Your opinion of these options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagage46

I will finally be ordering my new Aspect 30C B+ next week and cannot decide if I should include the following options in my order. If you have any of these options on your RV (or wish you did) please tell me what you do or don't like about it and if you would order it again.

1) Pleated cab window blinds.

2) Dual glazed windows.

3) Powered vent - bedroom.

4) Ideal Rest? memory foam mattress

I appreciate the great advice I've received from my previous post's here and also from other topics in this forum. I'm coming to the well (of experience) one more time.

Jim

In my humble opinion, numbers 1, 2, and 3 are very useful and worth the $.  If #4 is the air mattress, for me it is a waste of money.  Memory foam to me is very uncomfortable as well.  I move too much at night, and I don't want the bed to remember what position I was in 5 minutes ago :eek:

Sarge

1) Pleated cab window blinds.
Not really sure exactly what these are in this case ...if it is the pleated curtain that pulls across the windshield it is better than nothing. The one that came in our Class A wasn't all that great, but it did keep the neighbors from seeing inside the coach at night!!! We have since replaced it with MCD shades.

2) Dual glazed windows.
Would not be w/o them!! ...they make a great deal of difference in temp (both hot and cold) and also do not sweat rivers like single pane can do in cold weather.

3) Powered vent - bedroom.
We love our powered vents (powered in that they have a powered fan, AND they have power lifts so they can be opened/closed from a wall control) ...one was not powered from the wall and I had to update it as the DW had trouble reaching the manual controls to open/close it!

4) Ideal Rest? memory foam mattress
Have never used one...

The dual pane windows are a must. They keep it quieter inside and they keep the temperature cooler or warmer by far than single pane windows. They also help quite a bit with the condensation since the glass is not as cold. It adds weight and lowers your carrying capacity however. I would never have an RV without dual pane windows.

The bathroom fan is also great. It will cover noise in that room, will eliminate odors and also helps ventilate the RV if you have another window open. Definitely worth the money.

Ditto for Sarge, Paul & Doug.  I don't think I would like a memory foam mattress either. 

For some reason I think Winnie completely stopped using Select Comfort ('Sleep Number bed') - it was standard in our Horizon and I think an option on the Vectra.  Wasn't sure how I would like it, but after 55,000 miles, we love it and would like one for the stick house.  Skip the foam mattress and retrofit a Sleep Number bed - I think any Camping World could fix you up.

I'd get them all, even the memory foam mattress.  We got a 3" memory foam topper and now it is a very comfortable bed.  I guess if you move a lot, not; but, the memory only lasts about 10 seconds or maybe longer depending on temperature.  It isn't on your list but window tinting is also helpful.  Also a vent cover so you can leave the B'room vent open even when it is raining. 

I absolutely would not go to bed without a memory foam topper on the top.  It's been a life saver for me.  Living with fibromyalgia, it's really helped with a great night's sleep.  You can purchase a 3" topper for pretty cheap just to try it out.  We have a really nice bed in our MH but I'm like the Princess and the Pea - can feel every thread and button that mattress has.

Relative to the powered vent, do some research, ask some questions....make sure it is a quality product and not an el-cheapo.  The cheaper ones tend to have a lot of "air noise" and rotate at significant speeds whereas a quality unit like Fan-tastic will offer multiple speeds and even a "rain sensor" which closes the lid automatically if it rains.

If the optional fan is the high speed, noisy, small diameter ~6" fan which just sits above the screen and not in a cowl, then I think I'd go for the standard vent and maybe retro-fit with a quality fan unit.

Thanks for all the points of view. You have convinced me to order the tinted and dual pane windows. I can retro fit the bedroom vent with power if i see I need it, and I will hold off on upgrading the standard mattress  until we see if it is satisfactory or not. Thanks again for your input.

Jim

jagage46 said:
Thanks for all the points of view. You have convinced me to order the tinted and dual pane windows. I can retro fit the bedroom vent with power if i see I need it, and I will hold off on upgrading the standard mattress  until we see if it is satisfactory or not. Thanks again for your input.

Jim

Jim,
We at Route 66 RV offer a wide variety of mattresses, but our most popular option is our latex mattress known as the "The California" - an alternative to memory foam.  Although we offer memory foam as well, latex mattresses offer all the positive sides to memory foam without the issues most RV owners become familiar with.

Among those issues are the following:

1.) A memory foam mattress' comfort is derived from its ability to conform to your body.  While very comfortable at first, most of us move a lot when we sleep, and memory foam fails to fill in those areas that previously conformed to your original position.  As a result, you fall back into the same space you created earlier - a vicious cycle during a long night!

2.) Memory foam mattresses get very hot and soft in warm weather and very hard and stiff in cold weather - in both cases, never breathing all that well.  While there are bamboo covers that resist the breathability of the mattress - it's still lacking in this area.

3.) Lastly, these mattresses are typically single sided, and while you can twist the mattress around to prolongue the integrity of it, it's nice to have a mattress you can flip as well.

The latex option is a great one in that it conforms to your body with ease but springs back when you move or get up.  It's not susceptible to the elements, as it breathes well in both warm and cold climates, with dry or wet conditions.  And, it's double sided with a 6" base of latex and cushioned toppers on both sides, so you can flip it all you want!

It's also firm enough for those with back trouble - a common concern for many of our customers.

Check out this option as well as the many others on the web.  While buzz words like Tempurpedic and others swarm the Internet, do your due diligence to actually lay on the bed for more than just a few seconds or a couple minutes.  And move around on it when you do so!

Grant,

Thanks so much for your experienced point of view. That is what I was hoping for from my post. If we decide we need to upgrade our mattress, you will be our first contact.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom