Computers before Microsoft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bksilver

IE8    - Try Firefox 

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Microsoft Office    - Try Open Office 

http://www.openoffice.org/

Both TOTALLY FREE !!!

Lets stop making Microsoft richer!

Just an opinion, NOT MEANT TO OFFEND or BASH!

Hmmm, another MS basher.  Well, I have no issues viewing the forum with IE8.  And I have MS Office as well, and have no major complaints.  I do use OpenOffice as well because free is almost always good.

Not necessarily a basher! As a matter of fact, I'm a "heavy" Microsoft user.

Just throwing out some other options for people that might not be familiar with some other options available.
A casual computer user might not want to shell out the bucks for such programs as the MS Office Suite, and Open Office would allow them to view, create and share documents, spreadsheets and such with the vast majority of other computer users.

And as you stated yourself, free is ALMOST always a good thang!

IE doesn't cost you anything, it's included in Windows.  There are many reasons for not using IE, but saving money isn't one of them :)

That is true, I stand corrected on IE. My free comment was more directed toward the MS Office Suite.
Maybe I really am a closet MS Basher!  ;D
I suppose admitting the problem is the 1st step  :-[

My preference is Firefox for a browser.

I have tried Firefox and still have it on my computer but I didn't find that it was better that IE8.

I do how ever use openoffice as the price of MS office is a little steep.

bksilver, I think you will find that there are many folks here who are quite computer savvy and well aware of the things you mention.

I know for a fact there are many firefox users, and I suspect open office users as well.

Don't just assume you've stumbled among a bunch of rubes.

Bashing anything, without specific cause, is not well received here.

Porky,

I never "assumed" anything, just threw out a thought.
As with all of my other posts, I have mentioned nothing but admiration for all the knowledge of the people on this forum and the feedback that I have received.
Certainly had NO intention of offending ANYONE and apologize if I did.

bksilver said:
How bout everyone just stops using Microsoft products whenever they can!

Lets stop making Microsoft richer!

Why should anyone stop using Microsoft products? If you don't like using them then feel free to stop, but why would you recommend someone else stop using Microsoft products? I have been using Windows since version 2.1 in 1987. I have had every major operating system MS has produced since then except for Bob. I love MS and I don't see anything wrong with their software.

Open source is not free by any stretch of the imagination. It would take me an enormous amount of time to switch to open source and my time is too valuable since there isn't one compelling reason to switch.

Lots of people think Microsoft is evil and they have no clue as to the history of  computing. Simply put, if MS had never existed you would be paying about $10,000 for that $500 laptop you own.

Tom

I agree with you, mostly :D . I have used MS products for a long time but am not afraid to use others. I sorely miss Lotus Smart Suite; Lotus 123, WordPro and Lotus Organizer are so much easier to use than MS Office. I am still having trouble trying to ween Marlene from them so I can upgrade her to W7.  I tried Open Office and didn't like it even more.

If Bill Gates had done something else, I don't see us paying $10,000 for a $500 laptop. Apple has done a very nice job and, tho more expensive than PCs, still way under that $10k figure. I'm sure IBM would have found another OS instead of MS if Gates hadn't sweet talked them into using MS. Can't remember the names but there were other OS's around when IBM came out with the PC, and I thought one or two were better than MS, but IBM was the standard bearer back then and that is what evolved.

bksilver said:
Not necessarily a basher! As a matter of fact, I'm a "heavy" Microsoft user.

Just throwing out some other options for people that might not be familiar with some other options available.
A casual computer user might not want to shell out the bucks for such programs as the MS Office Suite, and Open Office would allow them to view, create and share documents, spreadsheets and such with the vast majority of other computer users.

Seilerbird,

As I mentioned above, just threw out an option for other "newbies" to this site such as myself, mainly for the Open Office option. I too have been, and still utilize MS products since the days of DOS. If a new computer user (and there are still many) is not aware of other options, they might feel "forced" to spend $$ they don't need to.
I am very new to this site, and I guess I sparked a controversy, similar to the "dog thread" that I've read. Currently going to modify my original post, as it was late last night and I suppose I went on a rant.
True, without MS, computer technology would most likely not be where it is today at such reasonable pricing.
My original intention was not to bash.
Knowledge is power and I've been looking real close at a MAC since the pricing has been going down.

seilerbird said:
Lots of people think Microsoft is evil and they have no clue as to the history of  computing. Simply put, if MS had never existed you would be paying about $10,000 for that $500 laptop you own.

I agree with your opinions but not your conclusion.  If MS had not been around at that time it would have been someone else; most likely IBM with OS/2.  Novell was also getting into the operating system biz at that time.  MS blew both IBM and Novell out of the water with their marketing; something they continue to do to companies regularly.

Bob

Novell was in the server OS market, one that Microsoft has always had problems with.  For a file server based network, Novell was the gold standard.  Unfortunately they didn't keep up and had to move into the Linux market via acquisitions to stay alive.  They just finished (and won) a long, drawn out, legal battle with SCO over the Linux code rights and I'm sure that's hurt them financially.

Both MS and IBM are primarily marketing companies, but IBM did develop a lot of good technology, unlike MS that had to buy theirs.

Ned, yea, I used to love Novell, defended it to the death here at work until the odds were stacked way against continuing a Novell Network.  It was rock solid and very secure.

However they were also into the desktop OS business briefly, with their acquisition of Digital Research's OS, called DR DOS.  Very similar to IBM's PC-DOS, with a few neat extras.  But I suppose they saw the handwriting on the wall and abandoned it before it could evolve into a graphical OS.

Bob

edjunior said:
Hmmm, another MS basher. 

The top 50 oxymorons (notice the biggest one of all is listed last (number one):

50. act naturally
49. found missing
48. resident alien
47. advanced basic
46. genuine imitation
45. airline food
44. good grief
43  same difference
42. almost exactly
41. government organization
40. sanitary landfill
39. alone together