95 f150 towing capacity??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old-George

Hi guys & gals..I have a 4wd 95 f150w a soon to be new I6 engine...going to travel across the country seeing as much as I can and as many grand-kids as I can..
I'm trying to get knowledge on the trucks pulling capacity..seems too old for the charts..
Since it's just going to be me I just need enough trailer to be livable for long periods of time.
If this plan works out I might go up in size if I have too in a few years..

George

What gears does it have?  If you don't know, look on the drives side door pillar.  There will be a white sticker that will have all kinds of info on it, see what number or letter number combo is under axle, and then post back.

More than likely the "tow rating" only going to be in the 4000-6000 lbs range.  I have a 94 F150 4X4 with the 300-6 and 5spd for my work truck.  Probably 30,000 of the 180,000 miles that it has are towing a 773/S185 Bobcat and trailer which is right around 7000lbs, and it still has the original clutch.  It won't win any drag races, but the low end power of the 300 is very very good.

Thanks for the reply...the number under the axle is 19.
the springs are K 41.
It is a 300 six-5 speed, 4WD that will have a Jasper rebuilt engine in a few months..runs strong but has a piston skirt broken and is getting noisy.
I don't need speed...but want dependability.
Am looking at a f/t rv-ing combo. Just me and highway for the next few years..life's too short to deal w/small stuff.

George

Axle code 19 is 3.55 gears with a open diff.  I see that you have a 5spd also.  Technically with a 5spd the tow rating is only around 3000lbs, with an auto it is 5300 lbs.  But honestly if you get a trailer that is in the 5000lb range you will be perfectly fine.  The reason for the lower tow rating for because of the transmission itself. It is a Mazda unit, and yes granted it is not the strongest tranny in the world, but the stocker in my truck held up to the abuse that I put it through for just over 150,000 very hard miles.  If the Mazda tranny would ever happen to go out you could replace it with a ZF5, which is a HD tranny used in F250/350's.

George,
You need to spend a lot of time looking around at trailers and figure out what you are willing to live in for the next several (or more?) years. The more time you spend in an RV, the more space most people want. Little inconveniences for a week become continual aggravations when endured for months on end.  Once you begin to get an idea of the trailer, start looking at the weight (GVWR - the dry weight is meaningless) to see if you are going to need a different truck or not.

I would not want to tow a 5000+ lb trailer with that truck, but I'm fairly conservative on that score.

Back
Top Bottom