Airstream Interstate to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayneskid

I have purchased a shiny new 2010 Airstream Interstate 3500 (2008 Sprinter chassis) and will be driving it from Oregon to Anchorage in mid to late April. I?ve driven both the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar a few times before but this is different. I?m really excited to get my hands on this rig and hit the road but I?m a little nervous about some aspects of the trip. The vehicle is brand new and I?m to sure what to expect in terms of early problems especially knowing that good Sprinter techs. will be few (non-existent) once I leave the US. The vehicle will go on a shakedown run from Eugene to Boise to Seattle so it will have over 1K miles on it before I depart Seattle so hopefully the early problems will have already popped up and been resolved.

Here are my questions:
? What can I expect for road conditions in the later part of April for the Alaska and Cassiar highways? My previous trips were in the summer or the dead of winter (that on was interesting!)
? Are there any especially good RV centers along the way for parts & accessories and/or service? I?m interested in any places in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington as well as in BC. I don?t necessarily expect Sprinter or Airstream Interstate experience particularly in Canada.
? Any experiences with AS Interstate that might be helpful?
? Are there any especially good resources for helping me plan this trip?
? Am I, as my wife claims, slightly out of my mind to be doing this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments,
WS in AK

That's quite early to be driving to AK.  Your biggest problem may be in finding open campgrounds.  Be prepared to do a lot of boondocking.  Also, the roads will probably be in bad shape from the frost heaves and repairs won't have begun.

I think the only major cities past the border will be Prince George, maybe Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, and Anchorage. Breakdowns elsewhere will include waits for air freight.

I realize that this thread is a bit old but since I will be doing my Alaska Adventure in the not too distant future I was wondering how "wayneskid" made out with his trip.

Did you have any problems?? If so were you able to get them resolved in a timely and hopefully affordable manner??

Just wondering??

Karsty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom