Camper Queen to Full Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99blackz

Is it possible and what would it take to convert a camper queen (60x74) into a full queen (60x80)?  Obviously the mattress, but what structurally?  Could you just add some extra support under the end of the bed, or would the entire base need to be changed out?

I think the problem with a new base for the longer mattress is if your bed is in the slide it might hit the cabinets when the slide is in. It also makes the walk around space that much narrower. I had heard of people putting an extension that would swing down when the slide is pulled in. A fold up or removable brace of some sort would be necessary to support the extension.

You probably don't need any support under the last 6" of mattress. Unless you are tall and have really heavy feet.  ;)

When we had a coach with the short queen, we just  slid the mattress down 6" and inserted a 6" wide piece of thick foam at the head of the bed (under the pillow area). Voila! Instant full queen at minimal cost.  If the longer mattress takes up too much room during the day or makes it awkward to close a slide, simply remove the head spacer during the day and slide the mattress back to the top.

Thanks for the info guys!  I think what Gary said would work perfectly!  I am 6'4" and hang off the end of the bed quite far, so the extension, for me, is a must.  In our case there is no slide in the picture so that would not be a problem. 

I will give the foam extension a try!  Thanks!

We put a full queen memory foam in our fifth wheel with slide. it hits the cabinets at end when slide is in but does not effect any operation. If you do not have a slide it should not be a problem unless your room at end to walk around is already tight. We had the same mattress in a non slide fifth wheel before without any problems or extra support. just swapped them out in both. we actually sit on the end of the bed now with computer on vanity dressers. We did not need to add any support.

I should have stated that  that  we have a sleep # mattress. I was told that it would not be good for it to hang over the end of the bed and also be careful when sitting on the end of the bed with that kind of mattress. We like the mattress and thought that if we upgraded to a newer coach (one with a short queen bed) we would take that mattress with us. Under those circumstances we were advised that an extension of the bed platform would probably be necessary. But alas, I would agree that with a regular mattress sliding it down and adding a piece at the head would function well. ;D

I just bought a used class A. The people that had it before me put in a piece of foam as Gary described and then made an extention out of plywood. The extention overlaps the original brace enough to give plenty of support without needing any extra legs. I'm going to replace the mattress soon and will just buy a nice full size queen to replace it. It's sooooo much easier (and WAY cheaper) to buy full size queen sheets anyway. Not to mention a better quality bed at a more reasonable price.

I don't have a slide in the bedroom, so the extention makes it a smidge tight. It's not like that extra 5-6" would make it big enough to party in anyway  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom