Guard for Toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

I'm going to be towing my Honda, Fit behind my MH.  Any suggestions on what kind of guard to get to protect the front end of my Toad?  I was also wondering if mud flaps on the back wheels would do the job?
Thanks

Opinions will vary from nothing to a full cover bra on the toad. The latter is what I would have if I were towing on gravel roads (e.g. Alaska), by the way.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see the replies.

We have a full width Rock Guard but I think it is mostly for decoration. We don't have any problems with stone chips on the toad, though, at least not on major US highways.

Have a look here:  http://protectatow.tripod.com  I just ordered one because of a recommendation by the members on this site. Price was good and it looks like it will do the job and very easy to put on and take off.

Bill

RV Roamer said:
Opinions will vary from nothing to a full cover bra on the toad. The latter is what I would have if I were towing on gravel roads (e.g. Alaska), by the way.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see the replies.

We have a full width Rock Guard but I think it is mostly for decoration. We don't have any problems with stone chips on the toad, though, at least not on major US highways.

RV's seem to need "belts and suspenders" for everything... last time I was on the 101 toward SF, there were 8 lanes of traffic, going 75mph, really heavy traffic and I didn't notice one vehicle with "protection" against debris being thrownup from the vehicles ahead... but if an unoccupied vehicle follows closely behind a RV, now that calls for protection...  maybe so?

Protect-A-Tow!  Used one on our trip to Alaska and back last year, and it worked great.  It is relatively easy on and of, and doesn't require a lot of room to store.

We don't use anything and have had no problems as of yet. We don't even have the full width mud flap on the back of the motorhome, just mudflaps immediately behind the back wheels. With all the research I did do when initially preparing to tow I decided on the Protect-a-tow because of such high reviews but we haven't bought it because as I stated, no issues so I didn't want yet one more thing to deal with when hooking/unhooking. At this point I am not sure how necessary it is unless you drive on allot of gravel roads.
Dar

We have a full length mup flap and a Coastline car bra on the Vue.
Don't know if it is necessary or not, but I feel more comfortable that they are in place.

I hit a piece of rubber tire on the freeway that bent the mupflap back.  If the mudflap hadn't been
there to deflect it, it would have hit the front end of the car.  As it was, it kinda skipped down the
side of the car.  A little rubbing compound took it out though.

I bent our full-width mud flap (large forward-facing bend) while reversing on steep terrain. Some time later, my driver ran over a large truck-type muffler on the freeway; It went straight down the center of the coach, between the wheels, and I heard a loud thump. When we stopped, I expected to see damage to the front of the toad, but all I saw was a straightened-out full-width mud flap.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I thought about going without protection, but since the car is almost new, and it will have new a paint job on it for the second time in eight months, I've decided to go with Protect-a-Tow.  Some retarded A-holes threw paint remover on my toad and new truck twice.  The last time which was two weeks ago they also got my MH.  The first time they got my SUV along with the the toad and truck.  I was told by the police that this seems to be the latest form of vandalism.  Forget the really bad stuff like toilet papering your house.  The first time the damage was over $10,000.  This time it will probably be around $15,000.  Fortunately I have good insurance.  Who knows how long they will continue to insure me. 

Now that's nasty!  Maybe you need to have both totally wrapped in 3M film.  ::) That would take all their fun away.  We have 3M on the front of both cars and the motorhome and it helps a lot.  We also have a full-width mud flap and a plexiglas shield (no longer being made) on the front of the toad.  I've had rock damage on freeways because dump trucks tend to leave small pieces of debris along the way and passing cars kick it up.  I wonder if the Protect-A-Tow would help in that case.  I doubt it.

ArdraF

I thought about the 3M film.  I suspect  the paint remove would have made a mess of that also, and it is expensive.  i will let you know how well the Protect a Tow works when I get it.  One of the advantages is that it only weighs about 8lbs. which is a lot lighter than the other kind.

I use the Roadmaster rock shield.  It adds about 3-5 minutes to hook up and disconnect time.  It deflects rocks (whatever) downward in front of the tow car.  http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/protection_storage/protect_store.html
When not towing I just store it on the ground under the motorhome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom