this thread, I am in East central Florida and the discounts that are being talked about could be in Alaska, Maine or California. So they might not even apply here. I can always ask and I will when  I shop Lowes and Home Depot and others.

Thanks for the heads up.

I live in central Texas, but have used HD and Lowe's wherever I've travelled.  If the company is a national chain, the discount will be honored everywhere.  You may find someone who is unfamiliar with it so just ask for a supervisor or the store manager.

I haven't checked out the following list, just did a quick and dirty Google search.

The following companies offer discounts, but you may find that
not all locations participate:

Restaurants
?Applebee's
?Arby's
?A&W
?Back Yard Burgers
?Barnhill's
?Burger King
?Captain D's
?Carl's Jr.
?Chevy's Fresh Mex
?Chick-Fil-A
?Chipotle
?Denny's
?Dunkin' Donuts
?Friendly's Ice Cream Stores
?Golden Corral
?IHOP
?Java Cafe
?KFC
?Long John Silver's
?McDonald's
?The Melting Pot
?Panchero's Mexican Grill
?Pancho's Mexican Buffet
?Panda Express
?Pizza Hut
?Quizno's
?Raising Cane's Chicken
?Red Robin
?Sizzler
?Sonic
?Taco Bell
?Texas Roadhouse
?Wendy's
?WhataBurger
?White Castle
Travel
?AmTrak
?Best Western
?Choice Hotels
?Continental Airlines
?Cruise lines (most)
?Hyatt Hotels
?Marriott Hotels
?Wyndham Hotels and Resorts

Car Care
?AutoZone
?Big 10 Tires
?Checker Auto Parts
?General Motors
?Jiffy Lube
?Kragen Auto Parts
?Meineke
?NAPA Auto Parts
?www.lyonsperformance.com
Cell Phone Service Discounts
?Alltel
?Cingular
?Sprint/NexTel
?T-Mobile
?Verizon
Clothing and Shoes
?Aeropostale
?The Children's Place
?Dress Barn
?The Finish Line
?Foot Action
?Foot Locker
?Goody's
?Hot Topic
?Jos. A. Bank
?Jockey
?Kohl's
?Lerner
?New York & Company
?Pac Sun
?Rack Room Shoes
?Reebok
?Timberland Outlets (active duty only)
?Wilson's Leather

Entertainment
?Anheuser-Busch Amusement Parks
?Blockbuster
?Disney Resorts
?MLB Hall of Fame
?Movie Theaters
?Ripley's attractions and museums
?Professional Sports teams

Others

?AT&T
?Geico
?Sears Portrait Studio
?Apple Computers
?Bass Pro Shops
?Bath & Body Works
?Budget Truck Rental
?Champs Sports
?Dell Computers
?Dick's Sporting Goods
?Discovery Channel Store
?GNC
?Home Depot
?Lowe's
?Play It Again Sports
?Pure Beauty
?Sally Beauty Supply
?Spencer's Gifts
?Suncoast

plus more.

Verizon offers an 18% bill discount to Employees of certain companies also.  I get an 18% discount because I work at a Utility company.....non-military.  :)

You can go to the Verizon website, type in your company to see if it qualifies for the discount....no proof required, and your discount shows up in your next bill.

It's good to see Lowes offers that everyday.

I did 9yrs in the Navy, been out about 7 now and I still get asked if I'm military, most of the time I tell them no because I know they are offering a discount. Like was mentioned above we didn't serve so we could get a discount later :) It would be nice though however that if you did serve for X amount of time you were issued an ID card stating you were a veteran. In some cases where I had to prove my veteran status I had to dig up my original DD214 which can be a pain.

Wendy: thanks for the military.com tip, I'm now a member.
Sheltie: I never thought to ASK about discounts much less google it, thanks for the comprehensive list.
  It seems discounts are selective depending on individual store policy.
  As a Vet I'll support anyone that recognizes Vets. As a consumer I'll gladly accept a discount. As a vendor I'll easily take 80-90% of something as opposed to 100% of nothing. In this economy discounts make good cent$.
  I'll try the Verizon website tip, I might get farther then customer service.
DaveandMari: A VA Card is usually accepted as prior Military ID. If you have not applied to VA I strongly recommend it. Even if you don't use it now.

None of us went in the military to get a discount. Most of us went in to serve our country and were proud to do so. However, those who served honorably are entitled to every single discount that we can get.

Wendy

Jerry,

Not to hijack the thread but we're just down the road in Titusville! Bet you shop Lowe's and Home Depot here. We're 1/2 mile from either.

Wendy said:
None of us went in the military to get a discount. Most of us went in to serve our country and were proud to do so. However, those who served honorably are entitled to every single discount that we can get.

Wendy

Wendy,

I agree with you to a point.  My own personal attitude is that I "deserve" a discount no more than the police officer, fireman, nurse, teacher, etc.  They are my heroes.  I truly believe the current atmosphere regarding treatment of active duty and vets is a backlash of the way those of us from the VietNam era were treated in the 60s and 70s.  I am SO pleased that the military is treated with the respect they deserve today.

I decided to try out the discount at Lowes in Stroudsburg, PA yesterday. Since I don't have a VA ID--I was discharged in 1967 and never applied for any military related ID-- I took a copy of my Honorable Discharge certificate. They took one look at it and said that's all we need and gave my 10%. So it does work.

The Lowes here in Brandon and Plant City Fl. quit doing it a while back so I quit shopping there and will soon have my acct. paid off and will close it...The Home Depot across the street gives me the 10% discount so I give them thousands of dollars in business every couple of months.....

We need kitchen tile, hardwood floor repair pieces, and carpet. We have Lowe's and Home Depot in the nearest "real" towns (50 miles and 75 miles away) and the one that gives me the VA discount will get my business. Or maybe I'll just give a donation to the local DAV and not worry about "my" discount.

Wendy

sheltie said:
Wendy,

I agree with you to a point.  My own personal attitude is that I "deserve" a discount no more than the police officer, fireman, nurse, teacher, etc.  They are my heroes.  I truly believe the current atmosphere regarding treatment of active duty and vets is a backlash of the way those of us from the VietNam era were treated in the 60s and 70s.  I am SO pleased that the military is treated with the respect they deserve today.

I agree sheltie that indeed it is a backlash or sort of an indirect reaction to how we Viet Vets were treated in the late 60's, 70's and from my perspective, thru the 80's and up to the first Gulf War. It seems the pendulum began to swing the other way then and is actually wonderful now. I feel proud for today's war zone Vets who now have it so much better than we "old guys."

As for others in harm's way everyday, yes, I support them too but it is the Veteran who wore the uniform for his/her Country that I salute first, esp a combat Vet.

As for the discounts, splendid gesture. I am more partial to Lowe's anyway and their "everyday discount of 10%" is icing on the cake.

BTW, even tho Lowe's had been doing the discount for some time, at least in the stores I shop, they did  publish an official corporate policy statement on this issue in mid-Feburary. I have read it but can't get my hands on it right now. Shortly after that, HD, which only honored on certain days, followed suit.  Seems Lowe's is the "hands up" leader on this.

Wendy said:
We need kitchen tile, hardwood floor repair pieces, and carpet. We have Lowe's and Home Depot in the nearest "real" towns (50 miles and 75 miles away) and the one that gives me the VA discount will get my business. Or maybe I'll just give a donation to the local DAV and not worry about "my" discount.

Wendy

Boy, I'd hate to drive that rotten, ugly, boring road to Durango from Cortez - NOT!  I know you're used to it but I think I could drive it every day and not ever get bored.  Besides, I'm surprised that beautiful downtown Cortez doesn't have either store.  After all, it does have the only Super WalMart I've ever been in where there are reserved parking spots for seniors.  Progressive thinking on their part!

Back
Top Bottom