Generator conversion (from LP to Diesel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayincorrales

Hello to the group -

I am considering a new View 24K, and due to the fact that my wife and I dry camp on at least three occasions in cold weather, I want the generator to be fueled by diesel and not LP. It seems the LP generator is the more common, one dealer told me that a conversion from LP to Diesel was nearly impossible, while another told me "it is no big deal".

I am looking for inputs from the group, to me it would seem to be a fairly complex operation since the input lines would need to be changed from the LP tank to the diesel fuel tank and then the old input LP line would need to be removed in a manner that would not lead to future problems.

Thanks,

Ray

Just looked at www.winnebagoind.com 2010 View and you can order one with the diesel option. 
24A, 24K, 24J, 24P Optional Equipment :  3,200-watt Cummins Onan? diesel generator

I was told the diesel genny will cost a few thousand more than the LP on a new View or Navion order...if you really want a diesel genny get it with the purchase of the MH.

Jim

Thanks....I should have mentioned that I know the diesel gen is an option, but we are looking at units already on the ground in dealerships.

I've been told that all the 2008 chassis (that are used on the 2010 Winnebagos) are gone and thus we'd have to order a 2011 View with the new 2010 chassis with the new Urea tank and all that unknown business...when we tried to price out a new order, the dealer came back to me and said that the 2011 prices are not available yet. So we're in a bit of an odd spot timing wise.

Thanks again.

Ray

I would say if the diesel option is a few thousand more than a LP generator it would probably cost at least that or more to convert it...if that is even possible?
Why do you need a diesel generator? Cold weather...how cold? If it is much below 20 degrees for any length of time you can forget about using water...

Jim

Have you looked online for any 10 24K's? There are some available though you probably have to drive a few miles...here is one with a diesel genny.
http://www.winnebagorvsource.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=638778

Jim

I am willing to drive to complete a deal, but we also have a trade in so I am slightly concerned about the logistics of a long distance deal.

We want the diesel gen because during cold weather trips the LP would be providing our heat as well as our microwave power. Perhaps this would not tax the 13 gallon (WC) propane system, but if I had to go refill during a cold weather trip that would be a significant hassle.

During one of our recent cold weather trips to Amarillo, it was 21F over night!!

I was wondering if a conversion was really an option. I know that the price delta between LP and diesel is about $3.5k, so I can't imagine what the final conversion cost would be.

TTYL,

Ray

A diesel genny is considerably more fuel efficient than a propane or gas fueled gen set. If your chassis engine is diesel, a diesel genny is the only way to go.

Convert a propane/gas gen set to diesel? - :D  LOL  :D- Your salesman is smoking something not authorized.  That idea is so ridiculous I'm surprised that I'm even commenting on the prospect. Uh - no- that's not going to happen.

Buy the rig you want the way you want it equipped for the major stuff.

Ray, converting the LP generator to Diesel means junking the LP unit and buying a diesel unit and then paying someone to remove/install, replumb, etc.  I think the others have the right idea.  Order what you want and forget about buying an "on the lot vehicle with LP generator" and then converting to diesel.  I suspect you'll be money ahead by ordering a diesel generator from the git go.

As Bob Smith says, there is no "conversion" to diesel because it is an entirely different engine. You remove the LP genset and replace with a diesel genset which you bought at full retail price (not the $3500 difference). This also means you add the plumbing to draw fuel from the coach diesel fuel tank, no small chore in itself.  Hopefully someone buys the LP genset from you some day and you recover some of your cost. Or maybe the dealer takes in it trade on the diesel genset.

In short, it's not a practical idea.

Conversion from LP to gasoline is a more practical matter, since the genset is the same and you merely need to replace the fuel system components. Still have to deal with plumbing to the gasoline tank, though.

I agree with you re the LP genset, though. An LP genset is going to be a pain if you need to use it for extended periods in cold weather - they suck a lot of propane.But is the fuel tank on the View big enough to support extensive use of the generator too? It's only a 25 gallon tank, so if you arrive with less than a full tank of diesel, you are going to run short there too.

Thanks guys,

The View has the sprinter chassis and is equipped with the Mercedes diesel engine. I was surprised / shocked when the person suggested it was "no problem" to convert from LP to Diesel generator. I immediately wondered how they were going to replumb the input fuel source from the LP tank to the diesel fuel line.

In my mind, this dealer is now a very low probability, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't dismissing something was truly possible.

Thanks again.

Ray

One thing to think about, a LP gen will be very clean burning probably without much odor like the diesel would put out.  You could carry a extra tank of propane if you purchase an entended stay outfit for your Views lp tank.  That would cost you less than $200.00.

Who ever said no big deal had no clue.  Obviously it is not a replace fuel option, but replace gen option.  Then putting new fuel pickup in tank.  Big Deal for sure.  Expensive fr sure. 

Best bet is to find one with the diesel gen in it.  They halted production of diesel gen units for a short time, I would have to check when, but I remember early 08.  I would try to find a late 08 or 09. 

It's me again...believe it or not, I looked again on Sunday AM and I found the desired floor plan in a 2009 Navion unit that is only 800 miles away. We've agreed on the price and now the last thing to agree upon is the trade in. So I'm pretty confident that we'll get what we are looking for without having to do any major surgery. (The unit I'm looking at now has the diesel generator.)

Thanks to all, if this works out I'll post again!!

Ray

I've been away with work....but we found a 24A that we think will work well with our dogs. We do a lot of Agility competitions that are generally 2 or 3 day events. We will remove the recliner and use that extra room for crates.

We've put down a deposit and the unit is being delivered from southern CA to Albuquerque. Hopefully it will arrive this coming week....my wife and I are pretty excited, she never got use to driving our 36' Class A, and when we test drove a 24K View she found it very "easy" to drive.

We know it is not a Full Timer's solution, but we think it will work for us.

Thanks to the group for all the help and encouragement.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom