Gunpowder, treason and plot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any truth to the rumor that they call you the Sheriff of Nottingham (as in the days of Robin Hood)?

Naah, I am the Republican running dog for the vile neo conservative conspiracy.  Why do you ask?

Tom said:
Anyone visiting, RVing or living in the UK on November 5th will be very aware of the saying:

Remember, remember, the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot.

We were in Wales (Bleanau Festinog (sp?)) the night of the 4th, and in England on the 5th and 6th.? Lots of fireworks all 3 nights.

Jeannine (travelling without the RV)

Jeannine said:
Lots of fireworks all 3 nights.

Hi Jeannine, just like here around July 4th when folks get their hands on some fireworks they can't wait to light them. Then they have leftovers to light on the 6th. Were the ones you saw private/family lightings, or were they organized community affairs?

Turkey frier is lpg Tom supplied by Wal-Mart USA not to be confused with ASDA Wal-Mart UK (yes your supermarkets are here) and will be tried out very soon,the lpg fittings are the same in the UK as the USA i ran the motorhome from a 19kg bottle untill i sourced an addaptor to fill the lpg tank .We bought the frier straight after the riends we stayed with fried one the only thing i forgot was the stand where you cook a chicken with a beer can inside ,never tried that but sure sounds good to me

Two years  ago at the RV Forum QZ rally we fried only one turkey and several folks didn't get any.  So last Year we fried two turkeys for the QZ RV Forum potluck and I think everybody that wanted some got some.  Not one piece left over.

Fried Turkey is good.  Try frying a roast sometime.

Thanks for the clarification on the LPG thread Ian. Nice to know that there's some compatibility.

Now where do you buy a turkey with a beer can inside? Do they grow them that way, or is the beer can part of the stuffing? Is this a version of 'drunken shrimp' we used to eat in restaurants in the orient years ago? They'd bring live shrimp to the table in a large glass container that looked like an oversized brandy snifter. They'd pour in some liquor and you'd get to see the creatures get merrier and merrier until they eventually fell over, nissed as a pewt so to speak. Then they cooked them for you to eat.

Tom,

Here's one recipe: http://www.outofthefryingpan.com/recipes/chicken.beer.butt.shtml

Here's another: http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/basic_beercan_c.php

Do a Google search on "beer can chicken" (with the quotes).

LOL Ned, Kev's Beer Butt Chicken doesn't sound like a very appetizing dish. I prefer good old home made stuffing to a beer can.

Our landlord here in Yuma made some last year and it was very good.  Nice and tender and juicy.  You don't eat the beer can :)

Ned said:
You don't eat the beer can

Ah, thanks for the clarification. When I was growing up, the rule was "don't leave anything on your plate". Hopefully, the can is removed before serving.

You can carve the bird right on the can, it makes a nice stand :)

We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with John and Judy Maguire this year - at Squamish near Seattle where they were married six years ago.  John made us an offer we couldn't refuse:  full day health spa for Liliane and Judy and a glass of cardboard red wine for me!

Terry

Good to hear you will be over here for Thanksgiving.  Please tell John and Judy hi for us.  Anychance you going to get in the AZ area this trip?

{{{Ned and Lorna are fulltime RVers travelling the US

5044479 nfreiter
Re: Gunpowder, treason and plot
? Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 03:37:03 PM ?
Our landlord here in Yuma made some last year and it was very good.  Nice and tender and juicy.  You don't eat the beer can Smiley}}}

Tom said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. When I was growing up, the rule was "don't leave anything on your plate". Hopefully, the can is removed before serving.

ROTFLMHO!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks,
Jack and Liz

Ron  - not this trip I regret,  we're going to Australia and New Zealand in January so have to save some pennies for that.  but yes in 2007.

Terry

Just learnt something I didnt know.  That canadians celebrated a thanksgiving day as well as the states.  What are they thanksgiving for?    Not something we Brits did in the past was it  :)  I was crap at history in school.

Tony,

Here's the U.S. Thanksgiving story and here's the Canadian Thanksgiving story.

Wales was going to celebrate its own Thanksgiving day, but changed it to a day of mourning to recognize the day the Severn Bridge was opened, allowing English folks to trespass on Welsh soil.

The campground I stay at every year in September-October celebrates Canadian Thanksgiving Day by having a pitch-in dinner with the CG providing the turkey, venison, and ham and the guests providing a covered dish. They shut the water off to the campsites the following week and this makes an excellent end to the camping season there.

Sunset Inn and Campground, Backawana Bay, Ontario

Woody

Back
Top Bottom