California July /August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geffers

Hi, everyone.

We have just joined this forum and i initially posted an item about the trip we where going to undertake in a rented RV from Cruise America. I was to say the least a little taken aback by the number of posts saying we were mad and we were trying to do to much. So, with this in mind we have altered out itinerary and will now just be visiting California and not doing the Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce and the like.

We pick up our RV 19Th July from Los Angeles and we drop it off 12Th August in San Fransisco. We are a family of four with boys aged 13 & 10.

Send me your best ideas of places to visit and possible route with the best RV campsites you can think of. I have listened to those of you who said we were doing to much, so its over to you.

Monterey. Superb aquarium. I like the CG overlooking the laguna seca racetrack atop a hill just east of Monterey on hywy 68.

Out of LA follow 101 to Santa Barbara and N to hywy 1 along the coast to san simone for the Hearst castle. Furthere N is Big Sur...check as to road conditions. It is a windy mountainous route subject to landslides in another season.

I lived in California for 30 years and here are my two ideas. There are two places to stay away from in California in July and August. The Mojave Desert and the San Joaquin Valley. The temperature will be over 100 most every day in both places.

The trip I would recommend most is the Highway 1 California Coast. Start at San Diego and stay on Highway 1 all the way to Crescent City (actually you would be on 101 for the last hundred miles. The list of high points along the way is almost endless. San Diego Zoo and Marine World, Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve, Catalina Island, Morro Bay, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Point Reyes National Seashore, Redwood National Park.

The second trip would start in LA and then head for the Sierras. The high points would be Sequoia National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, Yosemite National Park, Lake Tahoe, Lassen National Park, Mount Shasta and then San Francisco.

Either trip is easy to do in 25 days. Both trips will have spectacular weather the entire time, guaranteed, and either trip would be one of the high points of your life because of the spectacular scenery. California has 8 National Parks, more than any other state except Alaska, which also has 8. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for all that Tom. I must admit we where a little dipondant after our earlier posting when everyone said we were trying to do to much. Its just that your country is so big with so many awesome things to see, and i can't afford to come over all the time. this is our trip of a lifetime and we want to make the most of every day we are there.

we are looking at doing the Yosemite part of your idea in the RV and then when we droop it off in San Fransisco we are hiring a car for the week and coming down Highway 1 (Big Sur) back to La. we have 5 days to do that.

Do you have any suggestions in Camp grounds we should stay at or avoid?

Geoff. :)

Back
Top Bottom