2001 Forest River TT I'm looking at for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Hi, all,

I haven't actually seen this trailer yet so my 2 questions are (a) is it worth going to look at (about a 3-hour drive r/t and plenty of other ways I'd rather spend my time if it's not a good trailer) and (b) what should I ask about/look for when looking at it.

We are a family of 3 (2 adults 1 kid) looking to start traveling with the plan of doing this part-time (a few week-long trips) for a year and then hopefully 1 year of full timing across the US.  We're reasonably handy and reasonably good at "roughing it," but not looking for problems and would like a rig where our adult kids or other friends could join us.  We'll be pulling with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 4wd / 10,000# towing cap and ~1500# carrying cap. 

The rig is visible here:  http://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/1671886014.html.  I've emailed the seller who tells me that he couldn't find the specs but went and weighed the trailer and that it's got a 5500# weight, 800# tongue weight. 

Thoughts/comments/concerns?  Thanks in advance for any you can offer.  We hope to find a used trailer with about this layout for no more than $10K (recognizing that older rigs will cost less but may be more "used up."

The Salem is a typical light duty trailer  intended for weekend and vacation use. Not top tier but not shabby either. Don't know how it would hold up full time, but great for weekend use.

Find out the exact model and check the Salem asking price in the NADA RV Guide (www.nadaguides.com). $6000 is probably average to maybe a bit high and usually private sales go closer to low book value. Don't be afraid to make a counter-offer.

Thanks, Gary.  I did get the model (27BHLT) but am a bit perplexed as to what options the trailer includes.  It does seem, though, that the asking price is (probably) above NADA.  Am mulling things over (and certainly appreciate your advice on making a lower offer).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom