comments on a 97 winnebago adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

432batman1

thinking about trading in my 29ft wildcat 5th wheel for a 97 winnebago adventurer 34 ft its  super clean 23,000 miles with a ford 460 its set up perfect for what we intend to use it for. i would like some feedback about the winnebago and the 460. this would be my first class a ive always owned 5th wheels. thanks.

Hi 432batman1,

Welcome aboard. I can't help you much with input on the Ford setup because our Adventurer has the Chevy/workhorse combo but I can tell you that we are very happy with our Winnebago Adventurer. Granted there is some year difference between ours and the one you are mentioning but I have heard good things of older ones as well. If you hang in there I am sure that you will hear from others on their feel of exactly what you seek.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.
Dar

432batman1 said:
thinking about trading in my 29ft wildcat 5th wheel for a 97 Winnebago adventurer 34 ft its  super clean 23,000 miles with a ford 460 its set up perfect for what we intend to use it for. i would like some feedback about the winnebago and the 460. this would be my first class a ive always owned 5th wheels. thanks.

My Adventurer is a '96 on a Ford chassis. It had 30,000 when I bought it 3 years ago, and I now have about 55,000. Mine has the 15' slide, and I would not recommend purchase unless the one you are looking at has a slide. No sense going to a Class A if you would have to live in an aisle vs. a room when parked.

That said, I did have a problem with the slide after the 1st year. I had to replace the solenoids, and then later, one of the hydraulic plungers. Both were fairly expensive repairs. The slide and jacks have worked great since having the fixes done.

I also had a problem with the topper awnings on the slide windows. The original was one of those that the topper part was then extended to become the window awnings. It never worked right, and tended to come loose while driving. It became a real pain so I had it replaced by a separate topper and separate awnings for each slide window.

The Ford chassis has worked well. I get about 7.5 average mpg -- and am always pulling a 3500# Jeep Cherokee. That "is" the max tow limit, so a Grand Cherokee would not work.

Ford did a recall about a year ago on my chassis that I finally had done. It involved the cruise control release by pressing the brake pedal. There were cases that something went wrong and a fire ensued. The fix was to place a fuse in the line that stopped the cruise if necessary.

Have been a full-timer since '95 and have lived in a '94 Winny Brave, a Travel Trailer, a Fifth Wheel, and a 29'Class C Tioga. This rig is the first one that has caused me to stop going to RV shows looking for an RV that would satisfy my problems with the one I was living in at the time.

432batman1 said:
i would like some feedback about the winnebago and the 460.

I can comment about the 460 but not Winnebago (have a Fleetwood).  The motor was in production for a very long time, from 1968 to 1997 and who knows how many gazillions were produced, but I think it's longevity speaks for itself.  It's a brute that just keep on running; the worst thing I've heard about it is sometimes it will break an exhaust manifold bolt, my guess is it's a small percentage.  I haven't had it happen, myself.  Mine is a 1987 with 56,000 miles on it.  I'd rate it's popularity as high and reliability as taken for granted.  There's even an internet forum for the just the 460 (www.460ford.com) with almost 15,000 members, so that says something right there.

You could do worse for a powerplant.

Bob

We have a 96 Vectra, purchased a few years ago.  Very happpy with it.  The thing I have really learned to appreciate is that you can go online to Winnebago and get all the information for your  model year, includiing wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams, parts breakdowns, paint colors, etc.  Invaluable when trying to fix or troubleshoot something.  And if you do not understand a drawing, someone else will look it up and describe it to you.

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom