Scooter Platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewagner

Good morning all:

I have recently acquired a new scooter. It weighs about 450 lbs and I am wondering what sort of rack I could get to carry this thing on the back of my RV.

I have a Starflyte and would like to have a platform which would fit into/onto the trailer hitch. Would rather not tow as a toad if I don't have to.

Would this be too much weight for the vehicle and would I possibly need to have extra springs installed?

Any thoughts any of you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and regards,

Leo Wagner

Leo

Several forum members carry their motorcycle or scooter on the back of their RV, so hopefully one of them will jump in with recomendations.

Hitch Hauler (TM) carriers are rated at 500 lbs...The problem however is the depth of the rack,19" if memory serves

Elaine's Motor Chair is over 20inches,won't fit on the HH rack w/o modification (I haven't decided if I'll modify or not, E's not family but the mod is easy to do, 3/4 Inch plywood and a couple of4x4 strips)

lewagner,

I carry a 745 pound motorcycle on an Overbilt lift.  The lift itself weighs about 200 pounds.  I am not familiar with your type rv but I have been told that gas m/h do not have a strong enough frame to use this lift as it is frame mounted.    Go to overbiltlifts.com and look at theirs.

lewagner said:
Good morning all:

I have recently acquired a new scooter. It weighs about 450 lbs and I am wondering what sort of rack I could get to carry this thing on the back of my RV.

I have a Starflyte and would like to have a platform which would fit into/onto the trailer hitch. Would rather not tow as a toad if I don't have to.

Would this be too much weight for the vehicle and would I possibly need to have extra springs installed?

Any thoughts any of you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and regards,

Leo Wagner

Leo,

You didn't say what kind of a RV you have. Remember that any weight added to the back of the RV removes weight from the front axle. If not done right you may have a handling problem. I'm attaching a spreadsheet that will make figuring this out easy.

Attachments

• W&B.xls
    14 KB · Views: 29
Well, I said Starflyte, assuming that that would be enough. It looks a bit like a Chinook and is about the same size (but not as sleek).

That weight off the front end is something I hadn't considered. I guess it would not be the same as having a couple of heavy weight persons in the far back(g).

I knew if I asked some of you experts I'd get some good replies.

Thanks for the spread sheet. And thanks in advance for all the replies.

Regards,

leo Wagner

The hitch receiver on your RV will have a capacity rating, usually given as Class III, Class IV, etc. These classes translate to a towing capacity and adirect weight carrying capacity. For example, Class III is usually defined as 5000 lb pulling and 500 lbs carrying, though some brands will go as much as 6000 & 600.  You reallly need to learn the capacity of your receiver and whether the Rv manufacturer has attached it such that the full capacity is in fact available. 

From what I can deduce from a Google search, Starflyte appears to be a model from Coachman and is a Class C type.  Class C's are often built on a pick-up or van chassis that is barely adequate for the weight of the motorhome body. They may also have an extension added to the back end of the chassis to lengthen the RV and these extensions are sometimes not as strong as they could be.  You will want to check with Coachman/Starflyte to learn how they rate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom