Why the Nesbitts are Staying Home until May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

Last year (2009), Mary Ann and I had had about enough of the winter season and family stresses and jumped on the chance to attend the 2009 Texas Hill Country Rally.

The Rally was scheduled for very early April, so we left about the 3rd week in March, planning a leisurely trip across the South to Texas.  As we approached Birmingham, AL, we saw the first blooming Dogwoods of the year and I had the first revelation that we had left NC just in time to miss my very favorite month of the year in NC,-- April, with the blossoming of the many Spring flowers, shrubs and trees that abound across the Carolinas.

Despite having a wonderful time in Spring Branch, TX, and enjoying the company of both old and new RV friends, I vowed that next year we would not leave NC until around May 1!

Several weeks ago we received notice of the 2010 Texas Hill Country Rally and, remembering the good times and friends from last year, I admit to wavering slightly but we stuck to our guns and stayed the course.

Here are some pictures of our rewards for staying true:

Attachments

• Sm Daffodil Line.jpg
    Sm Daffodil Line.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Sm Daffodil.jpg
    Sm Daffodil.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Sm Lenten Rose.jpg
    Sm Lenten Rose.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Sm Bells.jpg
    Sm Bells.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Sm Bradford Pears.jpg
    Sm Bradford Pears.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Sm Jane Magnolia.jpg
    Sm Jane Magnolia.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Don, there's still time to get here and we have room.  The Bluebonnets are in bloom.

That's not all!

Attachments

• Sm Redbud.jpg
    Sm Redbud.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Sm Orn Cherry.jpg
    Sm Orn Cherry.jpg
    821.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Sm Crown Vetch.jpg
    Sm Crown Vetch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Sm Flowering Hedge.jpg
    Sm Flowering Hedge.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Sm Wisteria.jpg
    Sm Wisteria.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Sm Crown Vetch Rt 64.jpg
    Sm Crown Vetch Rt 64.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 11
But wait!  There's more!

None of these specimens are from a nursery or arboretum.  They are just common flowers, bushes and trees that we see every time we drive around our neighborhood, town, city and countryside!

If you like these, tune in the Masters Golf Tournament next week and be treated to the flowering season at its peak.

In the next couple of weeks, the Dogwoods and Azaleas will reach their peak and we'll send you some pics of those, too.

Hope you all are well and enjoying Spring wherever you are.

Don and Mary Ann

PS.  Those are not flowers on the pine tree.  Those are pine cones-to-be loaded with yellow pollen!

Attachments

• Sm Orn Cherry Aiken.jpg
    Sm Orn Cherry Aiken.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Red Dogwood and Forsythia.jpg
    Red Dogwood and Forsythia.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • SM First Azaleas.jpg
    SM First Azaleas.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Sm Pine Pollen.jpg
    Sm Pine Pollen.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Sm Driveway View.jpg
    Sm Driveway View.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 13
That pine pollen is a good reason NOT to be in the south in March/April ! Ahhhh-choooo !

Wendy

Lovely!  My sister lived near Greenville SC and we were there one year when the azaleas were ablaze in her neighborhood.  In fact we drove my mother down there from Pittsburgh in April and it was absolutely beautiful the entire drive.

ArdraF

Don:

One of the most beautiful memories I have of our years of living in PA was going to Valley Forge in April and seeing all the dogwoods and daffodils in bloom.  It was simply gorgeous.  There, we also had a beautiful full grown flowering magnolia, with a wisteria draped wrap around front porch and day lilies bordering the porch.  They all bloomed at the same time and the sight from the street was absolutely breath taking and the perfume throughout the house was magnificent, since I'd be having the house wide open to air out the winter air.  We loved it there.  :)

Daisy

More reasons to be in NC in April!

All of these pictures were taken in our or our immediate neighbor's yard. Many others in the area, as well as many parks and wild lands, have even better displays.

The "backyard azaleas" are just what we hoped for when we planted them 22 years ago.

This is just a very small sample of the bountiful beauty that surrounds us this time of year!

Don and Mary Ann

Attachments

• sm redbud 1.jpg
    sm redbud 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • sm dogwood 1.jpg
    sm dogwood 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • sm dogwood 2.jpg
    sm dogwood 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • sm Mountain Laurel.jpg
    sm Mountain Laurel.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • sm Backyard Azaleas 1.jpg
    sm Backyard Azaleas 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • sm Backyard Azaleas 2.jpg
    sm Backyard Azaleas 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • sm Iris.jpg
    sm Iris.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • sm Japanese Maples.jpg
    sm Japanese Maples.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Really Gorgeous!  And we can see why you would want to enjoy this beautiful season back home.  Your pictures have brought back some wonderful memories.  Thanks for sharing.

Daisy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom