ok, another dog comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
taoshum said:
Yet another example of the growing and unrelenting power we have "given" to the insurance lobby.  AMG almost drained the whole economy, the health insurance lobby runs health care, vehicle insurance rakes in billions, muni bond insurance is killing the muni bond market; title insurance is an unregulated monopoly, the list goes on and on.  Does having insurance promote claims/lawsuits prompting even more insurance?  Amazing that we rollover and pay it year after year after year.  Sorry.

Insurers are for profit entities that decide what risks they will and will not ensure.  The "lobby" has nothing to do with actuaries.  How is this an example of giving power to insurance companies? 

This is no different than insurance companies charging more (or not insuring) a 18 year old with a Ferrari and a bad driving record.  There is a high probability of an expensive payout, so why shouldn't they charge more?  If I was an insurer and I saw the actuaries on dog bite payouts, I would probably do the same. 

If we are pointing a finger, I would say the problem here is bad dog owners, not insurance companies.  If everyone were a responsible owner and trained their animals appropriately, there wouldn't be 4.7Million dog bites per year for insurance companies to deal with.

Tom said:
Many years ago I read that a dog is unable to tell the size of another dog. Any truth to this?

I have not heard this before. I suspect they can tell size......they certainly can when it comes to a fence and people?

Ever heard the term 'hair rising on a dog's back'? Makes them appear bigger to their opponent.
  Same with roosters, peacocks, some breeds of cats and many wild animals.

Wendy said:
Sorry you've run into irresponsible dog owners but please don't paint us all with the same brush. I truly believe that most dog owners are responsible, keep their dogs under control and pick up after the beasties. As for retractable leashes, I use one, it's less than 10-feet long, and I rope him in when someone is nearby.

Just curious, were you in a profession where you ran across dogs? Perhaps a jogger? Not blaming you, just wondering what the circumstances were. Also curious about the perpetrators sizes

Wendy

I'll answer you inquire in two parts.
#1 I was in the service industry and was required to enter peoples homes.
#2 "You" are part of the problem, you admit you use a ten foot leash, when the rules clearly state 6 foot leashes. 10 feet is still ten feet even if you wind it in 4 feet. Its people like you that bend the rules that cause the problems for the dog owners that follow the rules.

I hope a mod straightens out the quote.
  1) I can't recall the last time I entered someones house as SO and found a dog on a leash, usually they put them in another room.
  2) Not every leash law restricts length to 10'
  AND, those are some pretty strong words directed towrd Wendy

Tom said:
Many years ago I read that a dog is unable to tell the size of another dog. Any truth to this?

No, that is nonsense! Ask Trixie. She will ONLY snap at larger dogs that get in her face. She's afraid of larger dogs only.

-Don-​

bigskymt said:
  I hope a mod straightens out the quote.
  1) I can't recall the last time I entered someones house as SO and found a dog on a leash, usually they put them in another room.
  2) Not every leash law restricts length to 10'
  AND, those are some pretty strong words directed toward Wendy
YOU use the word usually,  I always asked for the homeowner to put the dog in the other room, there is where the problem lies, Quote: my dog don't bite; yes tell that to the dog that has half my leg in his mouth.

If the shoe fits and I believe it fits; when Windy freely admits she lets her dog on a longer than the allowed 6 foot leash.
Sorry if I offended you but if Wendys dog bites someone; I'm sure she will say, but my dog never bite anyone before, you must have done something to get my dog agitated. 

melvonnar said:
If the shoe fits and I believe it fits; when Windy freely admits she lets her dog on a longer than the allowed 6 foot leash.
Sorry if I offended you but if Wendys dog bites someone; I'm sure she will say, but my dog never bite anyone before, you must have done something to get my dog agitated.

IMHO, that's one too many potshots at Wendy.  I happen to know that she's a very responsible dog owner, as are many people on this forum, and she is voicing opinions that many of us, including myself, share. 

Margi

I said 'Usually' another room because on some occasions the dog is put outside.
  My words were incorrect regarding the 10' leash, I meant to say 6' leash.
  There was never any comment made by Wendy regarding her use of a 10' leash when restricted to 6'.
You have a very presumptive attitude knowing what Wendy will say when her dog bites somebody. I happen to believe differently having met her and witnessed her actions as a responsible pet owner.
  We will never agree on anything here as you direct your emotion based comments against an undeserving individual. I hope you lighten up a little, there's no reason to attack people here with no provocation.

bigskymt said:
I said 'Usually' another room because on some occasions the dog is put outside.
  My words were incorrect regarding the 10' leash, I meant to say 6' leash.
  There was never any comment made by Wendy regarding her use of a 10' leash when restricted to 6'.
You have a very presumptive attitude knowing what Wendy will say when her dog bites somebody. I happen to believe differently having met her and witnessed her actions as a responsible pet owner.
  We will never agree on anything here as you direct your emotion based comments against an undeserving individual. I hope you lighten up a little, there's no reason to attack people here with no provocation.
Sir: please reread Windys first post, I believe you will see that she indeed uses a leash more than 6 feet.I did not attack anyone, just stated the written facts.
Quote: As for retractable leashes, I use one, it's less than 10-feet long, and I rope him in when someone is nearby.
I never saw a retract that didn't go out at least 20 feet.I'm sure you will now dispute that.

I'm done here; There are those that no matter what the facts are their minds are already made up. And I believe I've met one.

Before you criticize someone at least get their name correct.  Then try to determine facts and not conjecture.

melvonnar said:

Kindly do not put words in my mouth or make assumptions about what I will do or say when you don't know me. If my dog bit someone or hurt someone in any way, I would certainly weigh all the evidence and would take responsibility if my dog was at fault. I know my dog and the odds are that if my labrador bit someone it would be the person's fault.

Do I use a retractable leash? Yeah, I do, and it is NOT 20-feet long. In fact, I just measured it and it's 12-feet long. And the only time the dog gets out 12 feet is when there are no other people or dogs around. If there are people or dogs in the area, the retractable leash is locked at less than 6-feet.

I'm sorry you don't like dogs and that you have been bitten but DO NOT paint all dog owners with the same negative brush.

Hopefully if you have children, your children aren't painted as juvenille delinquents just because some kids are.

It appears that the "closed mind" here is yours.

Regards
Wendy

melvonnar said:
There are those that no matter what the facts are their minds are already made up. And I believe I've met one.

I believe we've definitely met one, but not the one you might think!

Margi

I think your really splitting hairs with the 6' thing, an owner eather has the dog under control or not, the leash length is immaterial.>>>Dan

Insurers are for profit entities that decide what risks they will and will not ensure.  The "lobby" has nothing to do with actuaries.
  If you believe that, you would probably argue about the length of a leash... LOL.

On top of that, I don't believe you, lobbyists rule!!!!  Actuaries help the lobbyists lobby using statistics.  I guess you and I get the same number of votes though, one each?  I'll always vote for dogs and other animals over insurance and their minions, always.

Did you mean insure?  All they ensure IMHO, is insurance company profits.

And, they drop sick folks when they need health care the most... hence the current battle over health insurance instead of health care.  They pay their CEO $102,000 per hour to do what?  State Farm's profits went from $350 million earlier this decade to $3.2 Billion after they decided to litigate most claims instead of settling fairly.  W. Buffett decided to ride insurance to the pinnacle of personal wealth because it is the easiest way to make immense profits.  Insurance taxes living, it doesn't create any wealth but grows exponentially.  They convinced (bribed?) the gov reps to make insurance mandatory, first with vehicles and now it spreads.

I trust Wendy's dog much more than I trust anyone involved with insurance...  The dog follows the golden rule... insurance follows the rule of gold and gold rules. 

Obviously, I have no strong views on the matter. 

thanks, G.

taoshum said:
  If you believe that, you would probably argue about the length of a leash... LOL.

On top of that, I don't believe you, lobbyists rule!!!!  Actuaries help the lobbyists lobby using statistics.  I guess you and I get the same number of votes though, one each?  I'll always vote for dogs and other animals over insurance and their minions, always.

Did you mean insure?  All they ensure IMHO, is insurance company profits.

And, they drop sick folks when they need health care the most... hence the current battle over health insurance instead of health care.  They pay their CEO $102,000 per hour to do what?  State Farm's profits went from $350 million earlier this decade to $3.2 Billion after they decided to litigate most claims instead of settling fairly.  W. Buffett decided to ride insurance to the pinnacle of personal wealth because it is the easiest way to make immense profits.  Insurance taxes living, it doesn't create any wealth but grows exponentially.  They convinced (bribed?) the gov reps to make insurance mandatory, first with vehicles and now it spreads.

I trust Wendy's dog much more than I trust anyone involved with insurance...  The dog follows the golden rule... insurance follows the rule of gold and gold rules. 

Obviously, I have no strong views on the matter. 

thanks, G.

I think your "passion" over the issue is clouding your view. 

First, I am not the poster talking about leash lengths, nor have I ever made any statement other than I think certain dogs shouldn't be allowed in reside in high population area.  I further supported that position with statistical evidence supporting my position, and again clarified that bad owners are the culpable parties to which dog lovers and haters should be assigning blame for the restrictions you see at campground.

Regarding Insurance (not ensure, as I misspelled earlier), I am no apologist for insurers, so don't lump me in that crowd.  What I said, quite clearly, is that insurers have the right to choose what to underwrite based on their financial risk of paying out a loss.  That is the definition of a free market.  Don't like it, fine, don't insure your property.  Just be prepared to pay our of pocket if/when you incur a liability. 

I didn't post in this thread to talk about insurance companies, and especially didn't post to start a conversation about health insurance, so I am not touching your last comment.

Tom said:
Does Trixie bark at horses?

Horses don't get in her face.

But if one somehow did,  maybe not, because she will realize by the smell it's not another dog. I have heard that when a puppy gets snapped at by a larger dog, the puppy will often grow up to snap at larger dogs. It's called "fear biting" which is trying to chase away what you're afraid of. No other logic involved. Just like some humans, doggies may create the problem they are most afraid of.

She does NOT do this with any humans, just larger doggies. The larger the dog, the more likely she will snap at it. She got beat up by a large poodle once because of that, in an off-least doggy park here in SF.  She should be embarrassed!

-Don- SF, CA​

Mc2guy said:
I think your "passion" over the issue is clouding your view. 

First, I am not the poster talking about leash lengths, nor have I ever made any statement other than I think certain dogs shouldn't be allowed in reside in high population area.  I further supported that position with statistical evidence supporting my position, and again clarified that bad owners are the culpable parties to which dog lovers and haters should be assigning blame for the restrictions you see at campground.

Regarding Insurance (not ensure, as I misspelled earlier), I am no apologist for insurers, so don't lump me in that crowd.  What I said, quite clearly, is that insurers have the right to choose what to underwrite based on their financial risk of paying out a loss.  That is the definition of a free market.  Don't like it, fine, don't insure your property.  Just be prepared to pay our of pocket if/when you incur a liability. 

I didn't post in this thread to talk about insurance companies, and especially didn't post to start a conversation about health insurance, so I am not touching your last comment.

If it were a "free market" that would be different.  For example, if it were a free market I would be able to buy liability insurance to cover me, no matter what I'm driving instead of buying liability insurance for each and every vehicle I drive.  You can get this coverage in Mx... $130/year for any vehicle you happen to be driving.  There are many other examples.

Wow, oh my, I was just looking to see if anyone else travels with a Rottie. You guys are a passionate crowd. Just for the record, my dog used to raise all kinds of hell at horses, until one almost kicked his brains out, I live on a farm and my neighbor has horses that he keeps in my pasture,  now he respects them a whole lot more.

Sorry I upset a few people with a dog question. I am still going to travel with my dog anyway. The only person that really cared that I had a rottweiler was a cop who pulled me over in Illinois once. He figured I was hauling a motorhome full of whatever, he searched it found nothing and sent me on my way. Although he was more upset at the pistol I had, luckily I had an Illinois FOID card so....tough luck copper. He did say the Rottie caught his eye when I passed him. That is when I use to drive a 1976 Winnebago Cheiftain. Bruno used to like to sit in between the seats and look out the front as I drive.

Other than that, I have had no issues, I do not stay in campgrounds, however, I do not full time yet, I only travel usually on weekends for fun.

Woof

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom