Restoring a slide in camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfdaddy

I posted in the slide camper forum by mistake.  I just was given a 1961 GMC truck and camper by a friend who's grandfather bought it new.  I've just finished restoring a 1958 14ft runabout boat and am about to finish a 1970 Volkswagen Squareback for my daughters fist car. He has followed the work I've been doing so he talked to his parents and they decided that I don't seem to have enough projects or too much energy and asked if I would takethe truck and restor it. Just keep giving them pictures along the way. 

So, has anyone heard of or is involved in RV restore clubs or groups. I've found a bunch of info for the boat and VW but very little on RVs.  This would be my 3rd RV project. this first was a early 60's 14ft travel trailer, the second was a 1973 Harvest 22ft class C.

The truck only has 77K miles but the windows on the camper leak so there is a fair amount of water damage around the windows and vents.  I think it would be a fun project since there is the automotive and wood working aspects.  Looking forward to getting started on this in the next month or so.

I think it would look cool if you could use updated materials to make it look original.

The interior is ash compaired to birch the was normally used. This will look really good when re-varished.  I try and make things as original as possible. Which is what my idea of restoring is all about. Bringing things back to as original as you can.  Other than the water damage, which I think will require gutting the inside studs and replacing most of them, the interior is in really good shape.  Just cleaning, refinishing, repairing.  It has a Dometic fridge and a propane stove. I think the only heat is from the propane lamp / lantern on the wall. Kind of scary with the carbonmonoxide when that was running. I'll post some pictures very soon.  I think I'll have to deviate from total restoration with the truck since it still has the 15" split rims and tube tires ( I'll find some stock 16" and see if the stock hubcaps will fit). Truck needs a lot of work also. But that's the fun of it.

Back
Top Bottom