Toilet pedal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I have a Sealand Traveler toilet.  Although water pressure to sinks is fine, pressure to toilet suddenly practically stopped after the drive to AZ from OR.  I haven't used the MH in a month, so I was cleaning out the toilet and pressed down on the pedal. It trickled, then suddenly spurt hard, then immediately went back to trickling.  Hasn't spurted again.  I thought I might take the plastic pedal off to see what it's pressing down and whether I can fix something.  Or would there be something inside the downtube that isn't opening or closing correctly?  Both water running into the toilet and water in the hose are trickling.  This toilet worked fine until the trip.  Maybe something stowed on the floor bumped the pedal, or something skewed on the way.  Don't know what I got that spurt, though.  Sure raised my hopes for a fraction of a second.

Any ideas what and how to check?

--pat

This blockage is often caused by growth of fungus in the fresh-water tank and in the lines.

When it happens on mine, I

1. Turn off the water
2. Remove the commode -- just a couple of 1/2" nuts holding the base down to the floor.
3. Carefully turn on the water pump, while covering the line or directing it into the black tank.
4. If water flows normally, the stoppage is probably in the commode valve. The valve may have to be replaced, but probably can be cleaned and re-installed.
5. Drain, flush, and sanitize the fresh-water system as the manuals instruct.

If there's a blockage in the commode line, there are likely more near-blockages in other lines. Bleach will kill the fungus and sanitize the lines. I just pour a cup of bleach in the disconnected supply hose, then hook it up and force the bleach into the tank, then let the pump run it through the system -- about once per year.

I'm sure there will be some nervous nellies who advise against use of chlorine; You may want to ask a pro for advice.

The fresh-water system should be flushed regularly to avoid the problem.

And then there's the possibility that the pedal is not going fully to the floor, due to a rug or . . .

How long has it been since you hugged your commode? Well, that's too long.

I would guess the flush valve (which is operated by the pedal) is either clogged or defective. You will have to remove and inspect it to see (shut off the water supply first!).  As was suggested above, once the water line has been disconnected, direct the supply line into a container and flip the pump on for a moment. That will quickly tell you whether water is reaching the valve OK.

Back
Top Bottom