ok, another dog comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V2Neal said:
I can understand both sides. I've never been full on bitten, but nipped good a couple times. We had a shepherd when I was growing up that was psychotic. You could walk by him pet him and he was happy. Ten minutes later do the same and he would growl. He was a big guy too. Had a bowling ball for a toy and could pick it up. Scary.

Sorry to hear that some of you have had bad dog experiences, and I can't really blame you for being scared of them. Please try not to lump all us dog owners together though. Just like all other facets of life, some are good, some are bad.  8)

Oh I know what you're saying, most dog owners, especially at campgrounds, are very good at controlling their dogs but I could understand where someone who doesn't know me or my dogs would walk a different way because there are some out there that shouldn't have dogs in their posession.

Although I use a retractable leash with our yellow lab, I agree with Marsha that they are not the best thing to use and that dog trainers (I would venture to say ALL dog trainers) hate them, mainly because you're giving the dog control of the walk. However, with my yellow, I've been able to do a lot of training with that retractable (come, sit, stop) and he responds well and it works for us. There is no way I would have used a retractable with his predecessor, a grouchy chocolate lab. So I would recommend NOT using a retractable with your dog unless and until you've got him trained up.

FWIW, I've been bitten twice. Once was a friend's german shephard....I did a handstand in HIS yard and it freaked him out. To his credit, he grabbed my ankle and immediately let go when his owner yelled "no". The other was a little yapper who took numerous bites on my ankles when I was jogging while his owner was yelling "It's ok, he won't bit you" and then got pissed off when I kicked her little angel. So, yes, I can understand being concerned when ANY dog runs up barking at you.

But I still don't paint any breed or all dog owners with the same brush just because not all owners are responsible and not all dogs are angels (despite what owners think).

Now, please don't flame me. I'm just expressing my opinion.

And back to the OP - travel with your best buddy and so long as you pick up after him and keep him under control, you're welcome to park next to me in any campground. Does he like playing with other dogs? Gordon likes making new friends.

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
One of the things I really dislike, and you'll find a lot of dog trainers don't appreciate them either, is the retractable leash.  Some of them go 20' or more. 

I have a 70# standard poodle who LOVES everyone, dogs and humans.  He is just over 2 years old; but large breeds are slow to mature and he is not 100% dependable to do what I ask; thus the continual training.  He still has a puppy mind.  When we are in a campground and I am taking Charlie for a walk, he is on a very short leash, at my side and close to me.  When around people and other dogs;  I am working to train him to only pay attention to me.  There are times when here comes some cute little tiny thing on a 20' retractable and the owner lets it out so "they can meet".  I'm trying to train my dog and I politely mention that no thanks, I'm trying to train him; but "oh no", the little thing continues to come at us "full blast" with the owner saying "It's alright they just want to sniff noses".  Well, that's the very thing I'm trying to avoid.

These retractable leashes just allow too much length to be able to control a dog.  Poor Charlie gets into trouble or I have to abandon my training to accommodate the little dog on the 20' leash. 

I've been thinking about  getting a "coat Jacket" for him that reads "Dog in training...do not disturb".  Or "warning-vicious dog"  ;)

Marsha~

Marsha, I'm not sure I share your dislike for the retractable leash.  (BTW - I've never seen one over 16')  I use the retractable leash when the dog and I are on a business walk; i.e. he's there to do his business.  These walks are done in appropriate places and we try to ensure our distance from both people and other animals.  Reddog appreciates the extra freedom and exercise of short romps within the leash limits.  He is immediately "reined in" when in the vicinity of other dogs or people, but he knows that when he's on that leash it's "rope yarn Sunday".

Dogs don't always have to be sniffing other dogs privates, they just  enjoy sniffing where other dogs have been.  It's like reading the newspaper to them.  They catch up on all the latest news.  They need that unstructured time.

You are correct, however, in that the retractable leash is not useful in training a dog in close order drill or total obedience, but it has it's purpose when used by responsible and considerate owners.

I use a 6' leash with a "pinch" collar for training or when walking with the dog around a cg, or our own neighborhood, visiting with friends and/or we are engaged in an actual training session.  The pinch collar gives me control of a very strong, and strong willed, dog without choking or harming him.  I, and the dog, keep our distance until someone asks if they can touch or pet the dog.  If I sense that the person, or the dog, is the least bit hesitant, I simply decline and say that it's not the best thing to do.

Reddog is 13 years old now so he's had a few years to adjust to the various collars and leashes.  He actually knows what to expect of our walk based on which leash he sees me grab.  Being a husky, he's a runner.  His "recall" is near non-existent, if he so chooses, so he is never off-leash or tied where he can lunge unexpectedly at people.

You may be setting your expectations of other pet owners and their pets, and even Charlie, unrealistically high by thinking you can accomplish any "training" in a CG environment.  JMHO.  It might be possible if you went from rig to rig and asked everyone to behave in a predictable manner while you train your dog, but I'm not sure they came camping to be part of your dogs training regimen.  I've always found that it's best to do the training in a more controlled environment and use the public forum to "show off" and display the results.  Again just opinion.......

My wife and I were walking our dogs at the NPS C.G. at Lake Mead. Within 400' of a trailer a  Yellow Lab tied to the awning starting barking. As we got closer his barking grew more aggressive. Within 50 yards he broke his 'rope' and charged. I yelled (screamed) for the owner to control his dog. My wife held both our G.S. while I ran toward the Lab. I was able to grab him without incident..........he wanted to play. I lead him to his trailer and tied his 'string' leash, all the time pounding on the trailer door. After a few minutes the owner appeared in his underwear. Confused, drunk or both he demanded to know the problem as his dog was still 'tied up'. (It was 1000 hrs.)
  I can understand ones feeling when approached by a 'charging' dog.
  I do not carry a weapon to walk my dogs. Brandishing a weapon to intimidate an animal is preposterous. To issue threats with gun in hand can prove deadly.
.............So you just discharged you weapon at a loose dog. Maybe you hit him, maybe you didn't. Innocent people in RVs behind paper thin walls, kids playing& parents BBQing, who catches that round? And the inevitable: another guy with a gun challenging your actions................ maybe dog bites aren't so bad.

Today paper has an article where the family pet, that was raised from a puppy , was as gentle as could be and got along well with children, attacked the homeowners child, then attacked the mother then a neighbor that was trying to help the child, the mother may be crippled for life. Last month the a family pet dog attacked the homeowners child and killed the child, the month before that in the paper a family pet dog tore the face of of this families son,
I will state again; a large loose dog running towards me, and I had a gun----dead dog.
When the dog lovers can get their dogs to talk like a human, then and only then will I trust a loose dog running towards me.

seilerbird said:
Could you post a photo of you doing that handstand?

Sorry, Tom, it was back when I was in high school. And, no, I will not try to recreate the handstand with Gordon biting my ankle and Mike taking a picture .... you'd probably end up with a picture of me falling on my head and Gordon trying to help. :)

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
One of the things I really dislike, and you'll find a lot of dog trainers don't appreciate them either, is the retractable leash.  Some of them go 20' or more.  Marsha~

For close training... heeling, sit, down, stay, etc I sorta agree (most retractable leashes are lockable) but for the most critical command that I know, "come"; a close leash is useless, a fishing line is better and a retractable leash is even better.  The option to let the dog go away from me and barely realize that something is attached to him/her, then hear the command, "come"; then if he/she doesn't respond immediately, then you can retract the line/leash and when the dog returns, they get praise and, if necessary, a small snack.  This command, along with "stay" and "no", is really important to me.  Especially around here, with many coyotes, skunks, other dogs, horses, rabbits, a few bears and lots of hawks.  If they do "come" when called, it will save their life and it keeps me much more calm.  In a CG, I keep them close until we get to a dog run and then the "come" command comes in handy.  Close leashes are fine in a CG,  but I have to find a place to let them run or somehow dissipate some of their energy or they will go nuts.

melvonnar said:
Today paper has an article where the family pet, that was raised from a puppy , was as gentle as could be and got along well with children, attacked the homeowners child, then attacked the mother then a neighbor that was trying to help the child, the mother may be crippled for life.

What type of dog was it?

-Don-​

melvonnar, you said....
I will state again; a large loose dog running towards me, and I had a gun----dead dog.
  ???  :eek:

You've been pretty tough on the "dog-lovers" on this forum, some by name, dog owners in general and dogs particularly. Now, if a large dog is running your direction - and you have a gun - dead dog! I have met a lot of people who really should not own dogs. Now, I  have met one that shouldn't own a gun.  :(  Hopefully?  ::) 

Ray D.  :mad:

"a large loose dog running towards me, and I had a gun----dead dog."

I am in large off-leash dog parks almost every day and have had countless strange large dogs run up to me.

When they do, I pet them!

-Don-​

Ray D said:
melvonnar, you said....  ???  :eek:

You've been pretty tough on the "dog-lovers" on this forum, some by name, dog owners in general and dogs particularly. Now, if a large dog is running your direction - and you have a gun - dead dog! I have met a lot of people who really should not own dogs. Now, I  have met one that shouldn't own a gun.  :(  Hopefully?  ::) 

Ray D.  :mad:

I had a close friend that was a police officer; he gave me same advice; Shoot first don't wait to see if the large  dog is going to bite you, by the time the dog has you down and is gnawing at your throat its to late.
He said that dog owners will NEVER admit that their large dog would bite. He said, always assume that the dog coming toward you has every intention of attacking you.
my statement stands.
And yes I do carry. All you dog owners take notice if your dog is running loose it could be shot.I don't dislike dogs; just the arrogant owners that let their dogs free run, and that includes those that use the real them in handles.

A more likely scenario might be you wildly waving your arms, wetting yourself, screaming like an eight year old, yelling "get him off me" while the dog is still 10 feet away wagging his tail.  BTW - fumbling with a gun at a time like this would not make the situation any safer.

When the dog  finally calmed down ;) .  I'm sure you could muster up that deep manly voice you always wished you had and declare, "I shuda shot the SOB".  8) ::)

Meanwhile, the dog is thinking, "I should have run faster,,,, that poor insecure fella went completely bonkers before I could get there to help".

"maybe next time....." ???

I love your thinking Porky, in my opinion, if it were my dog, he should be more worryed about ME carrying than about the dog.>>>Dan

Melvonnar, If you don't mind me asking, where do you go camping?  What state and if you could be so kind as to tell me what campgrounds?  I just don't want to be in the same campground.  I understand your stance, I just think your a little unreasonable, you're not even willing to say that if the dog is wagging his tail you would think differently.  A dog that is coming to attack you looks totally different than a dog that is coming to you to be friendly.  My dogs are friendly and think that everybody wants to pet them, and even the absolute best dog owner is going to make a mistake.  I just feel that a campground is not a place for a firearm to be discharged or carried with that intention, there are too many kids and innocent people around.  if you don't want to tell me which campgrounds you RV in at least tell me which state and general area, I'll avoid it.

Stewie Griffin said:
Melvonnar, If you don't mind me asking, where do you go camping?  What state and if you could be so kind as to tell me what campgrounds?  I just don't want to be in the same campground.  I understand your stance, I just think your a little unreasonable, you're not even willing to say that if the dog is wagging his tail you would think differently.  A dog that is coming to attack you looks totally different than a dog that is coming to you to be friendly.  My dogs are friendly and think that everybody wants to pet them, and even the absolute best dog owner is going to make a mistake.  I just feel that a campground is not a place for a firearm to be discharged or carried with that intention, there are too many kids and innocent people around.  if you don't want to tell me which campgrounds you RV in at least tell me which state and general area, I'll avoid it.

Stewie
I hate to tell you this but your going to have to give up camping; I have covered every state in the lower 48 many times, I travel approx 4 to 5 months a year and I don't have any set place I go, I just criss cross the US and stop when I see something that interests me.
Stewie: as long as you keep your dogs on a 6 foot leash you have no fear that I will harm your dogs. Turn them loose and your taking a chance.To me a loose dog is like a loaded pistol in a child's hand.

Looking for a nice dog?  I noticed today in our local paper that a neat dog was available for adoption. 2 years old and trainable, they say. The best of 2 worlds..tough but gentle, likes people unless he doesn't like you, will eat anything, etc.

He was a mix of a Rottie and German Shepherd. Just what I was looking for after losing "Panda" our sissy Shi-Tsu.

Guess what..No thank-you. 

carson FL

melvonnar said:
Stewie
I hate to tell you this but your going to have to give up camping; I have covered every state in the lower 48 many times, I travel approx 4 to 5 months a year and I don't have any set place I go, I just criss cross the US and stop when I see something that interests me.
Stewie: as long as you keep your dogs on a 6 foot leash you have no fear that I will harm your dogs. Turn them loose and your taking a chance.To me a loose dog is like a loaded pistol in a child's hand.

Understood, however, accidents do happen and if one of my huskies gets loose for whatever reason I would expect that my fellow campers would help me coral him/her but it sounds like you would just shoot it and I think most people you talk to will tell you that that is the wrong attitude to take, if you firmly believe that the dog is coming to hurt you then that's a different story but you're telling me that it doesn't matter and that's not even bringing up the fact that you have a loaded weapon while walking around a campground which is normally a low crime area.  I would think you would cause more trouble for yourself with your method because I know I'm not the only one that would come after you if you shot my dog, loaded gun or not, nothing good could come out of that situation.  Am I the only one who walks the campground without the dog to check it out before i bring the dog along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom